• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Alternative Rock Show

franksandhotdogs

Inactive
Inactive User
My station airs an alternative rock show on Sunday nights, because the market doesn't have an alternative station. WXXL in Orlando had "Alternative Static" in the 90s when they lacked an alt station.

I've always thought it was a good idea to do an alt rock show if you're in a smaller market lacking an alt station, but there aren't very many other CHRs that do that (XL93/Grand Forks and KKK/Marshall are the only ones I can think of off my mind that do).

Thoughts?

franksandhotdogs said:
My station airs an alternative rock show on Sunday nights, because the market doesn't have an alternative station. WXXL in Orlando had "Alternative Static" in the 90s when they lacked an alt station.

I've always thought it was a good idea to do an alt rock show if you're in a smaller market lacking an alt station, but there aren't very many other CHRs that do that (XL93/Grand Forks and KKK/Marshall are the only ones I can think of off my mind that do).

Thoughts?

If the product is strong (aesthetically speaking) and it sells well in your market, then go for it! I can't understand why the Alt-Rock hit "Time to Pretend" by MGMT doesn't get airplay on CHR/Pop radio. The Z-100 of my youth (circa 1985-1990) would've played that song without reservations.

Yup, we have a client that sponsors the two hour show.  We air Open House Party (5 hours), then its followed by the alt. rock show (2 hours) on sunday nights.  The MGMT is good lyrically IMO, but listeners thought it was too trippy (we tested it on the new music feature several months back, but we played it on the alt show).  It is good that bands like 311, Kings of Leon, etc. are on the commercial airwaves in my market despite being relegated to Sun. nites only.

franksandhotdogs said:
Yup, we have a client that sponsors the two hour show. We air Open House Party (5 hours), then its followed by the alt. rock show (2 hours) on sunday nights. The MGMT is good lyrically IMO, but listeners thought it was too trippy (we tested it on the new music feature several months back, but we played it on the alt show). It is good that bands like 311, Kings of Leon, etc. are on the commercial airwaves in my market despite being relegated to Sun. nites only.

Your users thought MGMT was "too trippy"? MGMT???!?!???? You must have a REALLY conservative audience.

p_herring said:
franksandhotdogs said:
Yup, we have a client that sponsors the two hour show. We air Open House Party (5 hours), then its followed by the alt. rock show (2 hours) on sunday nights. The MGMT is good lyrically IMO, but listeners thought it was too trippy (we tested it on the new music feature several months back, but we played it on the alt show). It is good that bands like 311, Kings of Leon, etc. are on the commercial airwaves in my market despite being relegated to Sun. nites only.

Your users thought MGMT was "too trippy"? MGMT???!?!???? You must have a REALLY conservative audience.

For regular rotation, yes. (I'm at a CHR station, not an alt station.)

For the alt show, no.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom