• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best Songs of 2008

It is almost getting that time of year.... end of the year means end of the years countdowns.
In your opinion what were the best and worst songs of the 2008?

Best: Stop and Stare - One Republic - The song slowly grows on you. It doesn't hit you immediately but then you slowly realize the beauty of it.
Worst: Viva La Vida - Coldplay - A song that tries so hard to be big and important yet misses its mark by a mile. Hot heapin' mess with lots of gibberish lyrics.

honorable mention for best of the year: Don't Stop the Music - Rihanna - Sista can hit it.
honorable mention for worst of the year: Burnin' Up - Jonas Brothers - It is so bad it is comical. There seems to be three parts of the song that they just melded together. Then that 1990s-type rap at the end makes the song comically bad.

Yours?

(Songs released in '07 don't count!)

I would put the Jonas Brothers way below Coldplay. You can make the argument for OneRepublic, but what are the best and worst songs are clearly subjective. Personally, my favorite is "I Kissed A Girl" by Katy Perry, but that's merely my opinion.

Best: "Bleeding Love" - Leona Lewis... To me, this is a clear cut no-brainer - something that hasn't happened in terms of a "best song" at this format in several years. I first heard this song on a girl's MySpace page late last year and I feel in love with it from the first listen.I simply couldn't get over how good it was. I'm proud to say I actually bought this song in December, 2007. Soon thereafter I proclaimed on another music board "I hope this song becomes sickeningly huge" once it goes for airplay in the U.S...... and lo and behold it did just that! 10 weeks at #1 to go along with the all-time format spins and the audience records!!!

Undoubtedly, BL was the best written song of the year, and vocally it was the best song out there hands down... simply put, it's a musical masterpiece... Everyone from programmer to listener ate this one up from day one, as evidenced from the stellar call-out scores and massive sales - it was #1 in sales before it really even caught fire at the format. It also hit #1 at Hot AC, becoming only the second song ever to have 10+ weeks at #1 at both pop and Hot AC (the other was Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn.")

Worst: "I Kissed A Girl" - Katy Perry... Annoying, annoying, annoying!!! A novelty song that turned into a much bigger hit than it should have been. The chorus, lyrics, everything got very old very fast... thankfully, this is one that won't make it to Gold status at too many CHRs.

BEST- Rihanna "Disturbia", Chris Brown "Forever", Katy Perry " Hot 'N Cold", T.I. "Whatever You Like"

WORST- Lil Wayne "A Milli"

My favorites: M.I.A.-"Paper Planes" and Rihanna-"Disturbia"

My least favorites, anything by Jordin Sparks, Chris Brown, or any combination of the two :)

I think the creepy Nick Pitera version of "Bleeding Love" on Youtube takes that one to a whole new level :-D

If we're looking at sheer success, I think Lil Wayne "Lollipop" has to be mentioned just because of how much of a phenomenon it was. Leona is definitely high on the list, as is T.I. "Whatever U Like" and Katy Perry "I Kissed a Girl".

Worst, I'll take anything by Soulja Boy...

Best
Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love: This is a classic pop record in the same vein as Mariah Carey's Vision of Love.

Worst
Metrostation - Shake It: If you would like to hear Shake It done the right way, track down Shake It Up from The Cars.

K~

There's no doubt about it. Leona Lewis was one of the true stars of the format in 08. "Bleeding Love" was one of my favorite songs last year when it topped the British charts so I have a hard time placing it on my favorites list for this year...but I'll do it anyway ;D
I also gotta admit that "What You Got" by Colby Odonis was another song I couldnt get enough of.
In regards to Lil Wayne, as stupid as "A Millie" is, it's the kind of song that could grow on you after hearing it a few times b/c its so simple.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom