• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I went to the dentist

I can remember when dentists' offices had actual dentists' office music. When there wasn't such a station on FM, the dentist I was going to refused to play the new music. That's the way I liked it. Other dentists before that had a station to play. Though one dentist had a young hygienist who thought it was all right to play top 40, and I pointed out to her that the music was supposed to be relaxing because it was already unpleasant going through the experience. She seemed to think the top 40 music would be better for making me more relaxed. She was going by my age, but I liked dentists' office music as a teenager.

Another dentist was just out of school and starting what may have been his first practice. He had album rock playing. Unbelievable! And he wondered why he had trouble getting me to relax so he could do what he had to do. Well, when he was having trouble with me, I informed him as to why. The music went off. He didn't understand why I thought as a dentist he should be playing dentist's office music. An older woman from my church was the next one who had an appointment. I'll bet she would have appreciated what I did.

I didn't go back to the dentist for seven years. Part of the reason was that I moved several times and didn't want to figure out who to go to. And when I asked my mother about her dentist, she said he was "a rough one". Well, that meant no. I did go to make an appointment and found the door locked. It was just lunchtime, though. Later, I decided I had been passing this one dentist's office while walking, so I should try him. There was a ceramic business in the basement (something related to teeth), and for some reason I thought that menat he was a good dentist. Who you share the building with doesn't mean anything.

I made a good choice, as it turned out. But early on, they had trouble with me because they were playing soft rock. I told them what they needed to do.

In the future, they always made sure classical music was playing when I was in the chair. The last several times I've gone to this office, they've had country playing when I first arrived. Country can be good, but in recent years it has been mostly a poor choice for relaxing music. I've noticed, in fact, that country has replaced soft rock in offices as soft rock got louder, though so has country. Other places have oldies.

Well, this past week I heard "Kerosene" by Miranda Lambert. Clearly one of the bad songs. I didn't say anything until I was called back. But I said they HAD to do something about the music. The hygienist didn't even know what was playing. Fortunately, for some reason there was no speaker, or it wasn't on, in the room where I was.

Here's my feeling on the subject. You're not helping the person in the chair. You're just making the experience even more unpleasant. Same with soft rock in businesses, although the grocery stores aren't as bad as the radio stations.

Most of them I've been to, have been the local soft rock "at work" station , but yeah I don't think anyone could soothe to some of the new songs.

Last one I went to , suggested I bring the I Pod along with what soothes me, as many people like different things to soothe the savage beast.

Another thing I've been noticing is a lot of companies now using Sirius/XM with the deal on business use of their stations and no music licensing fees... beats musak

I went back, and some station was playing in the waiting room, but when I went back in the back I didn't hear anything. Just fine with me.

When I paid my bill I heard the words "when coke was a Coke". I like that song.

My dentist always had on the smooth jazz station, but a month ago they flipped it from smooth jazz to top 40, so now when I go back in a few weeks, my bet is he will have on the soft AC station, well christmas station for right now (ugh!).

Oh and that one song that has the lyrics "When a coke was a coke", that is "Back When" by Tim McGraw.

My dentist had the same Soft AC on for close to 20 years. Then six months ago he switched to Sirius/XM AC. I was just there the other day and it felt strange to hear a regular AC not playing Christmas music this time of year.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom