• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Muzak

I'm not sure what their standard business format sounds like these days. A few years ago my grocery store had what I believe ws a format distributed to businesses. The last time I complained about the music at my grocery store, they said it was a custom program from Muzak. I have to admit, there's some good stuff on there that I don't think soft rock radio is doing. The Carpenters and some of the really soft vocal groups of the 60s that sang like The Association. What I have a problem with is their trying to include some of the loud stuff from today.

And at least they don't play Pat Benatar and Prince. How did those two end up becoming standard on "soft" rock radio?

I was told by someone at Muzak that I could always ask them to turn the Muzak down. I used to have to do that and it got on my nerves and their nerves. But in those days, they ran advertising that they expected to be heard. They don't any more, and I think they've found a good compromise, if that loud new stuff could go.

vchimpanzee said:
I'm not sure what their standard business format sounds like these days. A few years ago my grocery store had what I believe ws a format distributed to businesses. The last time I complained about the music at my grocery store, they said it was a custom program from Muzak. I have to admit, there's some good stuff on there that I don't think soft rock radio is doing. The Carpenters and some of the really soft vocal groups of the 60s that sang like The Association. What I have a problem with is their trying to include some of the loud stuff from today.

And at least they don't play Pat Benatar and Prince. How did those two end up becoming standard on "soft" rock radio?
I was told by someone at Muzak that I could always ask them to turn the Muzak down. I used to have to do that and it got on my nerves and their nerves. But in those days, they ran advertising that they expected to be heard. They don't any more, and I think they've found a good compromise, if that loud new stuff could go.
Add John Mellencamp to that list. Our local AC claims to be "family friendly," yet plays these folks? ::) :eek:

firepoint525 said:
vchimpanzee said:
Add John Mellencamp to that list. Our local AC claims to be "family friendly," yet plays these folks? ::)

OK, Prince might be a bit of a stretch for Muzak (or AC for that matter), but what's "family unfriendly" about John Mellencamp or Pat Benatar? They're both pretty safe acts. It's not like AC music is the Carpenters or Neil Diamond anymore.

Oldbones said:
firepoint525 said:
vchimpanzee said:
Add John Mellencamp to that list. Our local AC claims to be "family friendly," yet plays these folks? ::)

OK, Prince might be a bit of a stretch for Muzak (or AC for that matter), but what's "family unfriendly" about John Mellencamp or Pat Benatar? They're both pretty safe acts. It's not like AC music is the Carpenters or Neil Diamond anymore.
On Muzak in some stores I go to, yes it is.

My newspaper described the differences between various adult contemporary radio stations back when "Jack and Diane" was popular. The most conservative AC at the time probably didn't play it, and I don't recall the station being mentioned in the article. but another station wouldn't play it because of the lyrics. I thought the conservative stations wouldn't have played it because it was too loud, and in fact that's part of what defines what is appropriate in offices. Some of this music, regardless of how family-friendly, is too loud. "Contermporary Christian" is a mutant form that has gotten into the system like a virus.

Getting back to John Mellencamp, "Hurts So Good" showed up on the so-called "Lite" station a few years back. That sounds like it's about S & M. Definitely not family-friendly.

And Pat Benatar is just loud.

vchimpanzee said:
Oldbones said:
firepoint525 said:
vchimpanzee said:
Add John Mellencamp to that list.  Our local AC claims to be "family friendly," yet plays these folks?  ::)

OK, Prince might be a bit of a stretch for Muzak (or AC for that matter), but what's "family unfriendly" about John Mellencamp or Pat Benatar?  They're both pretty safe acts.  It's not like AC music is the Carpenters or Neil Diamond anymore. 
On Muzak in some stores I go to, yes it is.

My newspaper described the differences between various adult contemporary radio stations back when "Jack and Diane" was popular. The most conservative AC at the time probably didn't play it, and I don't recall the station being mentioned in the article. but another station wouldn't play it because of the lyrics. I thought the conservative stations wouldn't have played it because it was too loud, and in fact that's part of what defines what is appropriate in offices. Some of this music, regardless of how family-friendly, is too loud. "Contermporary Christian" is a mutant form that has gotten into the system like a virus.

Getting back to John Mellencamp, "Hurts So Good" showed up on the so-called "Lite" station a few years back. That sounds like it's about S & M. Definitely not family-friendly.

And Pat Benatar is just loud.
As for your first comment that I highlighted, I was in an office not too long ago that had Mix 92.9, the local AC, playing.  No big deal, but when "Hurts So Good" came on, it almost seemed like everyone there should have started dancing and partying!  ;D 8)

As for your second comment that I highlighted, check out the video for "Hurts So Good."  It's probably on youtube or some other similar video channel. 

Benatar is okay, but I would probably only play "We Belong" on AC stations.

Muzak, like DMX, it's brother from another mother, doesn't have many, if any, generic channels anymore. Everything is developed for each client and their needs. They call these people audio architects and they will customize a set of tunes down to the daypart, the theme, the whatever. So, it's what will fit the client's need and the standard descriptions of formats no longer apply.

Bill Harmonic said:
Muzak, like DMX, it's brother from another mother, doesn't have many, if any, generic channels anymore. Everything is developed for each client and their needs. They call these people audio architects and they will customize a set of tunes down to the daypart, the theme, the whatever. So, it's what will fit the client's need and the standard descriptions of formats no longer apply.
Nevertheless, what I'm hearing in the grocery is what should be in offices.

Even if it's radio. The Carpenters and The Association may be a little much, but they sure make me happy. I haven't listened closely enough to the new junk to know what songs are being played, but one had the words "Big Girls Don't Cry".

My workplace pipes in Muzak all day long, it's apparently "Foreground 1" as there are many subchannels. We have a workforce ranging in age from their 20s through their 60s, and it tends to play music from the 60s through the present. Onething this channel does is beat several non-hits/unrecognizables to death, such as a song apparently called "Say You'll Stay" by an artist named Kia which never got any radio play but is a staple of this format.

I don't know what the circumstances are, but in the 90s when I asked, I was told the music at a mall I go to was from Muzak. That implies their sound system is from Muzak, which further implies that they should use a Muzak format.

I haven't gone to this mall much since they got rid of the Muzak format most people think of (the instrumental one), although the reason was that I enjoyed walking outside more and there were so many nice places to walk. But there was no way I was listening to Hot AC, which is what they did. Soft AC is bad enough.

A couple of weeks ago, I didn't realize it was supposed to rain as much as it did, and just in case the rain lasted all day, I went to the mall. The rain let up about 1:00. This was at least the second time I had gone in this mall and heard one of the local soft rock radio stations.

At the time, they were counting down the top songs of 1995. Obviously not the top CHR songs, because they were relatively soft. This was how it should be! This same station does some pretty outrageous stuff, like "Rock Me Amadeus". Not while people are at work, I hope, but I have heard that song. The other soft rock station, at the time of day I was in the mall, has done "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood and "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi as part of a gold show. I don't know whether they still do that same type of show.

This discussion is making me laugh.

The plain and simple fact is... everyone's idea of what is appropriate for what environment is subjective. If I played some of what was suggested (The Carpenters and The Association??!!!???) on my radio station I'd have listeners ready to throw themselves against a wall.

Just accept the fact that what YOU like is not what, perhaps, a well-researched radio station (or format, for the purposes of Muzak), has found it's particular audience would like... Adult Contemporary does not mean "soft" exclusively... it means popular, CONTEMPORARY music for adults, mostly women, 25-49, with the focus on women in their mid-40s.... who graduated in the mid 80s... who for the most part, listened to top 40 radio back then... and still like those naughty Prince songs and that evil John Mellencamp... .that was the music these women grew up with... it's only natural that a radio station would be playing them today... along with Matchbox Twenty, Plain White T's, and other thoroughly modern "soft pop" tunes.

Pretty much all of the artists mentioned in this thread get played on Muzak, it just depends on which station. In my office, we cycle through different Muzak stations every few weeks (my favorites are "Jukebox Gold" and "Mo' Soul") but yes, Prince is played on "'80s Hits" most notably "When Doves Cry" and "I Wanna Be Your Lover." '80s also played Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus" and really surprised me this morning when I heard Madonna's "Like A Virgin."

And to "gr8oldies" who mentioned the "say you'll stay" song, which seems like it plays constantly on "FM1", it is actually called "Sway" and it is by Bic Runga.

I love FM1. :-*
It is actually a unique format. It is not typical adult contemporary, because they will often play songs that are considered adult alternative or jazz. For example you have stuff like Blue October, and I've heard "calling you" and "congradulations" on FM1. Also you'll hear Peter & Bjorn's "Young Folks". And 3 hits by Ivy, "Edge of the Ocean", "Ocean City Girl", and "Keep Moving". And then you have Basia, and not just the popular hit "Cruising for Bruising" but "Promises" and "New Day For You".
Also mixed in are oldies (AC stations stopped playing oldies mostly) like Elvis "Return to Sender".
I never get bored listening to FM1. I used to be able to listen to it on a subcarrier radio, back when Muzak had subcarriers on 101.9 here in NY, 67Khz was for Environmental and 92Khz was for FM1. But they discontinued the subcarriers and use satellite dishes. They look like the large Direct TV dishes but are mainted white with a black M in a circle.
Unfortunately there is no way to tap into those feeds. Well...there was, with an FTA reciever you used to be able to recieve all of the muzak channels off of echostar, but then Dish scrambled them. A good deal of these channels are avail with Dish network, except for FM1 and Environmental, if it wasn't for that I'd be using Dish!
Muzak used to use FM squared for satellite, but I think these had big dishes, now they use Ku-band recievers. The older ones were "prism" models, these days they use encompass LE recievers.
I've searched high and low for a format like FM1. The Music Choice's "Lite Hits" station I get on my local cable does play alot of old material, but they do not play the deeper cuts and AA that muzak does. It gets very repititous too. As far as Sirius and XM go, they dont have anything that comes close. Same goes for internet radio, I've tried them all, AOL, Slacker, etc and get tired of them pretty fast.
Their mix stations are your typical AC fare. I like hearing unfamiliar songs..after all its the only way to find out about new music or obscure songs you missed.
There's a reason FM1 is muzak's most popular channel. It is programmed to appeal to most people, unlike the narrowcasting radio does. However I think someone should try a format like this on radio.
And this isn't even getting into muzak's other unique channels. But you can find a playlist on muzak's website that is updated in real time.
Here's the current FM1 playlist. It's the perfect mix of oldies, soft pop, and adult alternative. I've been in love with FM1 since it was introduced in the mid 80s.

Commodores - Easy
Jason Spooner - Black And Blue
Sting - If You Love Somebody Set Them Free
Goldspot - Float On
Amy Grant - Baby, Baby
David Gray - You're The World To Me
Style Council - You're The Best Thing (Single version)
Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way
Mamas And The Papas - Monday, Monday
Nicole Atkins - Cool Enough
Steely Dan - Peg

vchimpanzee said:
Nevertheless, what I'm hearing in the grocery is what should be in offices.

Depends on the office, no? Luckily the office environments I've been in have been condusive to either headphone listening or quiet use of computer speakers. But if you're saying a really soft-leaning AC format should be the only thing in offices, I--and many other office dwellers--would say no way. Snooze-inducing music might actually be worse than nonr sy sll.

vchimpanzee said:
Even if it's radio. The Carpenters and The Association may be a little much, but they sure make me happy.

And they have much the opposite effect on a number of other folks.

vchimpanzee said:
I haven't listened closely enough to the new junk to know what songs are being played, but one had the words "Big Girls Don't Cry".

Always good to pay attention to that which you dismiss out of hand as garbage. What's wrong with the words "Big girls don't cry?"

Islanddxer--

Izzat you MuzakFan? ;o)

Ya, FM1 is one of my favourites too. That and Expressions.

Actually there *is* still a way to receive Muzak's DBS broadcast via an FTA box; but it involves re-flashing the firmware in your box and installing a (usually hacked) firmware that allows for a descrambler programme to be loaded; in this case it's for Nagravision 2. Believe me when I say it's definately not a task that a newbie would want to take on because it usually involves reprogramming the receiver's entire API and if something goes wrong, it could end up taking down your entire machine altogether......leaving you with little more than a nonfunctioning box to set your stereo speaker on. ;o)

I mean, I'm fairly knowledgable about sat boxes (I try to be, anyways) and even I tend to shy away from doing that if I possibly can. Really, it's way easier to just do it on a Linux or even Win98 PC with a satellite receiver/DVB card and a receiver programme. Yeah yeah, that kind of stuff may be illegal in some places (here) but the way I look at it is, that's in terms of business. Not necessarily for your personal listening at home. I see it as a matter of, "if you don't want me to receive, decode and listen to your signal in my apartment, then keep it off my balcony."

(Ya, I know, it's really kind of a gray area. The RIAA hates that kind of stuff. Oh well.)

Unfortunately Muzak shut down its SCA broadcast here in Portland in the mid-90s, so I missed that by at least a few years. (I got my first SCA radio when I was in a junior in high school, circa 2001.) DMX's "Classic Hit Blend" programme (also a Nagravision channel via Galaxy--imagine that!) is a reasonable substitute, more oldies-driven but it's not FM1. As far as I think, there is only one FM1, and I like to believe that's why Muzak named it as such. ;o)

"They [Muzak's current breed of satellite areials] look like the large Direct TV dishes but are mainted white with a black M in a circle."

Some time ago I repainted my old Primestar dish that I've had for several years, off-white with the old-skool ('70s-late '80s) black rectangular "MUZAK" logo right in the middle.......really for instant gratification more than anything else..... ;o)

"Muzak used to use FM squared for satellite, but I think these had big dishes, now they use Ku-band recievers. The older ones were "prism" models, these days they use encompass LE recievers."

Ages ago (late 1970s, some time before I was born) they used to use C-band subcarriers for transmission---yes, the proverbial "big ugly dish". I still see a few of those around town, mostly on older buildings. I imagine they have mostly (if not all) either been upgraded with an LNB capable of receiving digital DVB broadcasts or been re-purposed to receive satellite TV signals from different birds. I believe Muzak started using Ku-band sometime in the 80s.

Ivy - Keep It Movin'
Bic Runga - Sway
Style Council - My Ever Changing Moods
The Monkees - 98.6
Gotan Project - Queremos Pas
(yes, I have heard that on FM1 a few times)
David Gray - Caroline
Sting - Love Is The Seventh Wave
Swing Out Sister - Notgonnachange
Mason Williams - Classical Gasoline
Barbra Streisand - Woman In Love
Dave Matthews - Dodo

(that isn't the playlist from Muzak's webpage, just some of my favourites from FM1 that rarely, if ever, seem to get played on Portland radio. Noblesse oblige.)

--MotoFox, resident Muzak junkie

Last time I heard the Carpenters on the radio was on the "big band/easy listening/music of your life" station here in Nashville, the same station that usually plays Frank Sinatra, et al.

As for the AC station here (Mix 92.9), they play "1999" by Prince, and "Get Down Tonight" by KC & the Sunshine Band, but interestingly enough, don't play anything else by either of these two artists! ???

imhomerjay said:
Always good to pay attention to that which you dismiss out of hand as garbage. What's wrong with the words "Big girls don't cry?"
They are sunbg by someone who I don't care for and the backup instrumentals are terrible.

I'll take your work on the song I was referring to earlier as being "Sway" by Ric Bunga...again its a femaile singer and tghe lyric line is "Say You'll Stay..don't come undone".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom