• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

wqam/wkis/wpow moving

1059LUVR

last weekend i was listening to the beast brian london on 560 and he mentioned they were moving this summer does anyone know where they are moving to? are they moving in with 940 after the flip and cc sells it?

Uneducated guess, but WKIS is housed in the former Love 94 building behind comcast off 441 (NW 2nd ave) and about 186th street. It's large enough to be home to all 3 Beasley stations. With layoffs and downsizing I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if that was where WPOW & WQAM were headed.

Arent they already located in that building,with kiss country?

I think Stuart is onto something.....I hear downsizing will continue especially at WQAM, including a prime host or two.

Here's what I heard...Beasley is leasing space in the QAM/Power building and they own the WKIS building. Even Sport9 who is a QAM hater must understand the financials if this move does happen. And if the KISS building has enough room for 3 stations (like CC has for their 9 stations yikes), then it's even more of a no brainer in this economy. As for prime hosts being ousted at QAM, there is rumor that DA who does nights will be leaving but I wouldn't call him a prime host. Thankfully they are cutting out most of The Beast's on-air work, he's high school talent at best.

1059LUVR said:
Arent they already located in that building,with kiss country?

No they're not. WPOW and WQAM are at NW 2nd ave. (441) and 202nd Street. WKIS is at 187th St. between NW 1st and 2nd. Beasley bought the building from Clear Channel when they moved Love94 to their new radio slab in Miramar . The now WKIS building was built by the Gilmour family (of the racing world) for Love94 I believe in the late 70s' early 80's. Loves former digs on South Beach was a horror by accounts of former staffers way back when. The place was an infested rat trap and the building was the size of a shoe box.

The former Love 94 building on N.W. 187th actually housed most of the Paxson stations
at one time, including WLVE, WIOD, and WZTA although space was a bit tight as I recall
from my visits. So they can probably cram WPOW and WQAM into the building. It won't be
real comfortable, but these are not comfortable times.

I bet it beats the space in Jeff & Dan's old pasture in Cooper City...

That place was CRAMPED!

Years ao (1977) when WBUS changed to WWWL Love 94, I recall they used to braodcast from the Deauville Hotel in Miami Beach. Is that correct?

WDAE-FM101 said:
Years ao (1977) when WBUS changed to WWWL Love 94, I recall they used to braodcast from the Deauville Hotel in Miami Beach. Is that correct?

Correct! That was home before they moved to the rat infested shoe box on South Beach.

WDAE-FM101 said:
The "Long and Winding Road"! ::)

I just said where they could possibly be moving... I didn't say i'd be signing them off the air! ;D

You are confusing them with WAEZ.
Owned by Arthur E. Zucker, they were on 94.9.
Located in the Deauville at 6701 Collins Ave, WAEZ paid their rent by naming that hotel with each on-the-hour legal ID.
They later became WOCN-FM, WINZ-FM, WZTA.
Early Broadcasting Magazine yearbooks list the license with the call letters WQAM-FM.

Down on Commerce street and down on 93.9, WMBM-FM became WGOS, WBUS, WWWL.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom