• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Worst songs on country radio

VChimp - maybe what you heard was "The Climb" by Miley "Hannah Montana" Cyrus? There is just no escaping that song right now, it's everywhere - CHR, AC, Hot AC, Country, and of course Cyrus' traditional stomping grounds, Radio Disney. Urban is about the only current-based format that ISN'T playing it.

These are the ones I like out of this list:

#1: Kenny Chesney-She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy (best song in all of country music!! I wished it got to the top 5, it only got to #11)

#9: Toby Keith-Should've been a Cowboy

#12: Eddie Rabbitt-I Love a Rainy Night (just a HIT!)
#13: Alabama-I'm in a Hurry (And Don't Know Why)
#14: Rodney Atkins-15 Minutes (FUN song!)

And I do agree with this.

Worst songs
I really don't like She's country by Jason Aldean. HORRID ROCK!!!!

I'm not a fan of a lot of the pop country songs that are out right now. Gloriana "Wild at Heart" as well as Love and Theft "Runaway" are the two songs at the top of my list that aren't country. I'm not saying they are bad songs, or the groups aren't good, but they aren't my style and not what I want to hear on country radio. At the same time, I'm being a flip-flopper because I do kind of dig Taylor Swift. Yes she's played on every other station in the market, yes her songs are about teenage girls, but she WAS a teenage girl when she wrote them. I think if she gets a 14 year old girl to listen to country radio then that's a win for us. That 14 year old girl will now also hear Brad Paisley, George Strait, Alan Jackson, and maybe some old school Willie and Waylon.

Country music isn't what it was 30 years ago, nothing is. The key to country music is great songwriting. As long as guys like Radney Foster, Bruce Robison, and others are writing songs that make people feel an emotional connection, then the genre will always be what it was meant to be.

I must be one of the few that likes both traditional and pop sounding country. Even if "Wild At Heart" and "Runway" are more pop than country, they sound better and fresher to me than the Nickelback soundalike bands heard on Hot AC. I like the variety on country right now.

Taylor Swift is not only good for getting younger listeners to Country (although she can be heard just about everywhere) her songs are really good, I can't get enough of "You Belong With Me". Same thing with Miley's "The Climb".

Children's country is Miley, Taylor and Carrie. Every 12 year old girl would fall in love with Taylor Swift.

-crainbebo

Getting back to the worst songs, I heard one called "Holler Back".

There's another one that's not THAT bad but not good about Romeo and Juliet.

The key to knowing a song is bad is not knowing what type of station you are on. I mostly listen to an old radio in the kitchen that just as a red line that moves when I turn the knob. Sometimes I think I'm on the AC station when I'm really on the country station because I didn't happen to skip over another country station with a weak signal. And if I don't know the difference, then it ain't country.

That's by a band called "The Lost Trailers". A top-10 hit for them. Speaking of bad songs, Small Town USA by Justin Moore is so popular, it can air every 4 hours on my station.

-crainbebo

The bad word in Boots On is this:

"Damn this knuckle bustin'"

-crainbebo

crainbebo said:
That's by a band called "The Lost Trailers". A top-10 hit for them. Speaking of bad songs, Small Town USA by Justin Moore is so popular, it can air every 4 hours on my station.

-crainbebo

For your typical hot/today's country station, how fast of a rotation do the biggest songs typically get? 4 hours seems a little light. Maybe 2 hours? What do you all see/hear?

Thanks.

4-5 hours is the treatment current hits got when I was working a classic country station.

Looking at yes.com for WFMS/Indianapolis, they spun Paisley "Then" at 9am and 12n, which seems to be the strongest rotation over the past few hours. But WFMS plays about 3-4 currents per hour.

I then went to WSIX/Nashville. They also spun Paisly "Then" on a 3 hour rotation. They're pretty recurrent heavy, also.

WKDF/Nashville is more current-heavy and had McGraw "A business doing pleasure with you" on a 2 hour rotation.

WKHX/Atlanta seems to have its power currents also on a 3 hour rotation.

I'm not too familiar with any of these stations, so I don't know if they bill themselves as today's country or what.

Ok so everyone is on their hands and knees at the presence of Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood. IMO, I am SO SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING BOTH!!! It's not that they're bad artists, it's just pure overkill.

Keith Urban is an alright artist, but I lost count on how many times he's wanted to "Kiss a Girl." Thanks, Keith. For a moment there, I thought you wanted to kiss a guy. Even though you're married to Nicole Kidman, I was questioning your sexality prior to the release of this song.

Kid Rock "All Summer Long," why the hell is this piece of s*hit song played at all? I'm going to write some watered down lyrics about 1989 and set it to "Ramblin Man" so I can get a hit song. Which remids me, I am going to staple a "No Sweet Home Alabama" sign next to the "No Stairway to Heaven" sign at the guitar center.

I am tired of "All Summer Long". It was OK for the summer of 08 but I still hear it all the time in the summer of 09. I don't accept Kid Rock as a country artist. He has too much rock swag.

Country stations are their so-called 'powers' or 'power cuts' 5 or 6 times per day; a handful of stations may go higher.

The most irritating thing about 'She's Country' is that it's the #1 single of the year so far at country radio (Mediabase/Country Aircheck), and it could finish at #1 unless somebody overtakes it over the final four months (through Nov. 28th) of the 2009 chart year.

Jay F said:
I am tired of "All Summer Long". It was OK for the summer of 08 but I still hear it all the time in the summer of 09. I don't accept Kid Rock as a country artist. He has too much rock swag.

If a majority of the audience rejected it, they wouldn't play it. How else do you think songs (if not artists) cross over?

I realize that. That's just my personal opinion. Although, my hunch is Kid Rock would not be able to pull off having a steady stream of country hits,if that's even something he wants.

My rotation is 4 times a day. I hate hearing a song ever 2-3 hours. The main complaint from radio listeners is hearing the same thing over and over again. I personally try to stay away from that. Hearing the new Taylor Swift followed by an old school Brooks & Dunn is the way I like to do it.

Kid Rock shouldn't be played on country radio. What makes it country? He hangs out with Hank Williams Jr.? I hung out with some rappers a couple of times, doesn't mean I'm going to put my hat in the rapping ring.

Marv-L.A. said:
Country stations are their so-called 'powers' or 'power cuts' 5 or 6 times per day; a handful of stations may go higher.

The most irritating thing about 'She's Country' is that it's the #1 single of the year so far at country radio (Mediabase/Country Aircheck), and it could finish at #1 unless somebody overtakes it over the final four months (through Nov. 28th) of the 2009 chart year.
Not true. It's the unrelenting rock guitar that makes the song unsalvageable.

vchimpanzee said:
Marv-L.A. said:

Not true. It's the unrelenting rock guitar that makes the song unsalvageable.

It's the lyrics and only the lyrics that put this song in the realm of country. I wonder if the fact that stations have less budget to do callout research has helped "She's Country" to become the huge hit it is? I know at one time, not that long ago, country listeners had a problem with songs that rocked this hard. In fact they had more negativity towards songs that sounded too rock than too pop. Then again maybe times have changed?

There's one song with the lyrics "Keep the Faith" that I absolutely can't stand.

Another song has a reference to bonfires.

Then there's one about American something or other where the wife loves "Desperate Housewives". I like that show, by the way. The women are hot.

vchimpanzee said:
There's one song with the lyrics "Keep the Faith" that I absolutely can't stand.

Another song has a reference to bonfires.

Then there's one about American something or other where the wife loves "Desperate Housewives". I like that show, by the way. The women are hot.

The second song is "Bonfire" by Craig Morgan. Current single.

The third song is "American Ride" by Toby Keith. Current single. I love that song.

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom