• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best songs on today's country radio

vchimpanzee

Walk of Fame Participant
This is for those of you who feel as I do: that today's country radio isn't worth hearing. But we know there's still some good stuff out there. Not counting the REALLY old songs like Alabama and Randy Travis which get played for some strange reason on the so-called "hot country" stations, what are the good songs that even these stations play?

Please, no Taylor Swift or Miley Cyrus here. I will concede one Carrie Underwood song, "I Told You So"--although that's a duet with Randy anyway.

"15 Minutes" by Rodney Atkins is the first song I thought of.

There's another thread here that has a bunch of songs I listed.

George Strait-River of Love
Trick Pony-Pour Me
I think Brad Paisley's new single Welcome to The Future is cool too.

But the best is Kenny Chesney's "She Thinks my Tractor's Sexy"!. I think that's the best song on all of new country radio. (I don't care if was released in 1999, it's TODAY's Country.) Wished it got to the Top 5! (Only got to #11).

Alan Jackson-Sissy's Song (beautiful!)
Rodney Atkins-15 Minutes
Tracy Byrd-Ten Rounds with Jose Curevo
Tracy Lawrence (with Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney)- Find out Who Your friends Are

A song that almost makes me cry
Brad Paisley-We Danced

-crainbebo

Jason Micheal Carrol - Where I'm From
Alan Jackson - Sissy's Song
Billy Currington - People are Crazy (currently a chart-topper)

None,oop's sorry being a harda$$,Some tunes are ok, as long they sound like country,not rock and roll, also ,until they get.overplayed ,then it's time to change the dial.

Zac Brown - Whatever it is and Chicken Fried
Dierks Bentley - sideways
Anything Rodney Atkins
Jason Aldean - relentless
tim mcgraw - live like you were dying
Garth Brooks - the dance

Timmy said:
Garth Brooks - the dance

I think that's a little too old for this thread.

-crainbebo

crainbebo said:
Timmy said:
Garth Brooks - the dance

I think that's a little too old for this thread.

-crainbebo

I think "Tractor" is a little too old for this thread too. Besides, this topic is intended for current songs, which "tractor" is not.
Back to topic: the best songs right now: Darius Rucker's singles so far. Others include "Last Call" by LeAnn Wolmac, Whatever it Is by Zac Brown, People are Crazy by Deriks Bently, Lady Antebllum "Run to You," "what I'm for" by Pat Green, Marinda Lambert still amazes me - "Gunpowder and Lead" is a great song, "Big Green Tractor" by Jason Aldean is growing on me, and "Cleaning this Gun" by Rodney Atkins is still a favorite of mine - that will be me in 17 years : ;D.

Honerable mention goes out to "Here Comes Goodbye" by Rascal Flats simply for not going extreme pop on this song and "It's America" by Rodney Adkins for leaving politics out of the song.

People are Crazy is by Currington, not Bently :)

PTBoardOp94 said:

Yes it is and it's one of my favorites. I love the lyric about leaving the 6 pack on the old mans grave.

Gloriana - Wild At Heart
Love And Theft - Runaway
Any Darius Rucker tune
Alan Jackson - Sissy's Song
Zac Brown Band - Toes
Brad Paisley - Then
Dierks Bentley - Sideways
Toby Keith - God Love Her (what do you guys think about his brand new tune "American Ride"?)
Jimmy Wayne - I'll Be That
Keith Urban - Sweet Thing

More

Jake Owen-Don't Think I Can't Love You

Fun tunes
Jonathan Singleton and the Grove-Livin' in Paradise
Toby Keith-American Ride
Toby Keith-Get Drunk and Be Somebody

-crainbebo

Jay F said:
PTBoardOp94 said:

Yes it is and it's one of my favorites. I love the lyric about leaving the 6 pack on the old mans grave.

Oops. I used to be real good at matching songs with artists in my younger days. Guess all that Jack Daniels does kill brain cells. :eek:

Hank Williams Jr.-Red, White, and Pink Slip Blues

-crainbebo

sdh483 said:
Marinda Lambert still amazes me - "Gunpowder and Lead" is a great song, "Big Green Tractor" by Jason Aldean is growing on me, and "Cleaning this Gun" by Rodney Atkins is still a favorite of mine - that will be me in 17 years : ;D.

Honerable mention goes out to "Here Comes Goodbye" by Rascal Flats simply for not going extreme pop on this song and "It's America" by Rodney Adkins for leaving politics out of the song.
Miranda Lambert, Jason Aldean and Rascal Flatts shouldn't be mentioned here.

This is a thread for those of use who think country radio is garbage but admit there are still a few good songs left.

These three have proved they are part of the problem.

vchimpanzee said:
sdh483 said:
Marinda Lambert still amazes me - "Gunpowder and Lead" is a great song, "Big Green Tractor" by Jason Aldean is growing on me, and "Cleaning this Gun" by Rodney Atkins is still a favorite of mine - that will be me in 17 years : ;D.

This is a thread for those of use who think country radio is garbage but admit there are still a few good songs left.

No, that's a different thread. This one is called "BEST songs on today's country radio".

I do love Miranda Lambert myself. She is one of my favorite newer artists. Her songs are modern and contemporary, yet if you really listen they are also country to the core. Her songs can be rough around the edges but that's a slice of American life many can relate to, plus she's so cute that she can pull it off. Her anger comes across as more sassy than offensive.

Jay F said:
No, that's a different thread. This one is called "BEST songs on today's country radio".
Where is that thread? I didn't know if you could even name a thread "For those of you who think country radio is garbage, what are the few songs that are actually good?" Maybe they will let you have a title that long. Anyway, this is explained in the first post.

People Are Crazy - Billy Currington
Sissy's Song - Alan Jackson
Radio Waves - Eli Young Band
Barefoot And Crazy - Jack Ingram
What I'm For - Pat Green
Toes - Zac Brown Band
Alright - Darius Rucker
Don't Think I Don't Think About It - Darius Rucker
It Won't Be Like This For Long - Darius Rucker
Gettin' You Home - Chris Young
Whatever It Is - Zac Brown Band
Chicken Fried - Zac Brown Band
I Just Call You Mine - Martina McBride

Jay F said:
vchimpanzee said:
sdh483 said:

I do love Miranda Lambert myself. She is one of my favorite newer artists. Her songs are modern and contemporary, yet if you really listen they are also country to the core. Her songs can be rough around the edges but that's a slice of American life many can relate to, plus she's so cute that she can pull it off. Her anger comes across as more sassy than offensive.
Nope, just offensive.

Speaking of offensive. "8 Second Ride" by Jake Owen is somewhat offensive to me. Not that I'm a prude. But this song sounds animalistic to me. I am tired of the hookup culture. I miss country singers who had traditional family values such as Paul Overstreet.

Let's compare "8 Second Ride" to a classic country song about a man picking up a woman in a bar "The Chair" by George Strait. These songs give me totally different vibes and I FAR prefer the George Strait song. "The Chair" is a sweet song. The story draws you in and George comes across as so likeable, a humble cowboy who is a true gentleman. Jake Owen comes across as an extremely dominant alpha male and a master PUA. the woman character in the song sounds like she is being driven by her primitive hindbrain.

Jay F,

I agree with you about the traditional values thing. I do play Paul Overstreet - songs like "Sowin' Love," etc.

As far as Jake Owen - I passed on "8 Second Ride," yet "Don't Think I Can't Love You" is still on our playlist.

Our station has definitely moved to the more positive side of country.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom