• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Wonders Never Cease!

OK.......
Well, NOW I am tuned in to Atlanta's 95.5 The beat, where I wasn't expecting much of anything exciting, then next thing I know I start getting beat up.

THEY WERE HITTING ME WITH NOTHING BUT ELECTRO-BREAKS FOR THE PAST 40 MINUTES - LIVE FROM THE CLUB!

I mean, I guess it's easy to fill up an entire 40 minutes if you cheat by playing the extended 6 or 7 minutes of each song, but still... if they did it live from the club, then someone out on the dance floor must be accepting it!
Now, I look back at each and every one of these stations I've talked about these past few weeks, only looking back to about two years or so and most of these same stations wouldn't dare do what they are doing now!

It may seem like the trends are now obvious, everyone knows what's going on, therefore there is no longer any reason to be excited. Well, that may be, but when ATLANTA is doing something after the huge dance music drought they had for the longest time, and again after they got brand new stations that played it then stopped, THIS is exciting. Imagine the amount of people hearing it and actually being forced to accept it as music and discovering it! MAN! Atlanta's New #1 For Hip Hop is beginning to impress me! ...And I like how they are Atlanta's Number 1 For Hip Hop is playing everything 101.5 JamZ here in Phoenix is playing, in addition to P!NK, while our Power 98.3 wont touch half of those rhythmic hit songs, but wants to claim to be The Valley's #1 Hit Music Station! VERY awkward! But anyway. I wonder what Atlanta's Q100 is doing? Let me check... Oh, ok, I see, some house. Well, Atlanta is definitely doing better than or at least equal to Phoenix when it comes to dance on the radio for the first time ever! I have no idea why both stations seem to be playing some of the dance hits with a screwed and chopped style, but... at least they are playing it... on the radio for people to embrace!

OOOOHHH!!!
Star*94 just started! OHH!!! and THIS is the EXACT same station I used to beg to play at least some form of decent dance when I lived there in Atlanta - BACK WHEN DANCE WAS ACTUALLY BIG! I had no idea they held on to their Saturday night club remix show that I heard them start almost 2 years ago! Yes - Arizona is pretty much getting beat by Atlanta now when it comes to the willingness to play dance on the radio. Maybe we got the "day 'n' night", but they have longer periods of uptempo hits in their mixshows.

Hmm... well I guess I wished for dance on that station and for new stations in Atlanta playing dance, and I finally got my wish..... even though I moved about 12 years ago. I can't say my wishes didn't come true...

KDM 7000 said:
OK.......
Well, NOW I am tuned in to Atlanta's 95.5 The beat, where I wasn't expecting much of anything exciting, then next thing I know I start getting beat up.

THEY WERE HITTING ME WITH NOTHING BUT ELECTRO-BREAKS FOR THE PAST 40 MINUTES - LIVE FROM THE CLUB!

I mean, I guess it's easy to fill up an entire 40 minutes if you cheat by playing the extended 6 or 7 minutes of each song, but still... if they did it live from the club, then someone out on the dance floor must be accepting it!
Now, I look back at each and every one of these stations I've talked about these past few weeks, only looking back to about two years or so and most of these same stations wouldn't dare do what they are doing now!

It may seem like the trends are now obvious, everyone knows what's going on, therefore there is no longer any reason to be excited. Well, that may be, but when ATLANTA is doing something after the huge dance music drought they had for the longest time, and again after they got brand new stations that played it then stopped, THIS is exciting. Imagine the amount of people hearing it and actually being forced to accept it as music and discovering it! MAN! Atlanta's New #1 For Hip Hop is beginning to impress me! ...And I like how they are Atlanta's Number 1 For Hip Hop is playing everything 101.5 JamZ here in Phoenix is playing, in addition to P!NK, while our Power 98.3 wont touch half of those rhythmic hit songs, but wants to claim to be The Valley's #1 Hit Music Station! VERY awkward! But anyway. I wonder what Atlanta's Q100 is doing? Let me check... Oh, ok, I see, some house. Well, Atlanta is definitely doing better than or at least equal to Phoenix when it comes to dance on the radio for the first time ever! I have no idea why both stations seem to be playing some of the dance hits with a screwed and chopped style, but... at least they are playing it... on the radio for people to embrace!

OOOOHHH!!!
Star*94 just started! OHH!!! and THIS is the EXACT same station I used to beg to play at least some form of decent dance when I lived there in Atlanta - BACK WHEN DANCE WAS ACTUALLY BIG! I had no idea they held on to their Saturday night club remix show that I heard them start almost 2 years ago! Yes - Arizona is pretty much getting beat by Atlanta now when it comes to the willingness to play dance on the radio. Maybe we got the "day 'n' night", but they have longer periods of uptempo hits in their mixshows.

Hmm... well I guess I wished for dance on that station and for new stations in Atlanta playing dance, and I finally got my wish..... even though I moved about 12 years ago. I can't say my wishes didn't come true...

I guess I'm just not excited about this?

Broadcasting from a club is nothing new, and stations have been doing it off and on for years now. It's pretty sad when you can hear more (or better) dance songs on John Garabedian's "Open House Party" than you can when a station broadcasts from a club. I guess I just don't understand why a DJ at a club would choose to play a regular radio version of a song over a remixed version.

When I start hearing some (or a) dance current(s) during regular rotation at a CHR or Rhythmic station, then I'll get excited. Until then, these radio broadcasts from clubs just seem like fillers to me (compared to years ago). i.e. - Almost all of my friends (many who do not listen to dance music) recognize Benny Benassi's "Satisfaction". That song was played and played (at both clubs and on the radio during club broadcasts), but did it ever get regular rotation airplay?

I'm hoping this round of "Club Broadcasts" can change that, but I'm not holding my breath...

I guess it's just the region I'm in because I hear many other states doing dance IN A CLUB, WHILE also live on the radio, and nobody is getting beheaded or serving the death penalty for it... But come here and try to play more dance (especially the entire extended edit of the song) in a club than hip hop, or just a long set of dance alone, and watch everyone sit down as if sitting down were going out of style.

Then we have a place (Atlanta) where there were NO stations playing dance for the longest time, and I went to school where almost nobody had any clue about dance music and what it was, NOW doing it live from the club. It wasn't as exciting as when those new stations popped up in Atlanta and a whole bunch of new listeners in 2001 thought some new type of sound was just invented, but it was exciting to see a certain station start back playing uptempo hits that were not booty bass.

As of now, I'm no longer going to be too excited when it comes to other regions because it's no longer much of a big surprise, but I will always be excited about Atlanta doing it..... and there's a long story behind it which I wont get into. If Atlanta gets a dance station, then that would be the height of the unimaginable happening. Really when I think about it, I shouldn't keep my old views and thoughts on a place I once lived because I'm sure things have changed a lot there, but it's hard to ever get over knowing I lived with a bunch of people who all missed out on a lot of stuff because there was nothing there to feed it to them, and therefore, they'll probably live their entire lives never knowing that there is more to it than just hip hop and booty music. I should let those times go. There's no reason really to be more excited for another town than the one I'm living in now... but just the return of dance music itself and knowing people are hearing it and will have to accept it as music because everyone else is beginning to say it's the next big thing, that in itself is exciting.

I will say this - Atlanta has a big club scene, and the third largest gay population in the country. A station like 100.5 FM could work for Dance, or a Z-103.5 Toronto type of station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom