• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes at 790 The Ticket

SportsDotCom said:
otherradioboy said:
I understand that 940 is picking up Fox Sports and dumping "progressive" talk and Ari America. That will definitely put the infla nail in 790's coffin.

I'm hearing the same thing from people I know in the business, 940 gets Fox Sports and 640 gets, well, who the hells knows? Keep in mind these are the same people who put the WIOD-FM rumor in my head so season well before ingesting.

Was 940 24/7 FSR previously or did they actually have local shows and/or local sports play-by-play? Truth be told I didn't even know 940 Fox Sports had happened until long after it was gone. I actually have a clearer recollection of WAFN 1700 than I do of 940 Fox Sports.

strangelove said:
SportsDotCom said:
otherradioboy said:
I understand that 940 is picking up Fox Sports and dumping "progressive" talk and Ari America. That will definitely put the infla nail in 790's coffin.

I'm hearing the same thing from people I know in the business, 940 gets Fox Sports and 640 gets, well, who the hells knows? Keep in mind these are the same people who put the WIOD-FM rumor in my head so season well before ingesting.

Was 940 24/7 FSR previously or did they actually have local shows and/or local sports play-by-play? Truth be told I didn't even know 940 Fox Sports had happened until long after it was gone. I actually have a clearer recollection of WAFN 1700 than I do of 940 Fox Sports.

I remember Carl Foster brokering Mornings for a while there and then they went with Dan Sileo (egads!) after CC mandated that they carry his Orlando based show. I also, remember a young Jorge Sedano getting his first solo gig back in 2002 (he first popped up as a co-host on 1700 in 2000) until they flipped to Air America in 04 and he went on to become HEAT pre & post host and overnight host on Fox Sports Radio Network. Other than that it was Tony Bruno, Jim Rome, JT The Brick and the rest of the FSR lineup.

I've heard the same rumors and I've also heard it's a done deal & will start in the spring. At least, the Heat will be happy to be on a sports station even it it'll be all syndicated. As a few have said here recently, including myself. It'll be a non-factor b/c let's face it... CC is not going to do anything, but put up a few billboards that they already own. And, this town can barely support two sports stations.

Time to start a new thread. Thanks Air America. It was nice knowing you. Maybe, JCR will pick up the Air America format?

New thread boys!

I saw where Sid Rosenberg is doing reports from the Super Bowl for Imus this week. He is determined to get out of Miami and back to NYC. But getting beat by Joe Rose in the latest ratings isn't going to help him.

SportsDotCom said:
strangelove said:
SportsDotCom said:
otherradioboy said:

I remember Carl Foster brokering Mornings for a while there and then they went with Dan Sileo (egads!) after CC mandated that they carry his Orlando based show. I also, remember a young Jorge Sedano getting his first solo gig back in 2002 (he first popped up as a co-host on 1700 in 2000) until they flipped to Air America in 04 and he went on to become HEAT pre & post host and overnight host on Fox Sports Radio Network. Other than that it was Tony Bruno, Jim Rome, JT The Brick and the rest of the FSR lineup.

Carl Foster! The one thing I will always remember from that lousy 1700 the FAN station was Foster calling into one of his hosts shows, Dino Costa or someone, and basically yelling at him on air for making fun of his co-host Anita Marks. Great radio. For about 10-15 minutes.

Sorry, back to 790 talk.

At any rate if they're really switching to Fox Sports that will bring us up to a total of 5 STATIONS all fighting for the same nickle. It's a monumentally stupid move and I don't know what kind of numbers they get there now but they couldn't possibly do better with another sports station.

TalkRadioX said:
SportsDotCom said:
strangelove said:
SportsDotCom said:
otherradioboy said:

Carl Foster! The one thing I will always remember from that lousy 1700 the FAN station was Foster calling into one of his hosts shows, Dino Costa or someone, and basically yelling at him on air for making fun of his co-host Anita Marks. Great radio. For about 10-15 minutes.

Sorry, back to 790 talk.

Foster LMA'ed 1400 The Fan WFLL. Not 1700 The Fan WAFN. That was a Tony Calatayud production

Wait - so let me get this right. CC is dumping Air America, on a station that's 100% syndicated, automated programming to put on FSR which will also be 100% syndicated (except for the Heat) and become the 5th sports station in town...and this will be the 2nd (or is it the 3rd?) time that they had Fox sports on the signal. ??? (It failed the other time, too.)

Am I right? :-\

Oh - wait, we're talking Clear Channel. Yes, I'm right. ;D

otherradioboy said:
Wait - so let me get this right. CC is dumping Air America, on a station that's 100% syndicated, automated programming to put on FSR which will also be 100% syndicated (except for the Heat) and become the 5th sports station in town...and this will be the 2nd (or is it the 3rd?) time that they had Fox sports on the signal. ??? (It failed the other time, too.)

Am I right? :-\

Oh - wait, we're talking Clear Channel. Yes, I'm right. ;D

On top of that, unlike every piece of content that's on WINZ right now, Fox Sports is all in-house content. By adding Fox Sports, they will be aiding the national advertising revenue of the company they're a part of instead of the Jones Radio/Air America/ABC Radio Networks/Nova M content they currently carry. I like Fox Sports, but there's something to be said about when option A is abandoned for option B, because it was unable to produce results, but now that internal cost-cutting and belt tightening by management has taken effect, option B must make way for the inferior option A once again, because option B has all of a sudden become cost-ineffective.

I began this thread by pointing out that Kevin Rogers had exited the Ticket. Oddly enough, I heard him this weekend on WQAM (and he sounded good!). The radio world really is a small one.

Why is it ODD? KR AFTER HIS RELEASE REALIZED HE SHOULD JOIN THE BEST SPORTS RADIO STATION!

A LF employee told me this week that Zaslow is temporary from 10-Noon. According to him, the long term options are Colin Cowerd or a return by Boog Shambi.
Has anyone else heard this?

DJ Oldschool said:
A LF employee told me this week that Zaslow is temporary from 10-Noon. According to him, the long term options are Colin Cowerd or a return by Boog Shambi.

Hmmm? Jorge Sedano just put on his Twiter(Seriously Can't believe I just typed that) "Big Events being planned for 790 in the coming months. That's all I can say b/c if not I'd have to kill you"

LEAK EXPOSED!!!

E.L said:
DJ Oldschool said:

Hmmm? Jorge Sedano just put on his Twiter(Seriously Can't believe I just typed that) "Big Events being planned for 790 in the coming months. That's all I can say b/c if not I'd have to kill you"

LEAK EXPOSED!!!

Sedano mentioned today on his show that the event he eluded to was a anniversary party of sorts. Nothing to do with programming.

790 needs to forget an anniversary party and deal with the reception problem it has cause on my radio its a very poor reception

1059LUVR said:
790 needs to forget an anniversary party and deal with the reception problem it has cause on my radio its a very poor reception

Really? I would say that about WIOD & WQAM over the past few years (Radio Fidel in the background). I have never had an issue listening to WAXY and I drive around for a living. Unless, I'm the one who's mistaken? :-\

1059LUVR said:

They're already operating at 25kw day and night under an STA (5x licensed power) due to interference from Cuba and up here in central Broward the reception is great, especially when you consider that the TX is so far southwest. I could even say the same for WIOD however on 'QAM it's pretty noticeable day or night. Now admittedly I'll get a burst of Radio Reloj on 790 at night if I'm on the wrong side of a building or I'll hear it if i listen very, very closely but it's hardly a constant problem. Maybe it's where you live?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom