• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Worst songs on country radio

vchimpanzee

Walk of Fame Participant
"She's Country" by Gary Aldean is the first song that comes to mind.

I don't care what the lyrics are. The song is pure rock. And way too loud.

As mentioned in another thread: Sugarland It Happens

I'm getting burned on I told you So

not a big fan of chesney's out last night (why were there just 2 singles released from his last CD??)

not huge on Urban's Kiss a Girl

any songs with bad words like Randy Houser "Boots On" ([beep] this knuckle bustin') or Courtesy of The Red, White and Blue by Toby Keith ('Cause we'll put a boot in your [beep]).

I am (kinda') a fan of Out Last Night by Kenny Chesney

Love She's Country by Jason Aldean (even if it's rock or whatever)

vchimpanzee, it's not Gary Aldean, it's Jason Aldean. You are probably thinkin' about Gary Allan.

-crainbebo

crainbebo said:
any songs with bad words like Randy Houser "Boots On" ([beep] this knuckle bustin') or Courtesy of The Red, White and Blue by Toby Keith ('Cause we'll put a boot in your [beep]).

I am (kinda') a fan of Out Last Night by Kenny Chesney

Love She's Country by Jason Aldean (even if it's rock or whatever)

vchimpanzee, it's not Gary Aldean, it's Jason Aldean. You are probably thinkin' about Gary Allan.

-crainbebo
I may have been thinking about him at the time, but I looked up the song and I thought I fixed his name.

It doesn't matter. Aldean is a name I think of when I think of bad music, regardless of the lyrics.

vchimpanzee said:
"She's Country" by Gary Aldean is the first song that comes to mind.

I don't care what the lyrics are. The song is pure rock. And way too loud.

I could'nt agree more. The song was okay at first, but after you hear it once, you don't wanna hear it again. The country station that I listen to plays the h*** out of it and I can't stand it!

The only song that's great by Jason Aldean is "Big Green Tractor". Way too much country!!

-crainbebo

Love and Theft - "Runaway"
Carter Twins - "Heart Like Memphis"
Catlin and Will - "Address in the Stars"

And these are just recent ones. This s^^t ain't country! It keeps getting worse..

I don't have a problem with some rock leaning songs on Country radio (just make sure to seperate them), but "She's Country" isn't that great of a song. Jason Aldean himself has had much better country rock songs in the past.

Maybe I'm too desensitized, but I can't recall offhand what the bad word is in "Boots On". I think it's an awesome song. I love it! It's has a rock sound to it, but the lyrics are pure country lifestyle. Randy Houser really does a great job delivering this song. He sounds so driven and passionate yet at the same time humble and very likeable. That's not always an easy balance. Country needs songs like this to keep men interested in the format.

I would also disagree about "Runaway". I think it's a great song and it's generating a lot of interest in younger demos. It doesn't stand out as being especially non-country sounding to me. It's less pop sounding than some Rascal Flatts songs are for example.

SchlitzBeer said:
Love and Theft - "Runaway"
Carter Twins - "Heart Like Memphis"
Catlin and Will - "Address in the Stars"

And these are just recent ones. This s^^t ain't country! It keeps getting worse..

I disagree with you on all three. "Runaway" is a great tune, The sound of the song may not be so country, but listen to the lyrics and thats when country comes in. Same thing with "Heart Like Memphis" and "Address The Stars". Country music today is no where near what it was thirty or fourty years ago (thank god). It has evolved into a sound similar to todays classic rock and pop. Wonder what country will be like in twenty years.

I couldn't care less about "good" lyrics and the country lifestyle. If it doesn't sound country, I don't want to hear it.

Unless it's on a pop station that I like. I don't get why "For the Good Times" by Ray Price is considered country, but I sure do like it. I heard it this morning.

vchimpanzee said:
Unless it's on a pop station that I like. I don't get why "For the Good Times" by Ray Price is considered country, but I sure do like it. I heard it this morning.

I like that song too. It's so good it gives me the chills. But it just goes to show non-traditional sounding songs have always been a part of the mix at country radio. Although some eras (early 1980s, today) have leaned more non-traditional than others,

vchimpanzee said:
I couldn't care less about "good" lyrics and the country lifestyle. If it doesn't sound country, I don't want to hear it.

But "Boots On" sounds more country than anything. It would sound totally out of place on a rock station.

Jay F said:
vchimpanzee said:

But "Boots On" sounds more country than anything. It would sound totally out of place on a rock station.
Whatever. It belongs on what passes for country these days, but you won't catch me actually listening to one of those stations. I'll turn it on to see if I hear anything good, but most of the time I won't.

vchimpanzee said:
Jay F said:
vchimpanzee said:

Whatever. It belongs on what passes for country these days, but you won't catch me actually listening to one of those stations. I'll turn it on to see if I hear anything good, but most of the time I won't.

Try to look at the big picture. As individuals we all have our personal likes, dislikes, and preferences. You as an individual obviously do not like most of the current music played on country radio. That's fine. That doesn't mean country radio should change. I wouldn't quite say this is a boom period for the format, but it's not doing bad either. The current formula is working.

Jay F said:
vchimpanzee said:
Jay F said:
vchimpanzee said:

Try to look at the big picture. As individuals we all have our personal likes, dislikes, and preferences. You as an individual obviously do not like most of the current music played on country radio. That's fine. That doesn't mean country radio should change. I wouldn't quite say this is a boom period for the format, but it's not doing bad either. The current formula is working.
Only for people who can stand it. No station that plays "She's Country" will have me as a listener other than for the few minutes I happen to be hearring a good song, or while I am trying to identify a bad song. For now, I have a country station.

Getting back on topic, I heard one song with a young female vocalist but never figured out a possible title. It was as AC as anything I ever heard on country radio. Not loud, but just so pop-sounding with that beat I hear so much in the grocery store. It's not that bad a song when you think about how pop the songs in the late 70s and early 80s were, but pop music today just sounds bad.

Getting back on topic, I heard one song with a young female vocalist but never figured out a possible title. It was as AC as anything I ever heard on country radio. Not loud, but just so pop-sounding with that beat I hear so much in the grocery store. It's not that bad a song when you think about how pop the songs in the late 70s and early 80s were, but pop music today just sounds bad.
[/quote]

You probably heard "You Belong With Me" by Taylor Swift. Now I got a question for you. If you can't stand the new country music, then why do you bother even listening to it? Find a classic country station and tune into that if you really hate todays country.

Jay F said:
vchimpanzee said:

I like that song too. It's so good it gives me the chills. But it just goes to show non-traditional sounding songs have always been a part of the mix at country radio. Although some eras (early 1980s, today) have leaned more non-traditional than others,
Another song in this same category: "Welcome to My World" by Jim Reeves. The Ray Price song I heard on a pop station, but it was my classic country station that played this one. Nothing country about it, but it's magnificent, with the classy orchestra.

Mac Daddy said:

You probably heard "You Belong With Me" by Taylor Swift. Now I got a question for you. If you can't stand the new country music, then why do you bother even listening to it? Find a classic country station and tune into that if you really hate todays country.
[/quote]In some cases the music is forced on me because it's used as background music in businesses.

But I am analyzing the music to see just what's wrong with it and what's not wrong with some of the songs so, if the day ever comes when I'm stuck listening to a classic country station that also plays today's music, I'll know what the good songs are and why. I was in the mountains a few weeks ago and the station was playing "Good Time" by Alan Jackson, but that's one of the good ones.

One of the bad songs, which has country instrumentals at least, has the word "Strange" over and over.

There's a classic-leaning station I gave up on. I just can't stand it. One of the bad songs there has the words "Good Man". I think that's right.

One of the good songs I've heard is "15 Minutes" by Rodney Atkins.

"Strange" is by Reba. I like it myself, it has a good hook. Since you listen to classic country I'm surprised you didn't recognize her voice.

My favorite country songs EVER!

#1: Kenny Chesney-She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy (best song in all of country music!! I wished it got to the top 5, it only got to #11)
#2: Brooks & Dunn-Neon Moon (REAL country!)
#3: Rascal Flatts-Mayberry
#4: Carrie Underwood-All American Girl (Don't know why I love this song, I'm a man, just a good song, that's all. Also made it to #1!)
#5: Kenny Chesney-She's Got it All
#6: Garth Brooks-The Dance (I'm just about to cry just writing this :'( Beautiful song. Just brings tears.)
#7: Martina McBride-Independence Day
#8: Toby Keith-Who's That Man
#9: Toby Keith-Should've been a Cowboy
#10: Toby Keith-How Do You Like Me Now!?
#11: Garth Brooks-Two Pina Coladas (Fun song!)
#12: Eddie Rabbitt-I Love a Rainy Night (just a HIT!)
#13: Alabama-I'm in a Hurry (And Don't Know Why)
#14: Rodney Atkins-15 Minutes (FUN song!)

Insturmental songs
#1: Brad Paisley-Playing with Fire
#2: Brad Piasley-Turf's Up

Worst songs
I really don't like She's country by Jason Aldean. HORRID ROCK!!!!
I'm not really a fan of Eric Church's "Love your Love the Most". Talks about NASCAR, College football games, not acting like my age, etc. Not even about love, except for brief parts of the song.

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom