• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCTA 810AM Alamo,TN Dark?

FUN

Regular Participant
I notice the other day that WCTA 810am in Alamo Tennessee is DARK! :'( I do not know when this happened
or if it is forever? I went by the studios this afternoon and no lights,no computer in the window. I also went
by the tower site and the transmitter door is open wide with no lights and gate locked up tight nobody around. Is this for sale,do they have problems? or is it going to be dark? anybody know?

I live in Alamo, and they've been on and off for the last couple of years. When they were on, it was almost nothing but automated news/talk except for a few local church programs. There would be times where they would be on for a short time and then be dead for hours in the middle of the day. They've been totally silent for several months now.

Foy my part they might as well stay off if they aren't going to either keep it on or sell to someone who will. (Chris Lash are you out there?)

I became friends with Billy about 5 years ago when I went to work for the Tennessee Radio Network. He and I seemed to operate on the same wave length and had a good time together when I went through.
More than a year ago, it became a problem to get in touch with him until finally one day he answered the phone. He explained he'd had health problems and had been away for a while but all was getting better. then, he was no longer answering any of his phones and I had them all, home, cells and station.
Finally I called a couple of places in town and was told his health had deteroriated and he was unable to run the station. I checked another couple of sources and was told the station was dark. Haven't had any correspondence since and unable to locate a relative.
If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it. I'm retired now, but Billy was a great guy and always fun to talk to. Would appreciate any update. Buddy Sadler....

Both Billy's home and station numbers have been disconnected. He had a stroke and is in a nursing home.

I spoke to someone at Alamo City hall and they've told me how to reach his family which we are attempting to do to find out what's going on.

If it has been off for more than 30 days and has not been filed with the FCC for being dark, the license can be lost. At least that is my understanding. It might be difficult for someone to purchase it from the current owners for fear of an objection being filed.

radiofan4life said:
If it has been off for more than 30 days and has not been filed with the FCC for being dark, the license can be lost. At least that is my understanding. It might be difficult for someone to purchase it from the current owners for fear of an objection being filed.

Not true.

If you're silent more then 30 days, you have to notify the FCC and request silent authority.

It can be silent up to a year (with proper notification) before any issues.

Even if it's off more then 30 days without notification but it's been less then a year... there won't be any major issues.. the FCC is very flexible these days and rarely revokes a license.

radiofan4life said:
It sounded from the earlier posts like they had been off for quite some time. Maybe that's not the case here.

The FCC depends on the licensee to report it, unless you have absolute concrete proof, it wont do any good.

Plus, in cases like this.. with major health issues, they have a flexible pencil

radiofan4life said:
What would you do in a case like this?

If I was the FCC? I wouldn't revoke the license.. I think WCTA's owner was probably the only employee.

We haven't heard back from his family yet, I'm going to try and call them again this week

Sorry. I didn't mean to ask "what would you do if you were the FCC" I meant to ask "what would you do if you were interested in buying the station"?

radiofan4life said:
Sorry. I didn't mean to ask "what would you do if you were the FCC" I meant to ask "what would you do if you were interested in buying the station"?

Maybe continue the news/talk programming WCTA had on it.. not sure.. would listren when I got to the market and see what everyone else is doing.

I think it would be hard for this station to be sold at this point. I know of one person who has openly stated he would object to it due to no STA filing. It's been off the air for 3 years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom