• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CROSSOVER CHR/INSPIRATIONAL SONGS YOU COULD GET AWAY WITH ON A RELIGOUS STATION!

N

nightfly61

I wonder if there is enough out there to fill a whole format like this? I wonder if there's any religous stations out there that throw in a "Classic Hit" now & then? I may have the makings of the nation's first Jacked out religous station!
Eye In The Sky-Alan Parson's Project
Jesus is Just Alright-Doobies
What Is Life-George Harrison
My Sweet Lord-George Harrison
All Those Years Ago-George Harrison
Honestly-stryper
Amazing Grace-Judy Collins/Royal Dragoon Guards
Flood-Jars of Clay
Shine-Collective Soul
Jesus Christ Superstar-Murray Head
Every Heartbeat-Amy Grant
Amen-Impressions
Joy To The World-Three Dog Night
Mountain of Love-Johnny Rivers
Everything Is Beautiful-Ray Stevens
Jesus He Knows Me-Genesis
Dominique-The Singing Nun :D
I highly doubt if Sister CHRISTIAN would cut it ;D
.....can you think of some?

Here's TWO more from the "East" end of things ;):

"Heaven" - Los Lonely Boys
"I Can Only Imagine" - MercyMe (OK, a bit of a STRETCH here...but when this song came out, it DID cross over - I think I remember Z100 even playing it!!)

Andrea
(NATIVE NEW YORKER AND LOVING IT!!)

Gregg Allman: " Soulshine"
Norman Greenbaum " Spirit In The Sky"
Pretty much anything from The Blind Boys of Alabama

... just off the top of my head

andreajesus said:
Here's TWO more from the "East" end of things ;):

"Heaven" - Los Lonely Boys
"I Can Only Imagine" - MercyMe (OK, a bit of a STRETCH here...but when this song came out, it DID cross over - I think I remember Z100 even playing it!!)

Andrea
(NATIVE NEW YORKER AND LOVING IT!!)

It did fairly well for a Christian song. It went top 40 on CHR, Top 30 on Hot AC (I think) and top 10 on AC.

The original versions of My Sweet Lord and Spirit in the Sky probably wouldn't fly. My Sweet Lord wouldn't fly because of mentioning Hare Krishna. Spirit in the Sky has the line "I've never been a sinner, I never sin...", which is theologically incorrect. However, both those songs have been reworked and released as Christian versions by Leon Patillo and DC Talk respectively (Perhaps others as well).

Also, a cover version of Heaven was released by Salvador for Christian radio, that sounds very similar to the original.

I mentioned this in a similar thread in the religious/CCM forum, but Larry Norman had an album called Streams of White Light into Darkened Corners where he spoofed the secular songs that were supposed to have some sort of spiritual message in the early 70's, and say that most of them, at least in their original versions, were made strictly to make a buck for the artists. The album also featured some hilarious segments with Randy Stonehill as a fast talking DJ.

"Do Right"-Paul Davis
"O Happy Day"-Edwin Hawkins Singers
"Ya Mo Be There"-Michael McDonald & James Ingram
"God is Love"-Marvin Gaye
"Holy Holy"-Marvin Gaye

and as much as I hate to admit it.....
"You Light Up My Life"-Debbie Boone
.....in light rotation.

Feel free to look up the lyrics, especially the Marvin Gaye.

Side story.....I worked at a station that suggested we be careful choosing songs going into a Baptist Church service. It seems Simon & Garfunkel's The Boxer was a problem with that "Whores on Seventh Avenue" line.

Kansas : 'The Devil Game'... actually a surprising number of the early Kansas songs had inspirational underpinnings, not surprising that several years later Kerry Livgren left the band when he became 'born again', although I think he may have gotten over it and is back with the band now.

For that matter, how many mainstream artists have turned their backs on 'secular' music only to return when they found that Christian music didn't bring in quite the same amount of coin?

Bob Dylan
The aforementioned Kerry Livgren
Jonny Lang

Others?

anotherguy said:
The original versions of My Sweet Lord and Spirit in the Sky probably wouldn't fly. My Sweet Lord wouldn't fly because of mentioning Hare Krishna.

I doubt My Sweet Lord would fly either. Actually one could say more/less with anything Harrison did for the matter. The reason is because of his connection to the Beatles and with that comes John Lennon's "bigger than Jesus" statement. Yes its been 40+ years since Lennon said that but a lot of people still remember it and many of those still don't like the Beatles or any connection to that band because of it either. Oddly today if someone made a comment like that say for example Hanna Montana ( Mylie Cyrus ) would say to a reporter "...among today's kids I am bigger than Jesus", she just may get away with it and few would say anything about it whereas Lennon back in 1966 could not.

even though Stapp's been in a bunch of trouble, can't forget...
Higher-Creed
One Last Breath-Creed
Loves Me Like a Rock-Paul Simon
(There's Gotta Be) More To Life-Stacy Orrico
Just Between You and Me - D.C Talk
Wondering Where The Lions Are-Bruce Cockburn
Meant To Live-Switchfoot
You Are My Sunshine-Ray Charles
Blessed Are The Believers-Anne Murray
What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
The Lord's Prayer-Sister Janet Mead

I guess the religous crowd wouldn't dig these below then either because, besides the "bigger than Jesus" comment, all the fogies (and people BEFORE they became "saved") listened to SOME Beatles:
All You Need Is Love
Imagine
Give Peace a Chance

I'm surprised with all the political correctness the "Muzak" you hear in the mall or grocery store haven't had the plug pulled because it's ALL offensive to some fanatic!

One more thing I've wondered for years about...
(Other than "Tubular Bells for obveous reasons)...why couldn't instrumentals be played on religous stations? There never were wupposed to be words, so how can they be considered "evil" of "offensive"
I mean the gospel folks could have a little fun every so often & hear "Alley Cat", "Popcorn", "Pink Panther Theme", etc.

Basnya said:
Kansas : 'The Devil Game'... actually a surprising number of the early Kansas songs had inspirational underpinnings, not surprising that several years later Kerry Livgren left the band when he became 'born again', although I think he may have gotten over it and is back with the band now.

For that matter, how many mainstream artists have turned their backs on 'secular' music only to return when they found that Christian music didn't bring in quite the same amount of coin?

Bob Dylan
Jonny Lang

Others?
George Harrison comes to mind again. He was really into Krishna in the 70's, then in '79
"Blow Away"(which can be added to the list) was an inspirational one. Then "All Those years Ago", a tribute to Lennon came out & crossed over, hit #1, then around '88 the "Cloud Nine" album which had some religous stuff like "Devil's Radio", still had a couple regular pop hits, "When We Was Fab" featuring Ringo & Paul, and the big one "Got My Mind Set On You" "It's gonna take plenty o' money...to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it right girl" wasn't your usual George but it sure was refreshing when it came out to hear him making CHR stuff again.

As strong a religous faith as Michael Sweet of Stryper had, he went and took over as lead singer for Boston after Brad Delp commited suicide. It'd be odd to hear him singing "Smokin', smokin', we're cookin' tonight, just keep on tokin'! :D

Anne Murray & other country artists have always bounced back & forth too. Like Boxcar Willie.

<< For that matter, how many mainstream artists have turned their backs on 'secular' music only to return when they found that Christian music didn't bring in quite the same amount of coin?

Bob Dylan
Jonny Lang

Others? >>

Don't forget the original, Little Richard. And the Rev. Al Green. I don't know if Aretha Franklin truly fits the category, but she went back and forth from the secular to the spiritual a few times. Her "Amazing Grace" album is, well...amazing.

I used to do a segment called "Hymn Time" on our local Music of Your Life-type station, and the audience loved the religious songs by Elvis and Johnny Cash, neither of whom led the most wholesome of lives. So I think you could get away with the Beatles numbers.

George Harrison could fill up a few hours of programming:
Within You, Without You from Sgt. Pepper's, The Inner Light (flip of Lady Madonna), My Sweet Lord, What Is Life, You, Life Itself, Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth), Awaiting On You All, It Is He (Jai Sri Krishna). I'm sure there are others.

Never really thought of "Blow Away" and "All Those Years Ago" as being religious/inspirational before. Definitely see it in "Blow Away." Always thought of "Years Ago" being just about Lennon, but there is at least the following line:

They've forgotten all about God, the only reason we exist.

This is a pretty good discussion, and it would make for a pretty good radio station.

Cheers,
Brad Patton
formerly of WNAK-AM
Nanticoke, PA (Northeast PA, outside of Wilkes-Barre)

This is a pretty good discussion, and it would make for a pretty good radio station.

Cheers,
Brad Patton
formerly of WNAK-AM

Thanks...I thought of more...

I Will Be Here For You-Michael W. Smith
Place In This World-M.W.S
Everything Changes-Kathy Tricolli
You've Got a Way-Kathy Triccoli
I Believe- Blessed Union of Souls
...and if Christmas songs counted I'd be at it 'til Christmas.

nightfly61 said:

Cheers,
Brad Patton
formerly of WNAK-AM

Thanks...I thought of more...

Place In This World-M.W.S
Everything Changes-Kathy Tricolli

iirc, BOTH of these songs crossed over to Mainstream AC when they were released... 8)

Andrea

iirc, BOTH of these songs crossed over to Mainstream AC when they were released...

Andrea
Those count too... here's another...
Peace In The Valley-Elvis
I guess you could get away with "God Bless The USA"-Lee Greenwood
(but not Rapture) by Blondie :D

nightfly61 said:
iirc, BOTH of these songs crossed over to Mainstream AC when they were released...

Andrea
Those count too... here's another...
Peace In The Valley-Elvis
I guess you could get away with "God Bless The USA"-Lee Greenwood
(but not Rapture) by Blondie :D

AGREE with you on the Lee Greenwood track (I LOVE IT!! :):))...but as far as "Rapture" goes, EVEN though I LOVE the song, I don't think Ms. Harry was singing about "The Rapture....";)

Andrea

Right now nothing really comes to mind except "Jesus Take The Wheel" by Carrie Underwood or some other country songs that arent' about drinking or "honky tonk badodonk" type songs.

One song that comes to mind that wouldn't work would be "Jesus He Knows Me" by Genesis.

sdh483 said:
Right now nothing really comes to mind except "Jesus Take The Wheel" by Carrie Underwood or some other country songs that arent' about drinking or "honky tonk badodonk" type songs.

One song that comes to mind that wouldn't work would be "Jesus He Knows Me" by Genesis.
Both mentioned above ::) on this 2 page thread.

I used to have the 45, never listened to it, but it was a picture sleeve of Terry Bradshaw with his song "Dimestore Jesus". I wonder if it would have fit. :D
same with "Hallalujah" by "Sweathog :D

nightfly61 said:
sdh483 said:

Both mentioned above ::) on this 2 page thread.

I used to have the 45, never listened to it, but it was a picture sleeve of Terry Bradshaw with his song "Dimestore Jesus". I wonder if it would have fit. :D

Without even hearing the song, I would have to bet that Terry's "Dimestore Jesus" would have fit - Terry has been a Christian for a LONG time and has NEVER been afraid to show his faith, or for that matter, anything else!! :)

Andrea

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom