• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I'd like to find a Triple-A station WITHOUT the folk-pop aspect

T

TripleAGeek

People tend to criticize this aspect of Triple-A stations a lot. I'd really like to find a Triple-A station WITHOUT the likes of Coldplay (esp. later era), Jason Mraz, John Mayer, Jack Johnson, later era Sheryl Crow, etc. I'd instead like one that focuses on the more "alternative" aspects of adult album alternative. For instance, U2, The Police, The Pretenders, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, Bob Marley, Peter Gabriel, Joe Jackson, and R.E.M. would all be mainstays of the station for late '70s/'80s music, while the '90s aspects would focus on stuff like Pearl Jam, Oasis, Radiohead, and maybe a couple of Beck's songs. The Shins, The Decemberists, Bright Eyes, Death Cab for Cutie, Rilo Kiley, Spoon, etc. would be more heavily focused on than the first three artists I mentioned in this topic, who wouldn't even be played. I guess basically it'd be like Indie 103 without all of the hardcore punk, techno, harder grunge, edgier post-punk, and whatever you'd call Sonic Youth and Husker Du (don't get me wrong, I like both of those bands, but they wouldn't fit the typical AAA format to me). Anyone know of such a station? If so please lemme know and I'll check it out! Thanx

I forgot to mention that I still want it to be authentic to the roots of AAA. Therefore, certain artists RXP plays (like Aerosmith, AC/DC, Guns 'N' Roses, and artists like that) would NOT be applicable. This is more like what KLOS would be like as a Triple-A station, NOT what Indie 103 would be like as a Triple-A station.

TripleAGeek said:
People tend to criticize this aspect of Triple-A stations a lot. I'd really like to find a Triple-A station WITHOUT the likes of Coldplay (esp. later era), Jason Mraz, John Mayer, Jack Johnson, later era Sheryl Crow, etc.

What people are those?

KINK, KBCO, and KFOG all do quite a bit of research, and thay all play the arists you've cited. So other people like those acts. Enough to overcome the negatives...

You might try WTMD Baltimore...

I think what the OP would like would be a more adult leaning alternative rock station, ala Portland's 94/7, 94.9 San Diego, 96.5 The Buzz in Kansas City, or Indie 101.5 in Denver. On the noncommercial side, The Current in Minneapolis is worth a listen. They do play some Coldplay, but not so much of the other commercial acts and throw in classic alternative and indie rock.

I might suggest WBOS "Radio 92-9" Boston as well. They shifted away from their traditional AAA format last year and became kind of a 90's based alternative station. (or what I might call a younger focused form of AAA). They don't play the folk, singer songwriter stuff you are talking about, but they also don't play some of the older 70s and 80s artists that you want either though. But if you are looking for a station that kind of walks the line between Alternative and AAA, then this might be an option. Also, they seem to be doing something right, as their ratings exploded in the first PPM book in Boston. (On a side note, Boston has to be the most rock based major market I've ever seen. So scoring a great book in this very overcrowded market shows promise for 'BOS's format).

Look I noticed that Sting seems to bounce from New Age, NAC, Soft AC, Smooth Jazz, AAA, and Classic Rock. He is in the Folk-pop aspect too unfortunately even though I am a fan of the Police and Sting.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom