• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Urban AC in Denver?

oldschool92 said:
Could Denver support a true Urban A/C format. ( that supports the black community?)

Since Denver is only 5% black I would say no.

It might be a good format for one of the rimshot signals.

I live in Houston now, where the urban radio choices are plentiful. I loved my 6 years in Denver, but the lack of urban radio forced me to XM Satellite radio. As much as I hate to say it, Denver will never see a REAL Urban AC as long as the corporate folk who run Denver radio have anything to say about it. The best you'll see is some half-baked effort with another Jammin, Party or Mega version. Another but unlikely option is a Black-owned radio group doing it with a cluster of stations including UAC, Gospel, and Hip-hop. A one stop urban outlet if you will. One model that might work in Denver though, is a station modeled after KMJC-FM 89.3 located in Des Moines, Iowa –yes Des Moines, a city with even smaller Black demographic than Denver. KMJC is a non-for profit station that features programming found on some for-profit urban radio stations like ABC Networks’ “The Touch” UAC satellite programming, The Ride with Doug (Banks) and DeDe in the afternoon also from ABC, as well as and nationally syndicated Tom Joyner Morning Show, and Bev Smith talk show at night. Imagine that - Des Moines with a real, listerner supported UAC.

http://kjmcfm.org/index2.html

Hi everyone:
Jay F said:
oldschool92 said:
Could Denver support a true Urban A/C format. ( that supports the black community?)

That said though Jay, this would be prime for 101.5 or (Since 101.5 just recently flipped from Adult Standards to AAA) 105.5 (Which is still a miserable failure).

Both stations are locally-owned (Albeit by corporations) 101.5 (DRG) and 105.5 (NRC), but if programmed right (ala the way the old AM 1510 KDKO was back in the 1980s), there's no reason to believe that a true Urban AC wouldn't fly in Denver DESPITE the low percentage of black people as Denver's Hispanic community could pick easily up the slack and make up the difference

What do you mean when you say that MEXICANS don't listen to Urban ACs? Man, if you believe that, you need to WAKE UP & SMELL THE FREAKIN' STARBUCKS 'CAUSE ITS BURNIN'!!.

Just my $.02 worth....

Cheers :D

Jay F said:
oldschool92 said:

It's almost like not having a nice ethnic restaurant because the area doesn’t have ethnicity – Damn shame.

If you listen to the Denver dial now, you hear a lot of rap music (107.5, 95.7, and 107.1) – music that’s targeting whoever will listen. I guess the best hope we have for an Urban AC format is to wait for the kids who listen to these stations to grow up, although Urban AC will sound a lot different in 10 years. Too bad, Denver.

Pat, English dominant Hispanics will not listen in large numbers to an Urban AC that serves the black community. However,they will listen to a Jammin' oldies type station such as XHRM/San Diego or KMGV/Fresno.

I think it could. Add the numbers...between Denver and Aurora alone there's between 90-100k Black people in the area and that's not counting the other suburbs. And like the previous post said, the Hispanics and the Whites that like that format would easily take up slack for the Black who wouldn't support it. That's enough to support an Urban AC format. In my opinion, it's all about the music they play (no repeated mess), the radio personalities (actually have DJ's that know and like the music), and the signal...no AM (1510 KDKO), or weak signal (U102). It should also appeal to a wide variety of age groups. Not just focus on young or old, but play a mix for both (hip hop during days and quiet storms at night) and have gospel music, jazz, oldies, talk shows, etc on sundays...basically a station that covers a variety of genres of Urban music, not just hip-hop or old school r&b. Have it all wrapped up in one station and I think it would last in Denver.

ishyaboy said:
I think it could. Add the numbers...between Denver and Aurora alone there's between 90-100k Black people in the area and that's not counting the other suburbs. And like the previous post said, the Hispanics and the Whites that like that format would easily take up slack for the Black who wouldn't support it. That's enough to support an Urban AC format. In my opinion, it's all about the music they play (no repeated mess), the radio personalities (actually have DJ's that know and like the music), and the signal...no AM (1510 KDKO), or weak signal (U102). It should also appeal to a wide variety of age groups. Not just focus on young or old, but play a mix for both (hip hop during days and quiet storms at night) and have gospel music, jazz, oldies, talk shows, etc on sundays...basically a station that covers a variety of genres of Urban music, not just hip-hop or old school r&b. Have it all wrapped up in one station and I think it would last in Denver.

Like someone already stated, Denver only has a 5.2% black population. That is probably why no one is yet doing a black-targeted station. However, I will say that 5.2% is probably based on the 2000 census. When the 2010 census comes out showing a larger share, I'm sure someone will wake up.

In some markets here in California some broadcasters are getting a jump start on launching Hispanic-targeted stations in markets not known to be Hispanic markets -- up north in Redding, etc. It is paying off in the ratings already, and when the 2010 census comes out showing much larger Hispanic populations those stations are going to be flipped for big cash. Or, other owners will start launching formats targeting that community as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom