• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best AAA station

WBIMDJ

Leading Participant
My top 3:

1. 92.5 WXRV "The River" Andover/Boston, MA
2. 104.7 WNCS "The Point" Montpelier/Burlington, VT (also on multiple other freq in the area)
3. 92.7 WMVY Martha's Vineyard, MA

I agree about WXPN. And, as far as a PT AAA station goes, WDIY in Allentown/Bethlehem wins hands down. AAA style music is aired weekdays from 1 to 4 pm. Additional weekend shows, some of which are more alternative/modern rock air as well. PD is Neil Hever. www.wdiy.org

Lee Anderson said:
My top 5...

1, KBCO, Denver

2, WXRV, Boston

3, WWMM, Birmingham

4, KSWD, Los Angeles

5, KXLY, Spokane

Lee, I was one of their biggest fans but I have realized KSWD is NOT really a AAA station!! Compare the amount of classic rock they play with any AAA station. WRXP is also in the same category..not AAA.

Okay,

My top 3 here:

1. WEXT Albany "Exit 97.7":
This radio station is a public radio station run by the WMHT corporation. It is a public radio station, meaning it uses programs from PRI and APM, too. You canfind them at:
www.exit977.org.

2. KSWD "The Sound":
This station is great. I must respectfully disagree with SuperRadioFan on his asessment of the station, and it's constant playing of Classic Rock. You'll see why in a moment.

3. WLKK Buffalo "107.7 The Lake":
This station is a AAA owned by Entercom, serving Buffalo, New York. You can find them at:
www.1077thelake.com.
If you listen to the station, you will find that they have a lot of classic rock in their playlist, but are still a AAA. Just try it, and see what I mean.

And now, a question: Where can I find a Windows Media compatable stream for the new AAA WWMM?

--The Radio Kid
(AKA Oswego Jeremy, as nicknamed by George of the Radio Racket.)
My email: [email protected].

theradiokid said:
And now, a question: Where can I find a Windows Media compatable stream for the new AAA WWMM?

It just seems to have happened in the last week. I was listening last weekend, but when I tried the stream this weekend, nothing. I even tried othe Citidel streams, but it just appears to be them.

In Maryland we have 103.1 WRNR. This station has introduced me to so many cool bands and sent me to a couple of fun shows. They cover the Chesapeake Bay from Baltimore to Cambridge to North Beach. WTMD 89.7 in Baltimore is a nice mellow AAA. On the Eastern Shore we have a relay of Philadelphia's WXPN on 90.5. XPN is almost as good as my favorite, WRNR.

Outside of Maryland, my favorites are The Point FM in Vermont, 103.7 The Mountain in Seattle and KFOG - San Francisco.

My top 3 - 1) WXRT 93.1 - Chicago, IL 2) The Current KCMP 89.3 - Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN 3) KSWD 100.3 - L.A. CA (Improving bit by bit) I just got back from vacationing in Montreal, Canada - but while on vacation I took my rental car across the border into Vermont and tuned into WNCS 104.7 Burlington, VT (I think Dave and Haley NEED to listen to WNCS - I was HOOKED) I lost the signal while listening to Wilco as I was already back into Quebec (Montreal radio wasn't that good, folks - except for a jazz station broadcasting in French) Joe G 8) (p.s. glad to be home in LA)

kevin21403 said:
In Maryland we have 103.1 WRNR. This station has introduced me to so many cool bands and sent me to a couple of fun shows. They cover the Chesapeake Bay from Baltimore to Cambridge to North Beach. WTMD 89.7 in Baltimore is a nice mellow AAA. On the Eastern Shore we have a relay of Philadelphia's WXPN on 90.5. XPN is almost as good as my favorite, WRNR.

Outside of Maryland, my favorites are The Point FM in Vermont, 103.7 The Mountain in Seattle and KFOG - San Francisco.

WRNR would be my #4 right after WXPN.... WHY don't they stream in STEREO??!!

goriajk said:
My top 3 - 1) WXRT 93.1 - Chicago, IL 2) The Current KCMP 89.3 - Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN 3) KSWD 100.3 - L.A. CA (Improving bit by bit) I just got back from vacationing in Montreal, Canada - but while on vacation I took my rental car across the border into Vermont and tuned into WNCS 104.7 Burlington, VT (I think Dave and Haley NEED to listen to WNCS - I was HOOKED) I lost the signal while listening to Wilco as I was already back into Quebec (Montreal radio wasn't that good, folks - except for a jazz station broadcasting in French) Joe G 8) (p.s. glad to be home in LA)

Welcome back, JOE!@! Haley and Dave can listen online to WNCS (I think) but WILL they? Methinks they're too busy deciding which Boston track to debut and what other Bad Company song they can add. ;)

WRNR just started streaming again a few months ago and they promote it a lot. They don't come in good inside the DC beltway and it's spotty around most of Baltimore. They are not a big city radio station and that's what I like about them. It's a shame more radio stations arent as fun to listen to as RNR. The DJ's actually have a personality.

SuperRadioFan said:
goriajk said:

Welcome back, JOE!@! Haley and Dave can listen online to WNCS (I think) but WILL they? Methinks they're too busy deciding which Boston track to debut and what other Bad Company song they can add. ;)

SuperRadioFan,

I listen to "The sound" online all the time, and I don't think they're as bad as you make them out to be. Maybe it's a matter of personal taste, but honestly, I've heard AAA stations that play more classic rock than KSWD does. KSWD is more of a Mellow AAA, in my opinion.

If you think "The Sound" plays too much Classic Rock, you should check out the WLKK station I talked about before. If you don't like "The Sound," then you won't like "The Lake." Listen to them online at: www.1077thelake.com, then you can come back and tell me that "The Sound" plays too much Classic Rock.

--The Radio Kid

theradiokid said:
If you think "The Sound" plays too much Classic Rock, you should check out the WLKK station I talked about before. If you don't like "The Sound," then you won't like "The Lake." Listen to them online at: www.1077thelake.com, then you can come back and tell me that "The Sound" plays too much Classic Rock.

--The Radio Kid

Kid..... I don't need to listen, I just checked a few of the songs they've played [very klunky way of getting info about what songs they have played BTW] So I looked at maybe 25-30 songs.... If you think THIS is "AAA" then you must think KOLA is rap. Seriously, for me they would be unlistenable since I saw zero songs that can be considered AAA, I didn't see any currents in there just gold stuff.

I'll say again to me a really good adult alternative station is KINK-FM or WRNR. Check out those station's playlists and then compare with The Sound's.

My favorites would be:

-KMTT "103.7 The Mountain" Seattle
-KFOG "K Fog" San Francisco
-KPRI San Diego
-WZGC "92-9 Dave FM" Atlanta
-WLKK "107-7 The Lake" Buffalo
-KSWD "100.3 The Sound" Los Angeles

I also really liked 94.7 The Globe in D.C. until they flipped from AAA to classic rock recently. Overall, I don't necessarily judge by music, but I tend to pay most attention to the presentation, sweepers, and the "feel" of the station. That's why I chose the ones I did above. Many of these aren't "groundbreaking" as far as musical playlists go, but they all have a great "vibe" and "feel" to their presentation. Oh, and since someone was talking about WLKK "the Lake" in Buffalo; I discovered them on a recent trip to Niagara Falls and Buffalo and fell in love with them. Sure, they lean towards classic rock a bit, but the presentation is unique and really makes the station sound like no other that I've heard. It's really laid back, and really tied into the area that they serve. You can't truly appreciate the feel of this station by simply looking at the playlist online. I would definitely recommend actually streaming them and listening for an hour or two sometime when you want to chill out and relax.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom