• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Altoona-Johnstown Where Are They Now?

GO BACK AND READ ALL HIS POSTS...ESPECIALLY ABOUT HIS RETURN TO ALTOONA FOR Q 94 AND YOU'LL KNOW FOR SURE ROBERT PUUUFFFER...SEAN MCKAY....FRY MAN .....ALL THE SAME

Is Hawaii really from Hawaii? What is the big station in Hawaii? Do all the stations cover all the islands? I've always wanted to go to Hawaii since the first time I saw Jack Lord standing on the balcony. Tell us more about Hawaii radio.....If you really can.

yes really am. KSSK is the station of choice according to ratings 25/54. Tourists not counted. But Number one is....always has been for last 20 years is KSSK only because of their morning show " Perry and Price" They're not great as far as I am concerned but the locals love em. Perry is an old Univ of
Hawaii coach and Price does a lot of cmmmercials on TV, and they stilol dom theur show live from the Hona Hona room of the Sheraton on the beach.
Kaamaina )locals) love it but the hawlis) non locals go for thr 80's KQMU. Anything else? McKay/fryman is a fraud.....I wqsn't always from here.

OH by the way no station coveres all the islands, unless you county radio Hawaii or public radio.

Mr. All Nite Satelite...contact me off line and I'll let you know who Hawaiiiiiii is. He's not really in H but spends and has spent many vacations there.

sean, actuallly i was in hawaii when posted the last message.i'm back but go back july 21 for a month. actually better than coming from Montana to Altoona twice a year to try and get back in real radio....sniff....sniffff. by the way all night....contact me personally and i'll tell you a few stories about Mckay....sean....fryman....john price. oh forgot i don't have my e-mail listed. i'll change that

Who's asking about these people?

Jerry Allen was my dad. He's dead now. Who's asking and how did you know him?

Sandy Dee-Former manager/jock WCRO?
Don Girard-WVAM, WRTA?
Johnny Rubal-WCRO...selling insurance?
Stan Potopa-WVAM?
"Brillo Head"-WFBG?
Tom Aroney-WCRO?
Jim Wilson-WWBR?
Gary Hagerich-WCRO?
Bob Abernethy-WVAM?
Tom Abernethy-WARD?
Chuck Bloom-engineer for WHGM?
Hap Ritchey-WVAM?
Mike Farrow-WCRO?
Jerry Allen-WCRO, WJAC, WFMJ?
Mike Stevens (Bucki)-WCRO as Charlie Tuna then WJAC?
Lou Maierhoffer-Owner and Liar?
Terry MacAlarney-WFBG?
Jim Douglas-WVAM?
Johnny Foster-WVAM?
Ron Stephenson-WJAC-TV?

Who's asking?

Jerry Allen was my dad. He's dead now. I'm curious to know who's asking about him on this site.

Jerry Allen

Thanks for the reply. First, "Jerry Allen" is a common name so maybe we are talking two different people. The Jerry Allen I knew worked at WCRO, then WJAC in Johnstown, Pa then went over to I believe WFMJ in Youngstown, Ohio where he was PD. I very vividly remember being in the WJAC studio while he was on the air and he was talking about his busy schedule which included an up coming Christening of a newly born child. That would have been about 1970 or 1971. More later.

Jerry Allen

I was asking! He worked at WCRO in Johnstown then was hired away by WJAC. I knew him from WJAC and remember being in the studio while he was on-air on a Friday night probably 1970 or early 1971. He told me he was going to have a busy weekend and one of the things he was going to do was a Christening of his newly born child. Could that have been you???

Later he worked at WFMJ in Youngstown while I worked in a nearby market across the stateline in Pennsylvania. He called me and tried to hire me away from where I was which I did not do. To this day, I regret that decision. He was always great on the air. He did mid-days at WCRO and then evenings at WJAC. I am sorry that you had confirmed he had passed. I had heard rumors to that affect.

Now the big question, with "Jerry Allen" being somewhat of a common name, please reply with the first and last letters of his last real name so that I know we're speaking of the same gentlemen.

To the person who says he's the son of Jerry Allen...

I worked with him at WJAC in Johnstown. At the time, he was doing an evening shift. He came to WJAC from WCRO also in Johnstown where he did middays. I very vividly remember having a few words with him in the WJAC studio, on a Friday night, when he was talking about his busy weekend including the Christening of a new born child! This would have been either in 1970 or 1971. Could that child had been you??? I moved onto other things and eventually ended up between Pittsburgh and Youngstown when he was the PD at WFMJ in Youngstown. He called me up, and offered me a job...an offer which I regretted NOT taking. Jerry Allen was great on the air and a nice guy too. He was definitely major market material. WJAC at the time, was in a transistion mode. They were trying to go after WCRO with a more Top 40 sounding format. Tom Darren...no, "The Great Tom Darren"...was the PD at that time. Tom Darren, ("The Kid") was not only a supervisor but also an educator. I remember that Friday night being in the studio when Tom stopped by to give your father a few voice tips. WJAC was a known stodgy, "country club proper" station prior to the new sound. More than one person had told me to suits and ties at the corporate level were getting increasingly annoyed at the new sound as it did not reflect their "upper crust" mentality. Eventually, everybody left. TD went across the street to WJNL then moved onward and upward to WAPE in Jacksonville, Fl I believe. As I mentioned earlier, your father moved to WFMJ in Youngstown. The new "GM'/"PD" who was brought in was some kid who's ONLY experience was at a college station!

I know this is an old thread and I'm asking on behalf of a former PD of WJET 1400 in Erie from the 1970s, Tom Barney (T. Barney Luv) Tom had also worked in Jamestown, NY at WKSN in the 1960s with a Spence Allen, who from some quick research, had worked at WVAM in Altoona after Jamestown, NY.

Tom has been wondering after 50 years or so, does anyone know what happened to Spence Allen?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom