• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Worst songs on country radio

Likely "Something Bad" by Miranda Lambert/Carrie Underwood. That song is almost strictly rock. No steel guitars or fiddles at all. I'd rather hear Johnny Cash or Hank Jr.

Raccoonradio - the only country stations nowadays pleasing to "parents" are those classic country stations. A lot of those stations have added 90s and a sprinkling of 00s. Unfortunately it seems like the place where "All My Ex'es Live in Texas" and "Mountain Music" go to die.

-crainbebo

I was in a convenience store yesterday and heard "Last Name". Now parts of that song might be good. But I can't stand that loud rock introduction. And I heard something I hadn't heard before."Oh no, what have I done?" is cute the first time or maybe even the second or third, but repeated over and over?

"Last Name" is another one of those "trying to be Modern Rock" singles. Same with "Something Bad". Leave the rock alone and keep the steel guitars + fiddles...PLEASE!

-crainbebo

Likely "Something Bad" by Miranda Lambert/Carrie Underwood. That song is almost strictly rock. No steel guitars or fiddles at all. I'd rather hear Johnny Cash or Hank Jr.

You won't hear fiddles or steel on Cash either. He hated both.

^^^ To me, that song most definitely does not sound country.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

The words "Something bad" are repeated over and over in a song that is definitely something bad.

It can be salvaged. It's just the way it is played now, it's just plain rock.

I'm really starting to dislike country music now. Not only the "rap" music and the "rock" music, but how almost EVERY singer has to talk about a pretty girl, at a river, with a bunch of friends, in a truck with the seat back down. There's other things to write about in country music, not just the same thing, different singer.

-crainbebo

The words "Something bad" are repeated over and over in a song that is definitely something bad.

It can be salvaged. It's just the way it is played now, it's just plain rock.

And if I had just read what was above first ...

I have also heard a terrible song about Friday night and one about "day drinking".

I have also heard a terrible song about Friday night and one about "day drinking".

There's a difference between a "terrible song" and one you don't happen to like.

The concept of eating raw fish to me is repugnant, but lots of folks seem to enjoy sushi.

It used to be cheatin', trucks, trains and drinkin'
I'm really starting to dislike country music now. Not only the "rap" music and the "rock" music, but how almost EVERY singer has to talk about a pretty girl, at a river, with a bunch of friends, in a truck with the seat back down. There's other things to write about in country music, not just the same thing, different singer.

-crainbebo

There's a difference between a "terrible song" and one you don't happen to like.

The concept of eating raw fish to me is repugnant, but lots of folks seem to enjoy sushi.
Just read it as a terrible song in my opinion.

There was another one about tailgating.

I consider myself to be pretty open minded when it comes to music, and quite a bit of today's pop music should go into the category of "good" music. That doesn't mean that I like it, but its still showcases a great deal of talent. When it comes to country music, I seem to have difficulty in finding the redeemable qualities. Take Jason Aldean for example; his tone kind of reminds me of Kermit The Frog, with a southern accent, playing a few notes on guitar. It is popular, and it does have a mass appeal, but I think the matter of quality is debatable.

On the other hand, I may not like Taylor Swift, but she does have talent. She can connect instantaneously with her audience, and continue to retain her musical touch across multiple albums, which I give her points for. Her talent sets her apart from "bro country" performers.

I think the 80's and 90's were a great time for country music. Yes, the market appeal was poor, but the songs maintained a medium between modern music and the traditional country music sound. It was a time where older AND younger people could enjoy the same music, as it was right on par with what country was supposed to be, without falling out of relevancy. There were a few songs that were pretty horrid, but I can't think of any performer from that era who was bad in general.

Alright fine, I will give you Billy Ray Cyrus...

Last edited:
On the other hand, I may not like Taylor Swift, but she does have talent. She can connect instantaneously with her audience, and continue to retain her musical touch across multiple albums, which I give her points for. Her talent sets her apart from "bro country" performers.
I'm not sure what makes her talented. Her ability to connect with her audience, maybe. But I once heard her sing sithout the help of technology on an awards show. Stevie Nicks was great, though in general I don't like her style of music ("Dreams" being an exception), and Taylor couldn't hit the notes. Maybe she's improved that.

I'm not sure what makes her talented. Her ability to connect with her audience, maybe. But I once heard her sing sithout the help of technology on an awards show. Stevie Nicks was great, though in general I don't like her style of music ("Dreams" being an exception), and Taylor couldn't hit the notes. Maybe she's improved that.

Regarding Taylor, I may not be a fan, but she has definitely proved herself to be an engaging performer that can stand alone. If the demand for country music were to vanish, she could easily stand on her own two feet and stick to the mainstream pop market. I think the genre of country music needs Taylor more than she needs country; she's the only one that I can pick out of the genre who can retain her relevancy x years from now.

Stevie Nicks was great, though in general I don't like her style of music ("Dreams" being an exception), and Taylor couldn't hit the notes. Maybe she's improved that.

She's done hundreds of TV shows and probably thousands of concerts, and this is the only one people bring up. I don't think it's fair to judge one's singing ability based on one performance of someone else's song. It was a bad idea for her to sing with Stevie, and she's admitted it.

What makes her talented is her writing. She's a songwriter first. That's how she first got signed. When she sings her own songs, she connects. But she should never sing someone else's songs.

She's done hundreds of TV shows and probably thousands of concerts, and this is the only one people bring up. I don't think it's fair to judge one's singing ability based on one performance of someone else's song. It was a bad idea for her to sing with Stevie, and she's admitted it.

What makes her talented is her writing. She's a songwriter first. That's how she first got signed. When she sings her own songs, she connects. But she should never sing someone else's songs.
It wasn't that one performance. It was that she couldn't hit the notes. She could very well be a talented songwriter, but she just doesn't write the songs that make me happy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom