• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

is mmr's signal deterior-ating

O

oasisrulz

I am noticing the signal not as strong as it used to be, I think it is the new Comcast structure blocking and redirecting the signal in some parts....In the Cherry Hill and Moorestown malls where MMR is at its best it seems my other rock choices YSP and RFF are much stronger and MMR is weaker. The solution is GM should buy 103.9 from R1 shut it down, move 93.3 to the tower and antenna with other GM properties BEN/MGK and be at 9kw at 1300 feet, a bit above Jerry Lee's flamethrower. If there are any 107.9 listeners is that signal any different...

Why buy a major market FM just to shut it down? Couldn't they just put 'MMR on the 'PPZ tower if that were to happen? Or can they put 'MMR on top of the Comcast building with the appropriate power reduction?
MMR has the strongest signal in Center City. I cannot even hear WRNB where I am, it is drowned out by WEBE 108 and some pirate station.

I don't know the technical aspects of radio, but are his suggestions realistic? It seems to me that he just wants a black radio station off the air, since the 2 stations he mentioned are marketed to Philly's black population.

the signal is definitely blocked. I used to get MMR all over Harford county,MD and some places in Baltimore county. Now it's no more Preston and Steve in the AM. not to mention no more Y100 :-\

I just realized that 103.9 and 93.3 are 10.6 mHz apart. So they could not coexist at Roxborough due to IF spacing requirements. 103.9 cannot move an inch closer to Atlantic City, Allentown, or Havre de Grace due to short spacing. It's pretty obvious that most Y100 fans are bitter about a hip hop station taking its place, just like GRock fans are bitter about a CHR station taking its place. And I am bitter about the 107.9 in Philly because it interferes with my former high school station WWPH 107.9. It just so happens that 100.3, 103.9, and 107.9 are all owned by Radio One, which targets black listeners. I would probably be bitter about 107.9 if it were a dance station.
I don't listen to any of the Radio One stations because I don't receive any of them where I now live.

Fakeem said:
I don't know the technical aspects of radio, but are his suggestions realistic? It seems to me that he just wants a black radio station off the air, since the 2 stations he mentioned are marketed to Philly's black population.

Why is it with you people everything has a racist twist, I only mentioned 103.9, because with them on the air 93.3 cannot move to Roxborough, it has nothing to do with any form of race, who cares what the format is, its the technical end that matters. I also mentioned 107.9 simply because they are on Liberty with MMR and I wanted to know how their signal was, it is just a coincidence that both stations are black oriented, get your facts straight before you go accusing anyone, look at yourself.

Y100 had good ratings. Radio One had its agenda and didn't care about ratings or the fact that there were 6 other stations in the market of the same format. I couldn't care less if it got flipped for Urban,Neo Nazi Radio or the Mormon Tabernacle Choir it was Y100 then something else. Same with DC's 99.1 WHFS which is now Spanish....doesn't matter what it is just what it ISN'T. As for Havre de Grace's 103.7 please by all means walk all over that signal with kleats....hows that for racist? I want a white station to SHUT the F UP.

Nick said:
Or can they put 'MMR on top of the Comcast building with the appropriate power reduction?

screw the power reduction, move the stick and keep the power the same! that'll take care of a few of the daed spots on rt 61 ;)

Fakeem said:

Bizarre take.

evolve991 said:
Y100 had good ratings. Radio One had its agenda and didn't care about ratings or the fact that there were 6 other stations in the market of the same format. .

Y100 had terrible ratings. They were making money when they flipped though.

Fakeem said:

Isn't this a little ridiculous? Come on. Praise is gonna collapse on its own even with out a buy-out shut-down.

evolve991 said:
the signal is definitely blocked. I used to get MMR all over Harford county,MD and some places in Baltimore county. Now it's no more Preston and Steve in the AM. not to mention no more Y100 :-\

You're probably experiencing interference from the upper digital carriers of 93.1 WPOC. I'm sure this is an ongoing problem in Maryland, but some listeners within the Philadelphia metro may also hear degradation as atmospheric conditions change. (By the way, the southwestern corner of this market is actually closer to Baltimore than Philadelphia.)

A check of WPOC's FCC application list shows that the station recently applied for Special Temporary Authority (STA) to do something to their FM digital signal (FD) and it's apparently a deep, dark secret:

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_list.pl?Facility_id=47747

My guess: WPOC has boosted digital power to evaluate the proposed 10 dB increase. Why don't you call the station and ask about this -- or better yet, send a letter (for inclusion in the public file) along with a copy to the FCC?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom