• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Downtown HD radio reception

jlt_03

Inactive
Inactive User
I work downtown and have a lot of trouble receiving HD signals on every station except for 95.7, 104.9 and 102.9. The receiver will not even detect KTBZ's HD carrier.....any tips on what I can do to get the HD signal to work?

Glad I am not the only one :-X but your best bet would be put the dipole antenna by a window. The towers are 15miles from downtown. This is why I do not think radio will ever become full HD like TV is. I can pull in the call signs out at Lavaca county from HD Radio, but no more. My dipole is setup by my window upstairs. I have my outdoor pointed towards Victoria to DX Corpus. Most of the time HD doesn't come in for me...

I'm not near a window :( I am on the 2nd floor at the south end of downtown...nothing is really blocking me between teh tower farm other than the rest of this building and 2026 Main or whatever those apartments are. I've tried the wire antenna which was included with the tuner and an amplified indoor antenna, and I can't get more than calls on most of the Mo City signals....some will lock occasionally, but not reliably. Maybe I'll try a dipole in my cubicle, though....not sure if it's any better than an amplified indoor antenna...

jlt_03,

I had a similar problem and discovered that a good quality set of rabbit-ears made the difference. Yep...rabbit-ears. They don't look so cool in my office cubicle nor in my bedroom, but they do the trick and pull in the HD signals.

Good luck.

pepe

I'm on the 15th floor on Fannin (south side of downtown). I can receive all of the Missouri City HDs although some give me trouble. KHTC-HD blows the doors off for some reason. I can also occasionally receive KHPT-HD.

I have an Accurian and using the included wire antenna.

StevenNOLA said:
I'm on the 15th floor on Fannin (south side of downtown). I can receive all of the Missouri City HDs although some give me trouble. KHTC-HD blows the doors off for some reason. I can also occasionally receive KHPT-HD.

I have an Accurian and using the included wire antenna.

Hmm. I'm thinking that it would work out better if I were up as high as you are...like I said, I'm only on the second floor at Main and Jefferson. I've tried the included wire antenna and the amplified rabbit ears - both rendering similar results. I guess I'm just out of luck....don't know what else to try. Just seems incorrect that I'm 10 miles from the towers and can't make it work, lol.

REMEMBER, 107.5 is NOT in MoCity but near Chocolate Bayou.....a bit SOUTH of the Houston antenna farm.

I'm disappointed in the HD coverage. I mean if I can get the stations in a good clean FM Stereo analog, than I should be able to pick up the HD Signal but nope.
Don't feel bad, my place here near Austin, I have a hard time picking up KUT's HD Signal. When KVRT skips up this direction, there goes KUT's HD signal.

Lavaca County isn't anywhere near Austin. You're not supposed to recieve HD.

ilistentotheradio said:
Lavaca County isn't anywhere near Austin. You're not supposed to recieve HD.
I also have a place about 30 miles from Austin.

StevenNOLA said:
CW said:
REMEMBER, 107.5 is NOT in MoCity but near Chocolate Bayou.....a bit SOUTH of the Houston antenna farm.

I know...it's further away and is more reliable.... ??? *shrugs*

Not in my building :-\ not even getting RDS on 107.5...this thing must be made out of 18 inch concrete walls or something, lol.

StevenNOLA said:
CW said:

I know...it's further away and is more reliable.... ??? *shrugs*

Depends on your location....remember an antenna radiates like a doughnut or an umbrellla....its meant to put most signal at the horizon...get in close and you are in a NULL.....thus in this case farther is better!!! Plus some antennas use beam tilt to put more signal below the horizon.....Im not sure what 107.5 uses but I know Sr Road is using a Harris/Dielectric CBR....depending on your location you could be in a null for Sr Road but be in a big lobe (IE MAX signal) for 107.5!

I think the biggest problem with HD reception (and rimshot reception) downtown is 102.9. I'm not sure what's wrong with that station, but something IS wrong.

When Jack is off the air, you get 102.9 on 103.7 on any radio.

If you can get 95.7 in HD from your location, you should also be able to get all the Senior Road HD signals. In my own experience, that's not the case though. HD reception gets more problematic for me the closer I get to the 102.9 tower. Of course, it's close to downtown.

Radioman100 said:
I think the biggest problem with HD reception (and rimshot reception) downtown is 102.9.  I'm not sure what's wrong with that station, but something IS wrong.

When Jack is off the air, you get 102.9 on 103.7 on any radio. 
I've never had that happen to me. I usually get static everytime I catch Jack off the air. No KLTN. And this is about 3 miles from the Xmitter (South of Downtown, Fannin). But then again, I do remember that KLTN (pre-digital) used to bleed down to 102.5 even at about 7 miles away from the Xmitter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom