What ever happend to Q99 WQMV Vicksburg Jackson?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What ever happend to Q99 WQMV Vicksburg Jackson?

What ever happend to Q99 WQMV Vicksburg Jackson?

I was at Q99 (98.7) WQMV in its top 40 days Vicksburg in the early 80's. The station went from 2500 watts to 100,000 watts to compete in Jackson around 1983 competing After another year I went to a bigger market. The station competed with Jackson's other top 40 station WTYX but never did very well. Since the station is no longer to 40 I want to know when and why the abandoned top 40 and the format it went to as well as what formats have occupied that frequency.. The station has major market programming people and sounded good. I personal think it never had a signal that was good enough to do well against other Jackson station.
    I started in radio in the 10 grade, was full time in pm drive in the 12th grade. I moved up in to major market eventually becoming a program director. I worked as  Cliff Clark, The Thin Man, Cliff Tripper and the last 15 years I have been Jeff Rivers. Now I build and sell websites

Re: What ever happend to Q99 WQMV Vicksburg Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by soundblast
    I was at Q99 (98.7) WQMV in its top 40 days Vicksburg in the early 80's. The station went from 2500 watts to 100,000 watts to compete in Jackson around 1983 competing After another year I went to a bigger market. The station competed with Jackson's other top 40 station WTYX but never did very well. Since the station is no longer to 40 I want to know when and why the abandoned top 40 and the format it went to as well as what formats have occupied that frequency.. The station has major market programming people and sounded good. I personal think it never had a signal that was good enough to do well against other Jackson station.

First who are you. I listened to Q99 all the time back than with my dads outside antenna. I remember Christian being there. I also remember a whistling type of sound when it was in stereo. Something was wrong with the procesing till.....It went Country

So Q99 went to..
    Country
    Rock (As 98 Rock WCKO)
    Top 40 again as Hot 98 (Believe that was the name)
    Country (again)

Than it gets kind of fuzzy
    Urban??
    AC?
    Country (yet again) Sara K was there or was that before (1250 WHNY McComb early 80s)
    Than to many diffrent AC Formats Hot AC/ AC Gold

Well theres my memories anyone else?
    Urban????
    Z98 hit after hit after hit after hit......

bobrall

When Gene Underwood sold the station, the new owners (Ken Brown - Pepsi ?) built a 600' tower near Bolton to serve Jackson.
    The result was not good. The station did not have a decent signal in Jackson until it was sold again and finally moved to a 1000' tower
    near Raymond. It and Z106 shared the tower location. Both are Vicksburg licensees and that particular location was one of the
    few available near Jackson that would also city grade Vicksburg. Z106 has since moved and is diplexed with another CC station.
    That may not be entirely accurate..but close.

Inactive

I was at Q99 (98.7) WQMV in its top 40 days Vicksburg in the early 80's.
    I knew Roz, their news director. I remember that their studios were extremely spacious with lots of big heavily carpeted offices, big sales area, conference rooms. Their control room was particularly impressive. I believe that Q99 operated from a reinvaded school building. Right?

I was by there a few times to see Roz and what I remember most was that everyone was always having fun. I know Roz loved it. Hard to find that level of passion these days. And yes, the station sounded really good and a number of Q99 folks later turned up at Jackson stations.

PS Question - On the day Q99 moved to Jackson its transmitter building burnt to the ground and the station was off the air for weeks. Urban legend? If not, were you there then?

As for me I was The Increasable Thin Man for a year or so then they fired me and others but I came back as Cliff Tripper 91 to 83. I am the person who original asked about the station. I also was also on the air when the transmitter burnt down. I was doing afternoon drive and the signal faded in to FM hiss over a few seconds. We tried to call the transmitter getting a busy signal. Our PD Bill Wilson drove to the transmitter and said the phone would not work because it was welded to the audio prosing as a result of the fire. We were off the air for a month Then they brought in a new transmitter and we were up form 2500 watts to 1000.00 watts Yes we had nice studios equipment but it says in a bad part of town.
    Mostly I did a high energy presentation at night. We took a pole letting people vote on the un coolest teacher. About the time I was going to announce the un coolest teacher teachers started calling in threatening to sue us. My PD told me to announce that I had gone over board so we were not going to make the announcement and were taking a poll for the coolest teacher the next night.

WE had a lot of good talent like Jim Jamison JJ Mc Kay who had his one uhual trailar for moving station to station I guess and when he got married he got her one too.
    Our GM midday guy was Capitan Kirk Sherwood. We even had a guy who who had word top 40 in Dallas. Scott Matear was with us for a short time. There were 2 kinds of jocks at that station. One kind was there for years and the other kind was there for 4 months or less.

Among the many weird things that took place there was when we hired a new PD from JDX/
    After a couple of weeks of jocking at JDX and begin our PD he did not show up for work.
    Upon investigation our GM found that his live in girlfriend after having a fight with him tuned him in to the police for giving he a stolen TV set. Of course the real crime was having stolen the TV
    I started in radio in the 10 grade, was full time in pm drive in the 12th grade. I moved up in to major market eventually becoming a program director. I worked as  Cliff Clark, The Thin Man, Cliff Tripper and the last 15 years I have been Jeff Rivers. Now I build and sell websites

Wow that's some good radio story telling there, stolen TV sets, pissed off teachers and a torched xmitter! What was the teachers' beef? I mean if there is a coolest, then in theory someone would be at the bottom of that list. I guess some teacher was in denial about not being the coolest... ???

Inactive

I am the person who original asked about the station. I also was also on the air when the transmitter burnt down. I was doing afternoon drive and the signal faded in to FM hiss over a few seconds. We tried to call the transmitter getting a busy signal. Our PD Bill Wilson drove to the transmitter and said the phone would not work because it was welded to the audio prosing as a result of the fire. We were off the air for a month
    Interesting story about the transmitter. . . never heard of a transmitter building catching on fire and taking a station off the air for a month!

I never knew Scott worked at Q99. I think the Dallas DJ you mentioned was Ted Hartley, who is still the best voice talent in Mississippi. I had always associated Kirk with Z106. I believe Bill Wilson is still in Jackson. You had a lady DJ who was hired as the morning sidekick with Walt (I remember seeing her at WYYN one day ‒ brown hair and eyes. . .maybe she was Wendy, but I am not sure of that) . BTW: I lost track of Roslyn. . . any idea if she is still in radio? After Q99 moved to Jackson I do not recall ever seeing your Jackson studio.

Since you worked the afternoon shift, we probably met in passing. I was visiting Roz one afternoon when you all were celebrating something, the conference room table was filled with catered food. They were handing out Q99 coffee cups, stickers and t-Shirts. . . I still have the Q99 coffee cup but the calls letters are extremely faded. As is my memory!

Great reading on the latter days....Too bad that many of you never experienced the founder, Gene Underwood and his wife, Tillie, that Bob Rall referred to.
    The original call letters meant " Quality Music Vicksburg"...and it was just that.
    Anybody know if they are still around? Thanks JBI.

Yes, Gene and Tillie are still around. I just saw them in Sept. at the annual Lebanese Dinner at the Orthodox Church. They're still the same nice folks and Gene still has those great pipes. I try to see them a couple of times a year.

I remember Scott Mateer on 98.7, but it burnt down not long after he started. It seems like he was at 94 TYX by the time Q-99 got back on the air. As a matter of fact, he kinda got mad at me on this website because I joked that it was strange that both Rock 102 (101.7) and Q-99 burned down not long after he started. I was joking of course, but he sounded like he was mad. BTW. I vagely remember Q-99 in the seventies as some sort of underground album rock station, kinda like ZZQ, It was hard to pick up back in those days, but I thought it was cool. How long did that last? I also remember it used to simulcast with its sister station WJFL 1490 even after they moved to Jackson.

Whatever happened to the jock that had the throaty voice who called himself "the Rock and Roll Animal" who was that? used to listen to him every night at Hinds Jr. College.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast