• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ANYBODY HAVE ACCESS TO THE OLD MUTUAL NEWS INTRO?

Mutual eventually lost a lot of those stations to UPI audio. I don't if perhaps Mutual started getting pricey around the mid 70s.

kirkiefan said:
DUM-Da-da DUM-Da-da DUM-DUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!
"THIS IS THE MUTUAL BROADCASTING SYSTEM!" (tympani out)

Bwee-Doop! :D

kirkiefan said:

I remember the closing being even shorter. After the DUM-DA-da.....all I recall was the announcer saying:

"Mutual Broadcasting System"

then the tympani out

Cincinnati Kid said:
kirkiefan said:

I remember the closing being even shorter. After the DUM-DA-da.....all I recall the announcer saying was:

"Mutual Broadcasting System"

then the tympani out

Mutual during the 60s was owned by 3M (the MBS logo was in the 60s/70s was similar to the 3M logo)-yet their parent apparently spent very little on the operation of the network.

This is a great thread. The first AM I worked for in suburban Chicago featured Mutual News on the half hour. I worked there in the 70's and the network intro sounder was always cool sounding in my opinion. Even over the old land lines. I remember the IGM automation would run at backtime music cart to 29:50 and fire a local I.D. and the net join would bring in that tone and sounder.

I remember distinctly that Mutal ran a news sounder in the early Fall of 1965 that was actually a sound heard on shortwave. I know this because I got my first job in radio in September of 1965. So that the local news open sounded just like the Mutual news open the engineer cut a disc of this continuious sound and we just rolled it with the pot key off and threw the key over to program to bring it on then faded it under the local newscaster. This sound was what I believe was high speed RTTY as the hams call it. It was a conbination of two tones kicking back and forth and I believe it was teletype send via shortwave anyhow it sounded very good. By December of 1965 Mutual had changed to an actual musical open and never went back to the shortwave sounds.

Can't leave this thred without a Mutual story. In The middle sixties Mutual did everything including most spots live. It appeared that the newscaster sat across from the announcer who opened and closed the newscast and read spots. One night around 1966 Cedric Foster was the newscaster, I forget who was the announcer. Anyway the outcue by the newscaster was supposed to be "this is Cedric Foster Mutual news, stay tuned for all the news" I am guessing but It wasn't much a strech to think that Foster must have leaned back in his chair as he was reading the outcue for what went over the network was " This is Cedric Foster Mutual news, stay tuned for (his voice getting progressively farther from the mike) all the news,,,,,,,,,crash,,,,,,,,,,silence,,,,,then,,,,,,the announcer tryin to stifle his chuckling,,,,,,followed by "this is the Mutual broadcasting System" I wish I had rolled tap on that night

Thats some cool great-big sounders on that youtube but gosh I'd love a nice little Mutual "be-doop".

I have an aircheck from a WALT (Tampa) Top-40 program on 4/23/1967 that contains several Mutual 5-minute news features. I previously provided a copy to a Mutual News collector, so these news clips may already be out there.

I'm glad the 1978-80 :30 sounder is there. Also like hearing the Mutual TOH tone as well.

I ran Larry King overnight in Los Angeles and I aired the 2 sets of Bee Doos and the TOH tone hourly. It wasn't from being lazy, that sequence of tones with a second or two of dead Air was Mutual!

The link to those Mutual sounders is not working? The top of the hour sounder from the early 80s sounded like a Bomb going off with music. Many stations carried Mutual on 3K Dial up quality phone lines.

Great tribute site-though some pages are missing. I'd like to see some NBC-other than Monitor and CBS pre-Westinghouse and pre-Westwood One involvement tribute sites.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom