• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How could we get Rock 101 back?

vanpudin said:
If u live east of a Baytown, Mont Belview, to Dayton line u could pick up KIOC Big Dog 106 in Beaumont(106.1). They mix it up from classic rock, to alternative rock, to even metal such as Pantera or Megadeth once in a while. Not bad for a clear channel station. when i used to live in baytown i used to pick it up good most of time. 3 - 5 years ago i went to Dog Jam (Like Buzzfest) in beaumont. The lineup included Sevendust, 3 doors down, Shinedown, Seether, and others. Most of their dog jams suck now in comparison. Sorry to get off topic.
If their transmitter was taller like most of the Houston towers in Missouri city, i bet their signal would be even be strong enough to listen to good a few miles east of the beltway. I believe the tower of Kioc 106.1 is just over 1000' tall, one of the tallest of the fm's in Beaumont. If i'm not mistaken some of the Missouri city towers reach near 2000'.

KIOC is on KBTV-4's tower in Vidor (has been since it signed on back in the 1970s) closest in height and location is 97.5's original tower now used by 94.5 at 750ft.......it LOST its chance to keep its Class C status and has been downgraded to a C0 because of an app in Alexandria LA on 106.1; Cheap Channel showed how cheap they are again since they OWN a 2000ft tower in Devers (where 100.7 and 93.3 still reside though the tower was built for 98.5 when it was owned by CC)....and I heard through the grapevine 104.5 is moving to the 106.1 antenna as well (DAMN well bloody time....CC should have done that YEARS ago)...However, 93.3, 97.5, 98.5 and 107.9 are licensed to Port Arthur and Beaumont and THEY are the tallest FM towers for those cities....(of course 103.7 is out there as well but its licensed to LaPorte....gotta love rimshots)...The tallest tower in the BPT area is either 4s or Trinity's 34 tower....BUT just to the east sits a 1300+ ft which was built for 96.1 out of Lake Charles (and is no longer on there as it had to downgrade after being bought by Cumulus.....KVHP FOX 29 is on the tower now and THEY dont own it)...There WAS FAA clearance for a 2000ft tower north of I 10 in Vidor a couple of years ago for CUMULUS...but it was and will likely never be built....pity.........the TV and KIOC could have used it...oh well.

Remember, the North and East rimshots (93.3, 97.1, 97.5, 98.5, 100.7, 103.7 and 107.9) are 2000ft towers and they dont have great coverage over most of Houston either.......KIOC has help from enhanced propogation and the antenna is at the right spot to duct it right into Houston....with the 2000ft rimshots, the enhancement actually causes the signal to skip OVER Houston......

Re: How could we get Rock 101 back?

Man, that is such an easy question, and the answer is so simple. Come up with $100M+, buy KLOL, and play whatever you want. It is for sale after all. You can even hire me, and Outlaw Dave, and S&P and Donna Mackensie. That's whole airstaff of KLOL veterans!! WOW!!! Just think of it. Your very own 100Kw Ipod. But remember we're all gonna need no-cut, seven figure contracts. So, get your checkbook ready. Unless you're a Saudi oil baron, you'll be broke in a month! I could be wrong though. After all, you've done the research. How else could you so confidently speak for "lots of Houstonians"? Anyway, have your people call me people.
Ciao!! Kiss! Kiss!

I took a few moments to introspect CSJ's comments. I thumbed through the faded ticket stubs, tapes and pictures from the 80's and early 90's. I even have my Rock and Roll Army Card which was really cool. There was persona, new music, concerts, artist interaction and a dynamic that engaged the audience. There seems to be a great misunderstanding in that many think the "Houston's Classic" period was in any way related to great radio. There was a lot of great talent but the industry was positioning itself for new business practices. This started the push against the art of personality and the pull toward the culture of the commune. When you hear folks ask questions such as the topic of this thread, they are asking for a radio renaissance not a replication of bad radio. Cumulus learned this the hard way.
Quite simply, radio is not at all interested.

CSJ's comments were sharp but honest and clear. It's way past time to move on.

Kendromedia said:
snip

CSJ's comments were sharp but honest and clear. It's way past time to move on.

You got that right. From my perspective (a 55 year old white guy who started when he was 15) I too go through my nostalgic periods, but having a family (and all of the financial responsibilities that come with it) sober me up pretty quickly. It's fun to dream, and spend a few minutes in the past, but the past isn't coming back, and chances are it was really never as good as we think it was. That was then, this is now, and as another poster said, get over it and move on. Things happen for a reason-we don't know what the reason is at the time it happens, but that's part of growing up and learning life's lessons. Enjoy the past, but don't live in it.

Texas Tuner (rant mode now off-time to go to work!)

Fieldtech1 said:
CW have you noticed the app KNGT 99.5 has to move to a 1500' tower smack dab between BMT and LCH ......Does BMT really need another country station?????

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-service-area?x=FM1149025.html

Gawd no!!! and there is no 1500ft tower where they have applied for!! (thats right smack in the middle of the marsh land out there!)...the only 1500ft tower that would work is NORTH of I10 (29's tower and originally built for 96.1, since downgraded back to their original 500ft tower in Sulphur) unless they intend to build a new one...out there?!? Are they NUTS??? I knew Gator had been looking to upgrade but hadnt kept up with them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom