• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CHR stations that pitch up the music

Which CHRs play the music faster/higher pitch, and do you like that effect?

I noticed Q102/Philly, Kiss 95.7/Hartford, Kiss 96.1/Pittsburgh, and Hot 99.5/DC pitch up. I like a 2-3% pitch increase.

CHR stations are SUPPOSED to pitch up the music AT LEAST 2% or more. Ask any 18-20 something girl and they'll say the song sounds better on Station A (pitches) than Station B (doesn't pitch)

Last time I streamed WFBC they were pitching up the music quite a bit. I like how it sounds. It reminded me of the 70's and early 80's when stations like KTNQ, WCFL and XTRA sped songs up so much they sounded like Mickey Mouse was singing.

I think pitching up music can also have the opposite effect and annoy your listeners. I did it at my last station and we actually got a few complaints. And they were only 2%. Now obviously you can't do it with every song.

Last week, I tuned into WKQI and their sped up songs drove me nuts. Let's also remember listeners have these songs on their I-Pods which they listen to over and over. They may be thinking the sped up version on your station sounds "wrong". I've also heard speeding up songs can affect the production quality and remove certain dynamics. Don't know if that's a myth or just producers not wanting you to mess with their music.

WKQI is very highly rated.... I personally like it.

the last time i checked, Z100 nyc doesn't pitch. they are the gold standard for chr.

bigmax said:
they (Z100) haven't for at least two years - maybe 3.

Why did they stop? Pitched up music sounds good and it's essential to be a good CHR.

OK. Just to play devil's advocate... but is there really a need to pitch up music anymore?

Sure. There's the argument that it makes you sound hotter and more fun. But I think it was Frank who said this: In today's world, your audience has internet radio, instant gratification with MP3 downloads and iPods.

Back in the day, you either listened to the radio, or bought the single or album to hear a song you liked. Today you can download the song and have it in an instant. And I really don't hear people listening to their iPods and muttering "you know, this song just sounds kind of... draggy. I need to pitch this up."

If your competition is still doing it, then sure, your station may sound draggy if you don't pitch up your music. But has pitching up the music become an outdated practice? Or does it still work in today's radio world?

the accepted view (amongst well respected pds) is that pitching is dated, out of touch radio. for the exact reasons you mentioned.

The Truthsayer said:
bigmax said:

Why did they stop? Pitched up music sounds good and it's essential to be a good CHR.

I guess then according to your philosophy Z-100 is not a well programmed station :D

We do a lot to the music besides pitch it up. The processing can make the song sound a bit different too.

I've heard of a station back in the 80's that did 4% (i think) and people would return records/tapes to the music store because they thought it had a defect. LOL.

On the other topic. Why are Z100 and KIIS the best CHRs? Just because they are in the 2 biggest cities?

We do pitch certain songs, like Kardinal Offshore-Danngerous, and PCD-When I grow up... We used to pitch Flo-Rida-LOW back when we played the Remix, but when we switched to the original we stopped,,,,, One song that sounds great pitched is Kanye West-Gold Digger. We dont make Pitching an Everyday practice, but it can help certain Rhythmic Pop songs,,, Anything over 3 percent is too much

I don't see anything wrong with pitching up music. Some songs actually do sound a lot better when pitched 2-3%.

The Truthsayer said:
bigmax said:

Apparently it's NOT essential, because Z100 is agruably the best CHR in the country.

All of this pitch talk is a mute point if you have hardware/software that has key control. Key control allows for pitch adjustment without most listeners ever noticing the difference. Club DJ's have been doing this for years as it makes mixing flawless without ruining the integrity of the vocals. Key control allows you to have the tempo increase you need with the increased pitch but keeps the vocals the "same speed as the original", for lack of a better explanation.

K~

Mid West Clubber said:
We dont make Pitching an Everyday practice, but it can help certain Rhythmic Pop songs,,, Anything over 3 percent is too much
Another song that sounds better pitched up 3% is MIA - Paper Planes

Beejus said:
Back in the day, you either listened to the radio, or bought the single or album to hear a song you liked. Today you can download the song and have it in an instant. And I really don't hear people listening to their iPods and muttering "you know, this song just sounds kind of... draggy. I need to pitch this up."
I sometimes think that when listening to my iPod. I miss the processing and the pitching up. I wish there were a way to have an audio processor on an iPod.

Nick said:
Mid West Clubber said:
We dont make Pitching an Everyday practice, but it can help certain Rhythmic Pop songs,,, Anything over 3 percent is too much
Another song that sounds better pitched up 3% is MIA - Paper Planes

Beejus said:

there is, google a program called "Gold Wave" and you can pitch your music before you put it on your iPod. A station that I thought pitched their music probably more than 4% was WWBX B97 in Bangor, ME. They are unfourtately gone, replaced by sports :mad:, but they got me wanting to pitch my music to because it DOES sound great. Some songs I pitch at 6% (though it doesn't really[/b] sound more different than at 4%, some are at 3). It just depends on the song. Some songs I do regret putting too much pitch on, but oh well.
I sometimes think that when listening to my iPod. I miss the processing and the pitching up. I wish there were a way to have an audio processor on an iPod.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom