• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New FM, KNAN on-air

You're right about it being moot now with the Kahuku filing, but prior to that, there is a spot near Makaha that
KNAN could have used to go C1 even with KUHI remaining as is. From that spot, a C1 would cover Nanakuli which
would be required for an upgrade. Being able to show that there is a site to legally put a C1 would allow them
to file under 73.215 and put the transmitter up above Makakilo. The only area of interference would be over water
so it would be pretty smooth sailing. These type of upgrades fly through the FCC pretty quickly now under the new
rules. Three to four months at most but it's too late now. They are really screwed unless they write Vic Michael a
REALLY big check and I'm assuming the reason they got into this situation to begin with is they have no money
so don't hold your breath on that one.

I see that. Filed on August 10th 2009. Of course the FCC operates on first come, first served, so the Kahuku filing of
July 23rd 2009 will block them. They proposed a new tower location. It's near the tower that KPOI and several others
are on. It would be a 41 meter tower.

These guys really seem to have no clue. My guess is that they are hoping that when the FCC opens the Kahuku filing
for comments they'll object but it won't do any good. They simply were too late and the FCC will grant the new station
in Kahuku.

There is no place on the island of Oahu that they can legally upgrade to a C-2. They could go to Kauai but since they
are the only station licensed to Nanakuli the FCC would not let them do that either. The only place they can put their
C-3 is a tiny strip out on the very tip of Barbers Point that is 1.5 miles long by 3 miles wide and it is all very flat.
From there they can't even hit Pearl City with a 70dBu signal.

The FCC has released the NPRM, (Notice of Proposed Rule Making), to allocate 107.1 to Kahuku. Comments are to be filed by December 14 and Reply Comments by December 29...

How interesting...
That CP is back at the Salem site on Palehua, and I don't see how it got granted.
The CP site is about 32 km from the Kahuku CP site.
Since both stations are C3's, they need 43 km spacing under 73.207 and 37 km under 73.215.
Their application certified that they meet the spacing under 73.207. I really don't understand how they did that with a straight face...

radiode said:
How interesting...
That CP is back at the Salem site on Palehua, and I don't see how it got granted.
Since both stations are C3's, they need 43 km spacing under 73.207 and 37 km under 73.215.
Their application certified that they meet the spacing under 73.207. I really don't understand how they did that with a straight face...

The Kahuku allocation application was denied, based upon a timing technicality. Vic Michael will probably appeal, but I don't see that being successful. From the way the determination was worded, it looked like the FCC did not like the way things went, and found a way to stop things from being more complicated, and give the earlier parties the advantage.
Sometimes, it just works that way.

Don Mussell said:
radiode said:
How interesting...

The Kahuku allocation application was denied, based upon a timing technicality. Vic Michael will probably appeal, but I don't see that being successful. From the way the determination was worded, it looked like the FCC did not like the way things went, and found a way to stop things from being more complicated, and give the earlier parties the advantage.
Sometimes, it just works that way.

That's good. Perhaps the FCC is finally getting wise to Vic Michael.

So, what's the latest on this station? It looks like the FCC granted the license in June of 2009, but they haven't been on the air much since then. They've got a CP that expires a few days after the license for the main station for the upgrade to C2. Has anyone heard anything more? I see an FCC update on radio locator on February 18, 2013, so will do some more digging on that, but if anyone can tell before I can, just post here.

Actually, looks like February 28, must have typed or been thinking wrong. It looks like they come on the air for about 24 hours every 9 months or so. Can they not feed the current site on a more permanent basis?

It sure seems this thread has kind of died. What's the latest on this station? It looks like the station has been on the air with a Hot AC format since 2016, not sure if it's at the CP site mentioned earlier in this thread, but it looks like it might be. There's no web presence or stream for this thing.

It sure seems this thread has kind of died. What's the latest on this station? It looks like the station has been on the air with a Hot AC format since 2016, not sure if it's at the CP site mentioned earlier in this thread, but it looks like it might be. There's no web presence or stream for this thing.

It was simulcasting KVGQ from the Las Vegas the last time I was there (In December). No local mentions or even a legal ID and a lot of dropouts. FCC anyone? Funny thing...Yesterday the Vegas station changed from Q106.9 to Da Bomb which should cause problems in the Honolulu.

I usually go to Oahu twice a year, but haven't been since December thanks to the pandemic. :(

It was simulcasting KVGQ from the Las Vegas the last time I was there (In December). No local mentions or even a legal ID and a lot of dropouts. FCC anyone? Funny thing...Yesterday the Vegas station changed from Q106.9 to Da Bomb which should cause problems in the Honolulu.

I usually go to Oahu twice a year, but haven't been since December thanks to the pandemic. :(

since a local studio is no longer required, id bet KNAN is fed by a webstream using a computer at the transmitter site

They've been doing this for years.

Doesnt surprise me. .either theyre hoping for the economy to get better and just holding onto it so they can operate it better/staffing wise or till they can sell it

not like any of us are surprised, but the online public file for KNAN lists a las vegas address as the main studio.. home to Da bomb and KMZQ-AM, Kemp's other stations

https://publicfiles.fcc.gov/fm-profile/knan

Interesting! I just happened to be listening to the new KVGQ when I wrote that post yesterday. Good station, but seriously why all the simulcasting? I can't even be sure you can just flip over to 99.3 once you lose 106.9 out of Vegas, and there's certainly no way to hit Honolulu.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom