• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Worst songs on country radio

i love that shania! which has had some friends, and an ex GF thinking im dr jekyl, mr hyde, based upon my many decades long crusade, and love for genuine red, white, and blue hard core country tammy, connie, loretta, dolly, patsy, jean and of course leona williams. but, that first US release from shania is great. even some of her pop country is smokin hot, like "that dont impress me much".

got to meet shania at the CRS in nashville, right when her first, and 2nd single was getting good rotations. she was showcased by mercury records, with two other artists, who soon fell by the wayside, after stiffed singles.

her crystal clear, sometimes karen carpenterish vocals, must be a dream for a producer to work with. right mutt???

scott salvatori said:
she was showcased by mercury records, with two other artists, who soon fell by the wayside, after stiffed singles.

Hmmm...one of those two other artists was a big guy from Oklahoma named Toby Keith. I guess he never amounted to much.

ya, thats right....toby keith. he had around four dozen hits, and faded into obscurity after "American made". haha.

the other mercury artists name was jon brannan. right?

so much for my alcohol induced rememories from nashville 93

I'd toss pretty much anything with Kid Rock in it.....

scott salvatori said:
thanks for the edumacation on miranda lamberts early career recording. yep, nope i aint got it in my stack.. but, its cool to get those early career recordings from artists who make it big time. seems ive got a few early sammy kershaw, michelle wright releases somewhere. anyone got the early shania album, under the name eileen twain?

If you really want to hear Miranda's album, it is uploaded to Grooveshark. Grooveshark is in a bit of a gray area when it comes to legality, but don't want to pay $325+ for it on ebay, this may be one of your only chances to hear it. It is also partly on youtube, if you dig.

As far as worst songs on the radio, definitely anything by Luke Bryan. In his attempts to be country, he is making country music look bad.

TheBigA said:
scott salvatori said:
she was showcased by mercury records, with two other artists, who soon fell by the wayside, after stiffed singles.
Hmmm...one of those two other artists was a big guy from Oklahoma named Toby Keith. I guess he never amounted to much.
For a couple of years there, it appeared that Shania might have been one of the "two who fell by the wayside," as Keith's career took off first.

Fishin' Trace Adkins?

-crainbebo

Some of the rock and pop cross overs aren't too bad but in general there is way way way too much rock and pop crap coming out today calling it's self country music. It is by far too loud with rock gutair, little if any country rhythm or sound of any kind in most cases, and the country feeling that you use to get deep down in side when you listened to a country song is long long gone. Talking about country music, country life, and country ways in general in the lyrics of song doesn't make it country music. If there is no country feeling in a song then it just ain't country music no matter how hard you try.

10-4 on that! the logic is this: if we slippery slope the music away from that backwards sounding fiddle, banjo, steel guitar, and the rubes who made it, we will increase the listener base, sales, and ratings for the urbanite city dweller major market pre 25 hipster crowd.

but, fact is when you rip the roots of the genre out of the ground, the crop eventually dies. my finger points at a bunch of record companies, producers, and all the puppet act major market duopoly radio stations, and even the lesser ones that just follow the pre engineered trends like sheep.

anyone who actually wants to know the real stuff, has to pretty much do their own research/album buying, or maybe dads record/CD collection actually had an influence.

scott salvatori said:
anyone who actually wants to know the real stuff, has to pretty much do their own research/album buying, or maybe dads record/CD collection actually had an influence.

Which is exactly what people SHOULD do. If you don't BUY the music you like, if you don't support it, if you don't go to concerts, THAT is what will kill the music. The problem today is people want what they want, but they don't want to pay for it. You can't do that.

I think the lyrics to another song that was really bad included "hand me a drink" a bunch of times. The lyrics are probably country but the music sure isn't.

I just got off of another forum mentioning disco music in the 70's.Other genders like rock and country were getting in to the mix at the time.The Stone were into it.Bill Anderson had "I Can't Wait Any Longer" out on the charts I though it sounded great.In todays country tunes we have rock and roll and rap influence in the mix along with the cursing.In order to keep up with the times they had to change.If not .Nashville will be out of the music business.

vchimpanzee said:
I think the lyrics to another song that was really bad included "hand me a drink" a bunch of times. The lyrics are probably country but the music sure isn't.

One More Drinkin' Song Jerrod Niemann? I think that song is pretty good...

-crainbebo

WPPCProductions said:
I just got off of another forum mentioning disco music in the 70's.Other genders like rock and country were getting in to the mix at the time.The Stone were into it.Bill Anderson had "I Can't Wait Any Longer" out on the charts I though it sounded great.In todays country tunes we have rock and roll and rap influence in the mix along with the cursing.In order to keep up with the times they had to change.If not .Nashville will be out of the music business.
Was "I Can't Wait Any Longer" the first "disco" song to make the country charts? I remember that Dolly Parton had "Baby, I'm Burnin'" back around 1978 or so. I remember it because it crossed over to the pop charts, but so did some of her other songs from about that time. I distinctly remember that "Baby I'm Burnin'" even had a 12-inch single mix available, probably one of the few country songs to ever get the extended mix treatment.

I cant say yes.But Bill's tune was a classic.

I Cant Wait Any Longer

1978 peak chart From Wikipedia.

U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles 4
U.S. Billboard Hot 100 80
Canadian RPM Country Tracks 1
Canadian RPM Top Singles 99

Dolly's Baby I'm Burning got these results.I like that tune too.

From Wikipedia.

U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles 1
U.S. Billboard Hot 100 25
U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks 11
U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Music/Club Play 15
Canadian RPM Country Tracks 1
Canadian RPM Top Singles 30
Canadian RPM Adult Contemporary Tracks 9

dolly's "baby im burnin", only charted # 48 country. it was the "B" side to the non disco "i really got the feeling", which did hit #1. both awsome songs! you may recall that "baby im burnin'" featured the disco era laser synthesizer sound in its production. as i recall, the LP cover features dolly all snazzed up disco style, on the disco floor.

johnny paycheck, also added disco production to the killer top 10 hit "friend, lover, wife", which was getting fresh spins exactly 33 years ago today, in 1978.

speakin' of whisperin' bill, and his disco style/produced song "i cant wait any longer". the next single released after that was "double S" out in late 78, which made it into the top 40. that song was very heavy on the disco production as well.

it is interesting to see the short lived disco influence that made it into the nashville sound around summer/fall 1978. as i recall, even the greatful dead played with some disco style production around 78, with that cool song "shakedown street"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom