Player 101

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Player 101

Player 101

Just an FYI for those who have thought about going with the Player 101 product. It's not Nexgen. Although they claim it to be a strip-down version, it's far from being as stable and good. Just a warning that if you cannot afford to go with at least the basic Nexgen product, buying somehting else might be a better idea. We are having some stability issues and have been on the phone with tech support no less than 4 times. They are 'helpful' but I get the impression from several of them that Player101 is like a fly buzzing around their head. I sure wished I could have got the owner of this unit to buy the real Nexgen.

Re: Player 101

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRadioGuy
    Just an FYI for those who have thought about going with the Player 101 product. It's not Nexgen. Although they claim it to be a strip-down version, it's far from being as stable and good. Just a warning that if you cannot afford to go with at least the basic Nexgen product, buying somehting else might be a better idea. We are having some stability issues and have been on the phone with tech support no less than 4 times. They are 'helpful' but I get the impression from several of them that Player101 is like a fly buzzing around their head. I sure wished I could have got the owner of this unit to buy the real Nexgen.
    It's not stable? I have run it on my station and had it running for as long as close to 90 days without a reboot or close of the application. (only reason I had to reboot was blasted windows updates fixing security issues in windows).

RCS has a forum, I suggest you check it out and continue to work with support to find a solution to your issues.

One thing I have found over the years dealing with computers. If windows is not stable or the hardware is not stable any software running on it will have issues. The only time I have had issues with any automation software was a few years ago when caps blew on my motherboard and caused windows to frequently crash out of the blue.

I know that I have said this was the best to use, but I have to agree that it's not the same as Nexgen. I downloaded Nexgen Demo and I must say that it does not sound the same nor does it work as good. I am wondering if by stripping all the bells and whistles, they messed up the audio and other stuff. I am no tech person, but I am a audiophile, even the standard MPEG 1 Layer II sounds way better in the NEXGEN system than it does in Player101. Try it for yourself, call it a side by side comparison, and you will notice a difference. Playing it on the internet is one thing, but playing it on a FM station is another.I think we are going all cd again. It seems to be more reliable.Something else too, if you get this you have to buy the support. As for the boards I posted quite alot of question that have been ignored on the RCS boards. They do not always respond back. And in the last 2-4 months it has become a ghostown! :
    Kindest Regards,<br />Thomas E.<br />Big Mix Radio <br />http://bigmixradio.com<br />All Star 80s<br />http://allstar80s.com<br />DJCMedia <br />http://djcmedia.com

Yeah I am having problems with it I have a buffering issue in there software that is causing it to skip and do all kinds of weird stuff, Then I have to have a Mpeg layer2 audio and there built in converter sucks, It is not Nexgen If anyone at RCS software development has a clue and would like to email me please do because I was on the phone with tech support and to no avail it was not fixed I know I have the low grade stuff but I am also looking at a new Nexgen unit for a friend station and if I keep having hell with 101 then I might as well stay with Scott Studios :-\

My 101 is not even 6 months old and been a pain in my butt.

RyanBeam@hotmail.com

I found that with any automation system, I good quality sound card was necessary. I used psi 101 (now it is Player101) and I found I could walk away for months at a time and it would stay up and running. All my audio was mpeg layer2 and I didn't have a problem. I had a friend that refused to use anything but pcm and she never had a problem with her 101 system.

Let's face it, if you use a robust automation system like nexgen, it is going to be able to do more and give you more. If you go with a less-expensive system, you get what you pay for.

Yes. That's true on the getting what you pay for part for sure! The system we are having issues with is a Dell that we specifically spec'ed out to be the same as what the folks at RCS told us to buy and what they use. The sound card is the pro card we bought from them that is the same as they normally put in the system. We aren't doing anything too unusual other than buying the actual computer through Dell instead of directly from RCS. That's too bad too. I REALLY wished we had bought the whole damn thing from them so we could just hand it back to them and tell them we wanted a WORKING unit this time. I am VERY underwelmed by the product. If tech support groans (but is generally polite about it and 'helpful') then it may be time to say bye-bye to the product line. RCS isn't doing themselves any favors keeping something onboard that creates headaches. Maybe we have some bad hardware or a corruped OS. Who knows. I'm just at my limits and appearently RCS's limits on how to correct the problem while enduring failure after failure.

I am going to be getting a Audio Science card and try it. I wish I could afford the NexGen software. The demo was far better than Player101. Maybe it's not the software as such, maybe its the bundled software that comes with my computer. Even though it is Windows XP Service pack 3. I hope that resolves the problem or at least helps it. And you are right JimmyNeutron when you said "If you go with a less-expensive system, you get what you pay for." My problem is sound quality and levels.I am hoping I can get this right.
    Kindest Regards,<br />Thomas E.<br />Big Mix Radio <br />http://bigmixradio.com<br />All Star 80s<br />http://allstar80s.com<br />DJCMedia <br />http://djcmedia.com

I am going to be getting a Audio Science card and try it. I wish I could afford the NexGen software. The demo was far better than Player101.
    NexGen has (what I would consider) the best playout when it comes to audioscience cards. The 101 software uses the windows-compatible playout so there could definitely be some noticeable differences, which you have seen.

Three things that are a must when you're having problems with an automation system:

1. Memory - put 4GB in the system and be done with it. Memory's cheap, but solves a LOT of problems.

2. Run chkdsk. Open up "My Computer", right-click on the hard drive, select "Properties". When the window opens, go to "Tools", look for "Error Checking", then select "Check Now". Make sure to check "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". Say OK, and the system will tell you that it can't do it now, and ask you if you want to run chkdsk on reboot. YES. Reboot. It will take from 30 minutes to hours, depending on the size of the hard drive and the problems encountered. When it's done, the boot will complete. This way, you'll know that the hardware works and that your data is intact.

3. Defragment. I don't care if it says you don't need to. Automation systems are databases - large data files with lots of little records. Those large data files end up scattered all over the hard drive, especially if you're making lots of changes. Defragmentation - WEEKLY - makes a difference in performance.

Computer hardware is the heart of your radio station. Cheaping out on the heart of your automation system is just foolish.
    Here we go again...

"Computer hardware is the heart of your radio station. Cheaping out on the heart of your automation system is just foolish." That, my friend, is the best advice of all!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast