• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Worst songs on country radio

^^^ It could have been the Brantley Gilbert song named "Country Must Be Country Wide". Willlie and Waylon are mentioned in it.
ANY country songs ABOUT how "country" you are AUTOMATICALLY get thumbs down from me. Why? Because it has been done too much! Paying tribute to the greats is one thing, but having to pass some litmus test to show how "country" you are is just simply wrong!

ANY country songs ABOUT how "country" you are AUTOMATICALLY get thumbs down from me. Why? Because it has been done too much! Paying tribute to the greats is one thing, but having to pass some litmus test to show how "country" you are is just simply wrong!
I have no objection to this concept. I like it. As long as the music is as country as the lyrics.

I have no objection to this concept. I like it. As long as the music is as country as the lyrics.
Amen to this. I don't mind a little pop in the songs, but to me, the majority of the song must be country. To me, "Love Thing" from Keith Urban is the perfect example. It doesn't sound country when it first starts, but then comes that great fiddle, then that awesome steel guitar and then later that wonderful banjo!

God bless you and Keith always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

How does that apply to this topic?

You said: If you feel the need to remind everyone how "country" you are, you ain't country.

Replace the word "country" with "patriotic."

My point is people love songs about the country life style for the same reason they love songs about America. They're anthems, and gives them a feeling of pride in who they are.

One example is "I'm From The Country" by Tracy Byrd. This song was written by Marty Brown, and there is no one countrier than Marty. And he will remind you he's country every chance he gets. Same with his co-writer Richard Young of the Kentucky Headhunters. They're from the country, and they like it that way.

Last edited:
My point is people love songs about the country life style for the same reason they love songs about America. They're anthems, and gives them a feeling of pride in who they are.

One example is "I'm From The Country" by Tracy Byrd. This song was written by Marty Brown, and there is no one countrier than Marty. And he will remind you he's country every chance he gets. Same with his co-writer Richard Young of the Kentucky Headhunters. They're from the country, and they like it that way.
Saying that you are "from the country" is not the same as saying that you "are country." One is about where you are from, where you grew up, and the other is about passing some litmus test. I grew up in a rural area, but would never pass such a litmus test.

Saying that you are "from the country" is not the same as saying that you "are country." One is about where you are from, where you grew up, and the other is about passing some litmus test. I grew up in a rural area, but would never pass such a litmus test.

Here are the lyrics to the Brantley Gilbert song. It's not about passing a litmus test. It's a song about pride:

In every state, there's a station
Playin' Cash, Hank, Willie, and Waylon
In foreign cars and four-wheel drives
There's cowboys and hillbillies
From farm towns to big cities
There ain't no doubt in my mind
Country must be country wide

Here are the Tracy Byrd lyrics. Same thing:

Way back up in the country, back in the hills
Down in the hollows where the folks are real
Livin with the crazies and the old wildcats
Sawed off shotguns and coonskin caps
Thats where Im from and Im proud to say
Im from the country and I like it that way

Last edited:
Here are the lyrics to the Brantley Gilbert song. It's not about passing a litmus test. It's a song about pride:

In every state, there's a station
Playin' Cash, Hank, Willie, and Waylon
In foreign cars and four-wheel drives
There's cowboys and hillbillies
From farm towns to big cities
There ain't no doubt in my mind
Country must be country wide

Here are the Tracy Byrd lyrics. Same thing:

Way back up in the country, back in the hills
Down in the hollows where the folks are real
Livin with the crazies and the old wildcats
Sawed off shotguns and coonskin caps
Thats where Im from and Im proud to say
Im from the country and I like it that way
The lyrics are good in both songs. The difference is Tracy Byrd's sounds good. I remember listening to a REal Country affiliate when it was new and the DJs were so excited about it.

I can't stand the rock music in Brantley Gilbert's song.

I found a way to remember lyrics to this one song. Like Tom Bodett on Motel 6 commercials, "leave the light on".

The problem with this song is a beat like one would hear on Hot AC (really AC). Such a thing has no business in country music.

I can't stand Rascal Flatts' new "Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-PAYBACK" song. Wow - so Top 40! FGL's new "Dirt" song is 50x better than the rap they did with Luke Bryan on "This is How We Roll" but FGL is still fairly poor for me.

-crainbebo

To me there is most definitely nothing country about the Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood duet and the new one from Jason Aldean is no better either. I would still much rather hear him sing "When She Says Baby" and "The Truth".

God bless you and him always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood sound like an Active Rock duo in that song - I agree.

^^^ Another song that doesn't sound country is "Ready Set Roll" from new singer Chase Rice. I would have mentioned him earlier, but I wasn't sure if it was him or not.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

>>Florida Georgia Line - "This is How We Roll" - what in the flipping hell is this?!

When Clear Channel debuted WBWL 101.7 the Bull in Lynn/Boston MA, this seemed to get played once per hour. Maybe still is. The idea is to go after young people (17-28 and mainly the female audience) that's picked up on "hot new country"
as "the new top 40". For yrs Boston was not exactly a hotbed of country but little by little Greater Media's WKLB 102.5
(had been on other frequencies before) got higher and higher ratings till they were #1, top 5, etc. CC flipped the
weaker signall-ed WBWL to try and siphon off listeners from WKLB and help out their own CHR WXKS-FM.

The liners have what sound like young women, or young women & men, shouting out "101.7 The Bull!" They had one liner saying, "Now you have your own station and your parents still have theirs"...this led WKLB to drop its longtime country
oldies show and emphasize "#1 for Boston's Hot New Country". Before they were the only game in town...now they have competition. (Similarly, when WRKO was the only all-talk station in Boston they had the liner "the only talk station in town". When WUFC started doing poli & sports talk it was amended to "THE talk station in town"...)

I heard something that was very much a rock song last night. I thought I would remember the title but all I remember is the letter S. It sounded like Miranda Lambert but there are any number of female vocalists who could sound like her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom