• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is WGRB Gospel Radio 1390AM really that BIG in the city?

At least according to the Arbitron lists, No, WGCI has about 1.3 Million, WGRB has 300K Cume.
Perhaps in the City of Chicago proper and nearby areas WGRB has a loyal following as many Gospel stations do, and its signal is also best there.

Not sure where the claim is being made that WGRB is more popular than WGCI. Each of these stations appeal to a specific population
within the market, and I don't feel they are directly competing with each other. In fact some of the same listeners may, in the course
of a week tune in to either of the two stations...

1390 used to be a great station back in the mid-90's when it was R&B oldies as WGCI "Dusty Radio". I remember lots a reverb, DJ's that were live and local, and broadcasting in AM stereo. They played lots of 70's stuff, and occasionally you would even a crossover hit like Peter Frampton.

Marv Dyson and the idiots at Cheap Channel killed the format because 1390 was taking away to many listeners from co-owned WGCI-FM and WVAZ, so they they flipped the station to Gospel. What a shame that pathetic decision was.

avtosalon said:
1390 used to be a great station back in the mid-90's when it was R&B oldies as WGCI "Dusty Radio". I remember lots a reverb, DJ's that were live and local, and broadcasting in AM stereo. They played lots of 70's stuff, and occasionally you would even a crossover hit like Peter Frampton.

Marv Dyson and the idiots at Cheap Channel killed the format because 1390 was taking away to many listeners from co-owned WGCI-FM and WVAZ, so they they flipped the station to Gospel. What a shame that pathetic decision was.

I couldn't agree with you more. Dusty Radio 1390 was a great format.
It's a shame that it's gone.

Dusty was a favourite of mine to0. I loved the liners. "Nothing but dusties". They had a sense of humour and were a fantastic station. The ratings were decent to0.

mimo said:
Dusty was a favourite of mine to0. I loved the liners. "Nothing but dusties". They had a sense of humour and were a fantastic station. The ratings were decent to0.

It was a big loss when that station went away.

stormy01 said:
At least according to the Arbitron lists, No, WGCI has about 1.3 Million, WGRB has 300K Cume.
Perhaps in the City of Chicago proper and nearby areas WGRB has a loyal following as many Gospel stations do, and its signal is also best there.

Not sure where the claim is being made that WGRB is more popular than WGCI. Each of these stations appeal to a specific population
within the market, and I don't feel they are directly competing with each other. In fact some of the same listeners may, in the course
of a week tune in to either of the two stations...

I see. :)

mimo said:

I say Krap Khannel should sell WGRB to local owners, and get the dusties back on 1390! Dusties sound great on AM )))Stereo(((

stormy01 said:
mimo said:

I say Krap Khannel should sell WGRB to local owners, and get the dusties back on 1390! Dusties sound great on AM )))Stereo(((
]

LOL!!! "Krap Khannel"! Yeah dusties and oldies sound GREAT on AM. :D

I used to go out of my way when traveling to, through, or near Chicago to check out the "dusties" on WGCI-AM (I believe those were the calls) 1390! Great format, flawlessly executed.

BRNout said:
I used to go out of my way when traveling to, through, or near Chicago to check out the "dusties" on WGCI-AM (I believe those were the calls) 1390! Great format, flawlessly executed.

It was an excellent format with great music. The late Richard Pegue did afternoons I believe.

radioman148 said:
BRNout said:

It was an excellent format with great music. The late Richard Pegue did afternoons I believe.

Yes he did, another legend at that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom