• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best songs on today's country radio

Great songs..."Sowin' Love" as Mr. McCall mentioned, also "People Are Crazy", Lady Antebellum's "Run to You."
But I don't care for what I heard in Zac Brown Band's "Toes."

ddsparxx said:
Great songs..."Sowin' Love" as Mr. McCall mentioned, also "People Are Crazy", Lady Antebellum's "Run to You."
But I don't care for what I heard in Zac Brown Band's "Toes."

Just like every radio edit, Toes has the following lyric in the album and radio version.

Radio: Toes in the water, toes in the sand
Album: Toes in the water, a$$ in the sand

-crainbebo

Same with my 3 local FMs, A$$ in the sand.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVE the new cut from Lady Antebellum: Need You Now.

This group is gonna be huge! They just need to kill off Sugarland!

Timmy said:

I paid my insurance bill and was subjected to the latest Sugarland.

I'm not saying it was bad, but in a professional office environement that just doesn't sound right.

vchimpanzee said:
Timmy said:

I paid my insurance bill and was subjected to the latest Sugarland.

I'm not saying it was bad, but in a professional office environement that just doesn't sound right.

"Joey" is one of the few Sugarland songs I have liked. But everytime I hear it I think of the Concrete Blonde alternative hit from 20 years ago with the same title.

Any Zac Brown Band song
Any Darius Rucker song
Rodney Atkins - 15 Minutes
Gloriana - Wild at Heart
Love and Theft - Runaway

These songs and more sound like actual country music.

cparkes92 said:
Any Zac Brown Band song
Any Darius Rucker song
Rodney Atkins - 15 Minutes
Gloriana - Wild at Heart
Love and Theft - Runaway

These songs and more sound like actual country music.

I guess we all have different definitions of what "actual country music" is because I have seen the Gloriana and especially the Love and Theft song being criticized as too pop.

The only song you listed that is traditional (to the point of being stereotypical) is "15 minutes". Personally I like the full spectrum of sounds on the format. I never remember a time when everything played on Country radio was pure country. Even in the early 90s neo-traditional era there were some pop sounding product on the charts, If Country radio had a strict definition of what country is and every song played was traditional I don't think the format would have been successful as it has been over the decades.

Most of today's stuff I can take or leave...but I do like David Nail-Red Light,Martina McBride-I Just Call You Mine,Jason Michael Carroll-Where I'm From and Joe Nichols-Believers.

Kind of random, but WYCD in Detroit has been playing a song by Colt Ford called "Ridin' Through The Country" check it out, you guys say that Gloriana and Love & Theft are not country sounding. Check this one out. I actually like it though, it definatly goes way out of the country boundaries and still is a country song.

One song that sounds good has the words "Country folks livin' loud". It's not loud.

There's another one I heard that I liked but I can't think of the name. I think it had something to do with a man wanting to take his wife home when she was dressed up.

vchimpanzee said:
One song that sounds good has the words "Country folks livin' loud". It's not loud.

There's another one I heard that I liked but I can't think of the name. I think it had something to do with a man wanting to take his wife home when she was dressed up.

Song #1 - Country Folks (Livin' Loud) by The Lost Trailers
Song #2 - Gettin' You Home (The Black Dress Song) by Chris Young

I thought I was going to remember this man's name. He was on one of those countdown shows. The song was about all the great things about living in a small town and he had three names.

vchimpanzee said:
I thought I was going to remember this man's name. He was on one of those countdown shows. The song was about all the great things about living in a small town and he had three names.

"Small Town USA" by Justin Moore? He only has two names though.

Jay F said:
vchimpanzee said:

It may have been another song but the other guy has three names.

vchimpanzee said:
Jay F said:
vchimpanzee said:

"Where I'm From" by Jason Michael Carroll?

I must admit I like "15 Minutes" even though it is a bit stereotypical redneck (but I'll take stereotypical over pop garbage any day)

My favorite *recent* song that I haven't seen mentioned is Eric Church "Love Your Love The Most"... When I first heard it I didn't care for it--but it soon got to the point where I sang along every time--and we started getting loads of request. I still have it a little heavier than it should be since it's on the way down--but it is just a good song (with just a small bit of the stereotypical redneck-ness)

My favorite *new* song is the Lost Trailers--County Folk Gettin' Loud... it's just fun. Another fun new song is Josh Thompson "Beer On The Table"--but my gut says he's unknown and will drop while the Trailers will get a decent hit.

Speaking of the Lost Trailers, I have always liked them--who remembers their own release of Chicken Fried--back before Zac Brown made it their hit? Back around 2005 I spun it on a CC station I worked for at the time (they also had a song called Call Me Crazy)--if I remember, it was what I considered a "CC Artist Push single" so it never really took off outside of CC stations--even though I liked the Trailer's version much better than Brown's--in fact I have sprinkled it back in lightly since Zac Brown released theirs.

Mac Daddy said:
vchimpanzee said:
Jay F said:
vchimpanzee said:

"Where I'm From" by Jason Michael Carroll?
That's the name! I'm not sure it's the song, but it might be.

There's another song with "Good-bye" in several languages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom