What ever happend to Q99 WQMV Vicksburg Jackson? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What ever happend to Q99 WQMV Vicksburg Jackson?

Re: What ever happend to Q99 WQMV Vicksburg Jackson?

Firs of all Ted was the Dallas jock in middays. For some reason they let Scott Mateer do a live audition in afternoon dive. He did a lot of long controversial phone bits and barged that he was going to be the new PD. When I asked Kirk Sherwood our GM at the time if this was true he said not only is he not going to be the PD but also would not be on the air at all. Then a few days later he shows up at 6AM telling the overnight jock he was the new morning man and PD, All turned out to be true.
    Before and after the transmitter fire the station was late paying us regular. Scott suddenly exited the station. The way I remember it he was in the GM's office behind closed doors arguing with our GM about the pay checks. Now Kirk the GM was a laid back person. One of those people who is you ever did get him mad it would be like a volcano and that happed when he was talking to Scott about the money situation . Suddenly Kirks door opens it it seems like Scott was ejected and that was it for him. The PD who stole the TV was Scott's replacement.

No doubt I had great stories from Q99, It was a wild place I remember Roz, but my Xwife was Roxanne doing overnights. She became very good I have more stories about this Q similar to what I have shared. It was one of the most insane stations I was with.

By the way After a few years at Q99 as the Incredibleness Thin Man I left for a while and returned as Cliff tripper the rock and roll animal at night,

I did this kind of research on WQKT in Alabama because it was an extremely fun place to work and posed questions about what happened to that questions. If you go to the Alabama board you will see stories about that station.
    I started in radio in the 10 grade, was full time in pm drive in the 12th grade. I moved up in to major market eventually becoming a program director. I worked as  Cliff Clark, The Thin Man, Cliff Tripper and the last 15 years I have been Jeff Rivers. Now I build and sell websites

So YOU are the Rock and Roll animal. Thanks for clearing that up. Exactly what year did Q-99 switch from album rock to top 40?

First of all Ted was the Dallas jock in middays. For some reason they
    let Scott Mateer do a live audition in afternoon drive. He did a lot
    of long controversial phone bits and braged that he was going to be
    the new PD. When I asked Kirk Sherwood our GM at the time if this was
    true he said not only is he not going to be the PD but also would not
    be on the air at all. Then a few days later he shows up at 6AM telling
    the overnight jock he was the new morning man and PD, All turned out
    to be true.

Before and after the transmitter fire the station was late paying us
    regular. Scott suddenly exited the station. The way I remember it he
    was in the GM's office behind closed doors arguing with our GM about
    the pay checks. Now Kirk the GM was a laid back person, one of those
    people who if you ever did get him mad it would be like a volcano and
    thats happed when he was talking to Scott about the money situation .
    Suddenly Kirks door opens and it seems like Scott was ejected, and
    that was it for him. The PD who stole the TV was Scott's replacement.

No doubt I had great stories from Q99. It was a wild place I remember
    Roz, but my Xwife was Roxanne doing overnights. She became very good,
    I have more stories about this Q similar to what I have shared. It was
    one of the most insane stations I was with.

By the way, after a few years at Q99 as the Incredible Thin Man I left
    for a while and returned as Cliff Tripper the rock and roll animal at
    night.

I did this kind of research on WQKT in Alabama because it was an
    extremely fun place to work and posed questions about what happened.
    If you go to the Alabama board you will see stories about that
    station.
    I started in radio in the 10 grade, was full time in pm drive in the 12th grade. I moved up in to major market eventually becoming a program director. I worked as  Cliff Clark, The Thin Man, Cliff Tripper and the last 15 years I have been Jeff Rivers. Now I build and sell websites

Tripper...what's up?

I was at Q99 the same time you were...along with Bill Wilson, Scott Mateer, Ted Hartley, Kirk Sherwood and you and your wife.

I was the one that flew to Minnesota to get the xmitter to replace the one that burned up. Yes, the feds investigated that one. I was also the one who went to Chicago to get the flex coax for the tower at Raymond.

Coupla stories about Q99.

The only place I ever did a live remote from a bicycle racetrack.

Used to love watching Scott Mateer eat an entire roll of toilet paper while he was on the air.

We had a client that hated the first two spots we cut for him, so we cut 3 spots and played him the first one...waited an hour or two and played him the 2nd one...then, a couple of hours later we played him the 3rd, which, of course, he loved.

Ted Hartley was a devout Catholic, and when he was given a women's clinic spot to cut he refused. He was laid off...and the relationship between he and Q99 went downhill after that.

The studios were in the middle of a steep hill, and when it snowed or iced, getting to work was a true adventure.

On payday, the checks were tossed in the middle of the table...and if you weren't there, or you got out the door late, they weren't any good. If you were 3rd in line at the bank drive-thru, you were screwed. You didn't DARE deposit it in your bank account, 'cause if you did...it was no good.

Good to hear from you again, Tripper...

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by superhet61568

On payday, the checks were tossed in the middle of the table...
    The infamous Q99 paychecks. . . Roz said that the owner(s) needed the station’s money to keep their Meridian TV station afloat. At lunch one day Roz was contemplating an offer from WJDX but at the last minute she discovered that the amount JDX was discussing was “per month,” not “per week.” Basically, JDX was paying less than Q99 (welcome to the big city). She said she was going to hang in there because Pepsi was buying Q99. I lost track of whatever happened, although I saw in an earlier post someone said Pepsi did buy Q99.

Flash forward to today and Q99 is now Mix 98,WJKK (no idea why those call letters). It is a soft robotic sounding AC station that usually has a lowly two-point-something in the in the Arbitron. Although this summer 98.7 had a 4.0 ‒ the surge was due to their morning show ratings. Brock and EJ were #1 with women 25-54 and #2 persons 25-54. (I feel it is necessary to mention that these are non-urban format results. . . the urban stations here are very touchy. . . the term non-urban sends them into whinnymuffin land!)

Your other Vicksburg station (WKYB?) became Z106 and your Q99 manager Kirk was their GM. Z106 has done much better in Jackson than Q99. I don't think money was a problem there - I once heard them offer a Ferrari as a prize! Trivia (from my sister). Originally 106.7 was to be called Y106 and the “Y” was to look very similar to a football goal post but at the last minute (when they had to change their call letters) he picked “Z.” The “Z” was written in lipstick on a napkin and then transposed (that’s why it looks ragged. . . using a napkin as a canvas does that!). Although I like the Z, my favorite was the “Y” with the rebel flag coming through the goal post. . . . at one point that logo was nearly a “go.”

106 was WKYV. Originally built by Bill Hosington, and featuring Morris Currie as a DJ...it was a ground breaker as it was the first country FM in the area...I think they were a little before their time...it was different, that's for sure. Thanks JBI

First of all Ted was the Dallas jock in middays. For some reason they let Scott Mateer do a live audition in afternoon drive. He did a lot of long controversial phone bits and braged that he was going to be the new PD. When I asked Kirk Sherwood our GM at the time if this was true he said not only is he not going to be the PD but also would not be on the air at all. Then a few days later he shows up at 6AM telling the overnight jock he was the new morning man and PD, All turned out to be true.

Before and after the transmitter fire the station was late paying us regular. Scott suddenly exited the station. The way I remember it he was in the GM's office behind closed doors arguing with our GM about the pay checks. Now Kirk the GM was a laid back person, one of those people who if you ever did get him mad it would be like a volcano and thats happed when he was talking to Scott about the money situation . Suddenly Kirks door opens and it seems like Scott was ejected, and that was it for him. The PD who stole the TV was Scott's replacement.

No doubt I had great stories from Q99. It was a wild place I remember Roz, but my Xwife was Roxanne doing overnights. She became very good, I have more stories about this Q similar to what I have shared. It was one of the most insane stations I was with.

By the way, after a few years at Q99 as the Incredible Thin Man I left for a while and returned as Cliff Tripper the rock and roll animal at night.

I did this kind of research on WQKT in Alabama because it was an extremely fun place to work and posed questions about what happened. If you go to the Alabama board you will see stories about that station.

Inactive

Hey Soundblast. . . are you reliving the movie Ground Hog Day . . . in real time. . .

I was kinda wondering that too. Fran, I've noticed the exchanges between you and others about urbans and I certainly dont want to spar over stations that I'm not involved with, but the Mix calls were chosen WAY before there was a such thing as a Jack format and the only reason I can figure is that they also own WOKK in Meridian. As for the Summer book, ALL dayparts doubled in shares, not just mornings. I suspect that will change after tomorrows trend. I dont really consider them soft with their currents being Kid Rock, Maroon 5, Coldplay and others. Just my opinion here but I wouldnt want to be programming an AC in a market the makeup of Jackson. Anyway, I think my pot-pie is ready.

I am the guy who originally started this subject and I was the
    rock and roll animal. My first year at Q 99 I was the increasable
    Thin Man but left the station for a couple of months and returned as
    Cliff Tripper The Rock and Roll Animal.

Ted (I forgot his last name) was the Dallas jock in middays. For some reason they
    let Scott Mateer do a live audition in afternoon drive. He did a lot
    of long controversial phone bits and braged that he was going to be
    the new PD. When I asked Kirk Sherwood our GM at the time if this was
    true he said not only is he not going to be the PD but also would not
    be on the air at all. Then a few days later he shows up at 6AM telling
    the overnight jock he was the new morning man and PD, All turned out
    to be true.

Before and after the transmitter fire the station was late paying us
    regular. Scott suddenly exited the station. The way I remember it he
    was in the GM's office behind closed doors arguing with our GM about
    the pay checks. Now Kirk the GM was a laid back person, one of those
    people who if you ever did get him mad it would be like a volcano and
    thats happed when he was talking to Scott about the money situation .
    Suddenly Kirks door opens and it seems like Scott was ejected, and
    that was it for him. The PD who stole the TV was Scott's replacement.

No doubt I had great stories from Q99. It was a wild place I remember
    Roz, but my Xwife was Roxanne doing overnights. She became very good,
    I have more stories about this Q similar to what I have shared. It was
    one of the most insane stations I was with.

By the way, after a few years at Q99 as the Incredible Thin Man I left
    for a while and returned as Cliff Tripper the rock and roll animal at
    night.

I did this kind of research on WQKT in Alabama because it was an
    extremely fun place to work and posed questions about what happened.
    If you go to the Alabama board you will see stories about that
    station.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast