• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Muzak

gr8oldies said:
Checkied it out and that's not the song I was referring to.

Really? I'm shocked. That song is played everyday on "FM One" and it contains all of the lyrics that you have mentioned.

Oh well, I stand corrected then.

"I Don't Want to Lose Your Love" by The Outfield. Finally, my grocery store plays 80s music that was not on soft rock radio. And they do it while I'm buying soup, which requires a lot of concentration otherwise I end up buying some product I didn't want because it was next to what I did want. Or I mess up buying the right set of soup cans for the coupon. And I had a lot of coupons.

I mention this because the speakers are the loudest around soup. The store lost a lot of sales to me when the wrong song was played as I attempted to buy soup.

It was that subliminal message right after "Jody's on a vacation far away" "Buy name brand....not store brand"/

vchimpanzee said:
"I Don't Want to Lose Your Love" by The Outfield. Finally, my grocery store plays 80s music that was not on soft rock radio. And they do it while I'm buying soup, which requires a lot of concentration otherwise I end up buying some product I didn't want because it was next to what I did want. Or I mess up buying the right set of soup cans for the coupon. And I had a lot of coupons.

I mention this because the speakers are the loudest around soup. The store lost a lot of sales to me when the wrong song was played as I attempted to buy soup.

That may be the most amusing post to date

imhomerjay said:
vchimpanzee said:

That may be the most amusing post to date
Gee, thanks.

So the Christmas music has begun, but fortunately in small doses. The first two songs were the regular top 40-sounding AC, and if they were about Christmas I couldn't tell from the lyrics. But the third song was Contemporary Christian, the most evil form of music. Contemporary Christian Christmas music is the worst of all.

I was so happy to hear ABBA, even with a beat, because somehow a beat doesn't sound nearly as bad when it's music from my generation.

Somewhere along the line they played Johnny Mathis. Really nice.

Oh, by the way, I went to a different grocery hoping to find the towels I had a coupon for. My regular grocery discontinued the exact brand I wanted. Choose-A-Size is evil because I want only one size, not that tiny size that I almost always end up with tearing off a towel from that Choose-A-Size roll. I choose a size--big! Not REAL big, which requires a real effort with Choose-A-Size.

And the other place didn't have them either. What they did have was "I Don't Want to Lose Your Love". What is this, a conspiracy? I just bought a cheap roll. Yes, cheap. Not merely inexpensive. They looked like good quality. A pattern does not guarantee quality.

Outside in front of the other stores, real Muzak was playing. It was nice. I walked up and down the sidewalk.

I don't know what service they're using now, but there was one grocery store that I would go in a lot simply because the instrumental music was so relaxing. I heard Pat Benatar or some such garbage my last time in there. You think I'm going back?

Well, maybe. If I get a coupon for the paper towels I was in there to buy.

Back at my usual grocery store, I kept hearing pounding noises which I assume are called music.

I was actually relieved to hear "Holding Back the Years" by Simply Red when I was getting soup. The vocalist has always annoyed me, but it was at least a relief.

vchimpanzee said:
imhomerjay said:
Always good to pay attention to that which you dismiss out of hand as garbage. What's wrong with the words "Big girls don't cry?"
They are sunbg by someone who I don't care for and the backup instrumentals are terrible.

You think that's bad? A couple of years ago they had a speeded up loop of "Mr Lonely" the old Bobby Vinton song. It was so bad I didn't know if I wanted to laugh or cry!

Where i work they have Muzak. It's an office and just about everyone has a radio on their desk. Why does management think they have to make us all listen to what they decree?

They cut matching funds for our 401K I think they should cut the Muzak subscription too.

It's off topic for this board, but a newspaper article I saw claimed that Muzak no longer does those instrumentals. In fact, the web site says they do, though it's not one of the options under the "now playing" section or whatever they call it. And there's a second instrumental format that's worse, or better, depending on your point of view. Some people would say more violins is worse. But those songs are better quality.

[/quote]

You think that's bad? A couple of years ago they had a speeded up loop of "Mr Lonely" the old Bobby Vinton song. It was so bad I didn't know if I wanted to laugh or cry!
[/quote]

Ewww, I'd almost forgotten about that! That did get some CHR airplay; I remember riding in the car with my daughter when it came on. The speeded up Vinton track and a guy rapping about being Mr. Lonely. Yeccch!!

WDUV in Tampa is incredibly soft most of the time, but they work in Creedence, The Eagles "Sister Golden Hair" , and most surprising---"In the Midnight Hour" by Wilson Pickett.

MsMusicRadio said:
WDUV in Tampa is incredibly soft most of the time, but they work in Creedence, The Eagles "Sister Golden Hair" , and most surprising---"In the Midnight Hour" by Wilson Pickett.
Creedence? Ridiculous. I'm glad those AM stations are competition.

Getting back to the original topic, even if Muzak is not technically radio, I usually go to the grocery on Saturday morning. Now I feel lousy that time of day, but it's especially bad this time of year when I have allergies. I didn't even take anything the night before because it just makes me feel worse to do that. My ear ws stopped up when I woke up, and that has been true most nights lately. There has been a cricket that somehow got in the house keeping me awake. so it was especially bad this past Saturday. But when I walked in the store and heard pounding (I won't dignify it by calling it music), even though the volume isn't as bad as it used to be when advertisers expected to be heard, I almost told them they had to turn it off. I recognized the song as "My Brave Face" by Paul McCartney.

I'm not going to argue about this. This doesn't make the shopping experience pleasant. This just gets on my nerves.

If I'm in a store and hear "My Brave Face" by Paul McCartney, I'll put on "My Happy Face". That is one hot tune that I'll enjoy hearing anytime, anywhere.

The sped up version of "Mr. Lonely" is by Rap/R&B artist Akon. It has some things in common with Twista's R&B/Rap hits.

"98.6", mentioned much earlier on this thread is by KEITH. A one big hit wonder from 1966 or 1967. I can understand how that can be mistaken for a Monkees track. He sounds like a cross between Mickey Dolenz (who sang lead on most Monkees hits) and Davy Jones (who sang lead on "Daydream Believer").
Keith's record was released on Mercury Records, whereas The Monkees were on the RCA distributed Colgems.

gr8oldies said:
At long last I heard my mystery song in "American Pie" during one of the teen sex scenes.

Yep. And if you look at the "American Pie" soundtrack, cut #11 is "Sway" by Bic Runga. I told you that was the song. :)

I heard a newer song that was actually listenable. I can't remember the lyrics now. I should bring along something to write with.

As much as I dislike something as loud as "You Make My Dreams" by Hall and Oates, I have to admit it sure was good to hear it again.

MsMusicRadio said:

I was surprised to hear WDUV play Santana-Evil Ways and Zombies-Time of the Season. These songs were both considered edgy for their time, nothing close to the realm of adult standards, Of course 40 years has a way of taking off the edge. I wonder if they are playing songs like this to protect their younger end (meaning anything younger than nursing home) against Q105?

Jay F said:
MsMusicRadio said:

I was surprised to hear WDUV play Santana-Evil Ways and Zombies-Time of the Season. These songs were both considered edgy for their time, nothing close to the realm of adult standards, Of course 40 years has a way of taking off the edge. I wonder if they are playing songs like this to protect their younger end (meaning anything younger than nursing home) against Q105?
How did we get this far off topic?

I sure feel sorry for the people of the Tampa area. They don't have any radio worth listening to, and this station is so popular no one will bother trying to compete. The station that did is doing something else now.

Getting back to the original topic, I was in a grocery store that was not my usual one, since my usual store didn't have a particular product. I called the 800 number and was told my store had it, but since that had not been selling it, I went to the other. I can't remember the other song, but it had a beat it didn't need, meaning it was like a dance remix. Songs have to be remixed these days or whatever you want to call it, which makes them even more annoying.

One song I did recognize was "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley. If that was my store, they've be hearing from me each time I walked in. They'd probably have to turn the music off because shopping takes a lot of concentration, especially with coupons. I don't know the other store's music provider.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom