• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The .wav

AnotherCat said:
Shahin and Sepehr 1001 nights brilliant choice!!

Thanks Cat! Would like to take credit for that one, but that selection was suggested by one of my long time listeners who has a great ear for this music. Like I said, what makes the station so special for me is regular input from educated listeners who really know this genre, particularly when it comes to contemporary instrumentals, old and new. I really try to minimize overplayed cuts and seek out underplayed ones, and that Shahin and Sepehr tune is a nice example of that strategy.

"Wow, that's brilliant!! And I assume this could be accomplished without a mobile data plan? That's what I call creative and cost-effective listening, brother!"

That's basically what I do, too, only in my case it involves VLC and either a car CD player or an ancient Dell PDA.

By the way, your stream gets quite a good amount of recording on my equipment, and as a result helps me to keep my sanity whilst doing my long bi-weekly courier runs between the Vancouver-Portland area and our branch offices in either Olympia (not that far up the road) or Pendleton (that far up the road. ;o) We've been far too long without a proper smooth jazz station on the air in this area, and the Seeburg 1000 stream (another of my favourites, http://206.107.227.170:8000 ) does get kind of droning after enough continuous hours.

In other words, I am enjoying The Wave and hope you keep it going for quite a good long while yet. Cheers!

WOW, I see I have some catching up to do. :D Nice to see the board has been active. After a week in Disney with the younglings, and a week of travel for work, can't say I have been same this weekend. ;D

So glad you are enjoying the stream, Darth Vader. Thanks for the kind words!

AC Tones said:
WOW, I see I have some catching up to do. :D Nice to see the board has been active. After a week in Disney with the younglings, and a week of travel for work, can't say I have been same this weekend. ;D

So glad you are enjoying the stream, Darth Vader. Thanks for the kind words!

Glad to have you back AC. 8) I haven't much time with you all either, my sister just graduated Friday and we have been out of town for that. I always look forward to read folks comments about our great format.

Pardon the bump for a thread about the station, but I wanted to clarify a couple things to put regular listeners at ease (and to make some cringe :D). The good news is, I have decided to keep the stream going. A few days ago, I thought hard about signing off for good on June 30th, 3 years after launching. More good news. Contemporary jazz music, old and new, will continue to be the focus of my programming (I still anticipate about a 4:1 ratio of instrumental to vocal cuts). But I do not plan on playing it safe with the vocals anymore. IMO, we have played it safe for far too long. Some cuts you will like, some you most certainly won't like. But as long as you guys understand that this effort is a longterm strategy and not fly-by-night, I am hoping you can understand that my heart is in the right place. It is all about trying to keep this format viable and relevant. Otherwise, I fear the alternative is fewer and fewer new projects being produced. You don't need to hear this from me, but this is a critical time for our music for any number of reasons (terrestrial flips, morph to Smooth A/C, terrible economy, etc.). That being said, here is the new motto and credo for the station that I hope will help make instrumental music a "cool" alternative for new listeners:

"Good music has no boundaries."

It will take some time to update the website, but all I can ask is everyone's patience with the process and programming tweak. Let's get this party started! 8)

Radical348 said:
Still been listening for the past week and still love it but Taylor Swift has GOT to go...

Appreciate the feedback, man. I realize a number of these vocals are polarizing, and the transitions may be awkward for regular listeners. I continue to evaluate and re-evaluate, add and delete tracks, and massage the code. As long as you and other listeners understand this is a work in progress and a longterm strategy with an underlying goal of expanding appeal for the format to a new generation (younger demo) of listeners while minimizing alienation of the base, I am hoping you all can deal with an occasional surprise tune/artist here and there. I prefer not to go in the Beyonce direction others have chosen to take---I think the Urban Contemporary/Hip Hop route is the easy and predictable way to go. My goal is to be unpredictable, a controlled form of chaos that somehow comes together with pleasing melodies. I am going for the AOR and Soft Rock-type vocals from yesterday, and more Pop/Rock/AAA/Chill vocals from today. My thinking is, if I can go deep with current Pop/Soft A/C artists with name recognition, but find more downtempo and less-Pop sounding stuff, I might be able to pull it off. But admittedly, some of the tunes are a little too Pop-sounding for an instrumental heavy presentation, and won't last long in the rotation.

one big factor to me is context. We have a trippy music mix at work now. I think it's a combination of several of the Muzak channels ..they go from old obscure motown (Mary Wells "Bye Bye Baby") to eclectic to mainstream A/C and everything in between from Adele to Death Cab For Cutie to Taylor Swift - except, thank God, none of the Carey/Houston melisma ballads from the 90s. There are a lot of songs that pop up in this mix that I enjoy hearing within this mix but I would not want to hear on a radio station that I hit up to listen to a specific type of music. i.e. old Motown sounds good here, it doesn't sound good on a contemporary jazz station to me. Same with Phil Collins because it is not surrounded with other songs that have been burnt to a crisp.

AnotherCat said:
one big factor to me is context. We have a trippy music mix at work now. I think it's a combination of several of the Muzak channels ..they go from old obscure motown (Mary Wells "Bye Bye Baby") to eclectic to mainstream A/C and everything in between from Adele to Death Cab For Cutie to Taylor Swift - except, thank God, none of the Carey/Houston melisma ballads from the 90s. There are a lot of songs that pop up in this mix that I enjoy hearing within this mix but I would not want to hear on a radio station that I hit up to listen to a specific type of music. i.e. old Motown sounds good here, it doesn't sound good on a contemporary jazz station to me. Same with Phil Collins because it is not surrounded with other songs that have been burnt to a crisp.

I hear you, Cat. It would be easy for me to go all instrumental, placate the diehard fans, and minimize the flaming comments :D. For the most part, I have been doing that the 3 years I have been on the air. I guess I have finally conceded that this music alone, no matter how great it is, is not going to save us from the abyss. I fear this music is going to gradually disappear if we don't find a way to make it "hip," for lack of a better term, in a broader context. Not to sound like a broken record, but we have to find a way to recruit new AND younger listeners, and I believe (at least at this point in time) that the way we do it is to inject deeper vocal cuts from current AAA and Soft A/C artists, some AOR cuts that work, Chill vocals with vibe, alongside of contemporary instrumentals (cjazz and Chill). Some may call me a hypocrite for castigating BA for going for mass appeal and alienating base listeners in the mid-1990s. Here's the difference. That was about greed. This is about survival. We now have creativity in the studio again. We can't let it go to waste. We have to be even more creative as programmers. We have to make new listeners think it is actually cool to listen to instrumental music. As you have noted, we can bridge these gaps somewhat at festivals. But what I want to know is, what are these and other listeners listening to when they are not listening to cjazz? I think that is an important question we have to ask programming a dying format with an uncertain future. For me, it's pre-Classic Rock radio (AOR). But are those vocals going to suck in younger listeners? The older guys like it, but the music is music they can relate to and what they grew up with. What about the 20-35 year olds? That's why I think I need some younger current AAA and mainstream/Soft A/C artists, despite the criticism. That's why listener feedback is so important to me. The more guys that weigh in, the better chance I have to satisfy their needs as listeners and come up with a station that is as close to "one stop shopping" as you can get and still feature contemporary instrumental music.

AC Tones said:
Radical348 said:
Still been listening for the past week and still love it but Taylor Swift has GOT to go...

Appreciate the feedback, man. I realize a number of these vocals are polarizing, and the transitions may be awkward for regular listeners. I continue to evaluate and re-evaluate, add and delete tracks, and massage the code. As long as you and other listeners understand this is a work in progress and a longterm strategy with an underlying goal of expanding appeal for the format to a new generation (younger demo) of listeners while minimizing alienation of the base, I am hoping you all can deal with an occasional surprise tune/artist here and there. I prefer not to go in the Beyonce direction others have chosen to take---I think the Urban Contemporary/Hip Hop route is the easy and predictable way to go. My goal is to be unpredictable, a controlled form of chaos that somehow comes together with pleasing melodies. I am going for the AOR and Soft Rock-type vocals from yesterday, and more Pop/Rock/AAA/Chill vocals from today. My thinking is, if I can go deep with current Pop/Soft A/C artists with name recognition, but find more downtempo and less-Pop sounding stuff, I might be able to pull it off. But admittedly, some of the tunes are a little too Pop-sounding for an instrumental heavy presentation, and won't last long in the rotation.

I understand...and I'm certainly glad you're not going the Beyonce direction! :) I just thought that Taylor Swift was a bit too jarring (both vocally and instrumentally) but, I would believe that even that song could sound decent in the proper flow.

I really like your idea of throwing in pop/rock/AAA/chill vocals. AAA is my favorite format and I had been thinking there were a lot of songs that could go back & forth between AAA (and even the more electric/lighter Alternative tracks) & Smooth Jazz. Have you checked out The National or Iron & Wine? What do you think about Radiohead or Coldplay? Not everything by these bands would fit, but I think they have more than a few songs that could work. ("Lotus Flower" or "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" comes to mind for Radiohead...and for Coldplay, "Trouble," "The Hardest Part," & maybe "Life in Technicolor." John Mayer has some tracks that could work too...perhaps "Clarity," or a few tracks off his first album..."Neon" & "Back to You" come to mind. (Just not "Daughters," please.) Wilco has a few tracks that would work, such as "Jesus Etc" or "Handshake Drugs." I remember thinking Cake could be pretty jazzy, although maybe his vocals might be a bit too out there.

What do you think about some new wave songs? They and smooth jazz songs both share the common ground of synthesizers and electronica. Some of the lighter hits could work. I had always thought that Duran Duran's "Ordinary World" or Pet Shop Boys' "West End Girls" would fit on Smooth Jazz quite well.
The Blue Nile is another good band (especially recommend "The Downtown Lights".) Even something like The Cure's remake of "Purple Haze" or Thomas Dolby's "I Love You Goodbye" would work. (The latter, which I add, sounds REALLY good next to Kevin Toney's "Kings" -- I played Kings after ILYG on my alt. radio show regularly, and nobody batted an eye!)

Thanks for the feedback!! Looking hard at the new wave stuff from the early 80s. Already added cuts from Men At Work, The Cure, Duran Duran, Roxy Music, et al. Definitely need to look at Dolby and Pet Shop Boys, particularly their deeper cuts.

I want to avoid the grungy, folksy, acoustic-heavy AAA. There is a lot of it out there. I want to add the more melodic tunes that have crossover appeal. Definitely going to look at some of the cuts you suggested. Not surprised your listeners did not bat an eye when you spun Kevin Toney's "Kings." That's sharp programming. The transition was seamless and refreshing for your listeners because they had faith in you and what you were doing. That's eventually where I want to get when my listeners hear some of these vocals. I want them to be pleasantly surprised instead of put off. It's going to take awhile, but I think eventually I be able to win over even diehard instrumentalists.

Radical348 said:
AC Tones said:
Radical348 said:

I understand...and I'm certainly glad you're not going the Beyonce direction! :) I just thought that Taylor Swift was a bit too jarring (both vocally and instrumentally) but, I would believe that even that song could sound decent in the proper flow.

I really like your idea of throwing in pop/rock/AAA/chill vocals. AAA is my favorite format and I had been thinking there were a lot of songs that could go back & forth between AAA (and even the more electric/lighter Alternative tracks) & Smooth Jazz. Have you checked out The National or Iron & Wine? What do you think about Radiohead or Coldplay? Not everything by these bands would fit, but I think they have more than a few songs that could work. ("Lotus Flower" or "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" comes to mind for Radiohead...and for Coldplay, "Trouble," "The Hardest Part," & maybe "Life in Technicolor." John Mayer has some tracks that could work too...perhaps "Clarity," or a few tracks off his first album..."Neon" & "Back to You" come to mind. (Just not "Daughters," please.) Wilco has a few tracks that would work, such as "Jesus Etc" or "Handshake Drugs." I remember thinking Cake could be pretty jazzy, although maybe his vocals might be a bit too out there.

What do you think about some new wave songs? They and smooth jazz songs both share the common ground of synthesizers and electronica. Some of the lighter hits could work. I had always thought that Duran Duran's "Ordinary World" or Pet Shop Boys' "West End Girls" would fit on Smooth Jazz quite well.
The Blue Nile is another good band (especially recommend "The Downtown Lights".) Even something like The Cure's remake of "Purple Haze" or Thomas Dolby's "I Love You Goodbye" would work. (The latter, which I add, sounds REALLY good next to Kevin Toney's "Kings" -- I played Kings after ILYG on my alt. radio show regularly, and nobody batted an eye!)

Terrific AAA suggestions, BTW. Found some real nice cuts from The National and Iron & Wine that definitely work. And COMPETELY agree with the synthy/electronica sound of the second British invasion that got cut off at the knees. Been sampling a lot of it lately, and I am surprised how much of it never made it to mainstream radio back then.

Radical348 said:
AC Tones said:
Radical348 said:

The Blue Nile is another good band (especially recommend "The Downtown Lights".)

Wow someone else who know's Blue Nile. Played them regularly on my show. Little known fact, Chris Botti, when he was an unknown worked with Blue Nile. Also Electronic and a track called Getting Away With It works with the format, In my opinion.

Nock

Nock said:
Wow someone else who know's Blue Nile. Played them regularly on my show. Little known fact, Chris Botti, when he was an unknown worked with Blue Nile. Also Electronic and a track called Getting Away With It works with the format, In my opinion.

Nock

They're great, aren't they! :)
Makes sense @ Chris Botti - he covered the Blue Nile's "Easter Parade" on his Night Sessions album.
And on the topic of Blue Nile covers, Annie Lennox also covered "The Downtown Lights."

The Blue Nile has been one of the Hippest groups for over 2 decades. There would be no way anybody programming mainstream SJ radio would have played them

Hey gang. I am very pleased to announce that wavjazz.net is now officially a member of tunegenie.com! If you are not familiar with the service, tunegenie offers a terrific "Now Playing" feature that not only displays current track data, but you can check out what has been played throughout the day (and go back even further). Even better, the tunegenie interface is not only attractive, but it is super functional, giving listeners click to buy options, short audio clips of the cuts, videos and song lyrics where available, artist discographies, and Facebook support (enabling you to post comments on/like the cut). It is social radio at its best, IMO. Yeah, I know. It looks eerily like the BA interface, but I promise, that's where the similarities end. ;) I am going to try very hard this weekend to do a simple/temporary update on the website and the Loudcity listening page to incorporate the tunegenie plugin, and give you all the opportunity to make requests by e-mail. But in the meantime, feel free to check out the station's playlist page at the tunegenie website at http://wavjazz.tunegenie.com.

I listened all day and WOW -- was blown away so many times! Who knew that "A Forest" (one of my favorite Cure tracks) could sound so good on Smooth Jazz? Also loved the Robert Plant and Real Life tracks. I'm telling ya, there's an extremely thin line between New Wave/Smooth Jazz! ;D

Also heard The National's "Sorrow" the other week. :)

Radical348 said:
I listened all day and WOW -- was blown away so many times! Who knew that "A Forest" (one of my favorite Cure tracks) could sound so good on Smooth Jazz? Also loved the Robert Plant and Real Life tracks. I'm telling ya, there's an extremely thin line between New Wave/Smooth Jazz! ;D

Also heard The National's "Sorrow" the other week. :)

Thanks man! I'm trying hard to inject some new life into this format with vocals it has rarely if ever seen. Some really like it, others, well...you know...it's a work in progress ;) I expected that. But I think some of the New Wave stuff definitely works, particularly deeper cuts. Thomas Dolby has some terrific stuff that I worked seamlessly into the program, as well as The Pet Shop Boys. I have been pleasantly surprised with how well the early 80s New Wave stuff has worked. The AAA stuff is working out nicely as well. I have been closely monitoring my stats and guys are still listening after these cuts roll out, which is a good sign. In time, I will be weeding out the laidback 70s cuts, but I am going to try to keep some of the AOR in there. The next challenge is getting guys to buy into some of the current Pop/Rock vocals. Tougher sell, for sure. But if I can go deep and find those cuts with more of that AAA vibe and less Pop-sounding, I think I can pull it off. Thanks again for the feedback, and thanks for listening!!! The new website I have been working on looks great and should be up in a week or so.

Peace,

Chris

AC Tones said:
Thanks man! I'm trying hard to inject some new life into this format with vocals it has rarely if ever seen. Some really like it, others, well...you know...it's a work in progress ;) I expected that. But I think some of the New Wave stuff definitely works, particularly deeper cuts. Thomas Dolby has some terrific stuff that I worked seamlessly into the program, as well as The Pet Shop Boys. I have been pleasantly surprised with how well the early 80s New Wave stuff has worked. The AAA stuff is working out nicely as well. I have been closely monitoring my stats and guys are still listening after these cuts roll out, which is a good sign. In time, I will be weeding out the laidback 70s cuts, but I am going to try to keep some of the AOR in there. The next challenge is getting guys to buy into some of the current Pop/Rock vocals. Tougher sell, for sure. But if I can go deep and find those cuts with more of that AAA vibe and less Pop-sounding, I think I can pull it off. Thanks again for the feedback, and thanks for listening!!! The new website I have been working on looks great and should be up in a week or so.

Peace,

Chris

I have been listening on my cell phone while I'm out sometimes and the music mix is pretty good Chris. A lot better selection than some of the other stations that are out there. Looking foward to the new site. : )

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom