• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LOUISIANA WATER PARK WON'T TRADE WITH BLACK RADIO

N

nocajunmoon

BLUE BAYOU WATER PARK
DIXIE LANDING AMUSEMENT PARK IN BATON ROUGE.

IF YOU'RE BLACK, WE'LL TAKE YOUR
MONEY, BUT YOUR NOT INVITED..

Dear Colleagues,

On Tuesday, May 14, 2008, I was told
by Liz Harrison, Marketing DIrector
of Blue Bayou Water Park and Dixie
Landing Amusement Park, that they
have no plans to continue their
long-term practice with KBZE 105.9FM,
of trading 100 or more admission tickets
to the parks, in exchange for double
that value in radio advertising.

Liz Harrison said that their summer concert
series has country and pop artists, so their
radio concern will be for these formats.

"We have no interest in an African-American
audience," she said.

I replied to her, "Do you realize that is blatant
racial discrimination?"

She replied, "You call it what you will, I call
it free enterprise."

I am asking that all African Americans who listen
to either of my radio stations, call and voice
their opinion to Ms. Harrison. The number
at Blue Bayou is 1-225-753-3333.

Her e-mail address is: [email protected].

As a side note, we have confirmed that
Blue Bayou also does not do business
with any Black Radio in Baton Rouge,
or the African-American owned Louisiana Weekly,
the state's oldest weekly newspaper, and one of
this country's oldest African American owned
news publications.

Should any of you have further questions on this,
please do not hestiate to call me at 985-312-2154,
or e-mail me at [email protected].

It's time we bring issues like this infront of the
public.

WE ALL LOVE OUR CHILDREN. BUT WE
ALL WORK HARD FOR OUR MONEY AS WELL.

Sincerely,

Howard J. Castay, Jr.
President & General Manger
KBZE 105.9FM
and KFRA 1390AM

Howard.. Thanks for showing us some 'narrow minded-short sightedness' that still exists (somehow) in this day and age.. My suggestion is the following.. She can reason away any excuse to deny a trade (right or wrong, ethically) on the basis of reach, demographic and income.. Marketplace... That's her "Check" in the Chess game.... BUT, you can do something positive and with results by taking the upper road... SMILE, TAKE A BIG BREATH and then GET BOLD! Have your listeners 'boycott' the theme park.. Hit 'em in the pocket book and they will see the spendable income that you audience has and will miss it at the gate... TWO, send an editorial to the paper discussing the issue in a informational and factual way... Then challenge your competitors (of all formats and reach) to stand up to this situation that smells of 'degrading' your loyal audience! Let their 'public interest' be heard or they 'too' will look like they only take the for profit side of their licenses seriously (TV, included).... Geez? As an American (first), I am offended... As an American who is white, I am offended... Even if your audience is not the core demographic, a theme park is a wide demographic appealing business! Young children to older children to all adults..... Don't accuse, but DO ask the question to her.....(she probably won't answer, but that will be an answer in itself)..."Do you desire a segregatred theme park???" I am a free-market guy, who thinks she is ignorant for not seeing the great customers she would be missing without those from your stations.... Go get them and let me know what happens....

...Oh, I forgot.. That gives you (Howard) "Check Mate".... ;D

Skipper.
Talk about things you know about. As a Promotions person, you clearly don't know about this one.
"White based guilt" is not the answer. Understanding the world of "target marketing" is.
If you want to help black people and make a difference, work with the homeless or get involved in a charity, don't call for action that will result in actions that will distress a Louisiana company when we need all the help we can get reguardless of "ethnic marketing targets."

I completely support Blue Bayou, or any other advertisers wishing to "target" their advertising dollars, and frankly, Mr. Castay, I resent your introduction of "racism" into the matter. African Americans have for too long been the victims of TRUE racism, and your decision to make a matter of advertising "marketing and targeting" a "race" issue is dispicable. You should be ashamed of yourself. After all blacks have been through, for you to lashout because your family and employee's or listeners can't visit the water park for free is borderline sick.

If their target is "Country" because of the acts they bring in, be adult enough to understand the first rule of marketing... spend money (yes, trade is still "money") where you can get the best return and in a marketing vehicle that supports your "target demo."

You screaming "RACISM" over this may insure that may of us don't hear "RACISM" when it's real, much like what happened in Europe in the 1940's, and our country for the last 200 years. You've posted this on 3 different threads purely for "vindetta" purpose... and you run a gospel station at that. Shame.

My oh my.
I guess just 'cause you know the "Word" don't mean you "Walk" the Word, huh?

to ksw2844:

a few thoughts for you -

first...check that park in the middle of its rush hour....you'll see blacks support it....

my purpose for the letter is - hey, we'll take your money, but frankly, you won't be invited...

second - they don't use Black Radio in Baton Rouge at all - and those are the dollars that flood that park

Third - If you check my radio station isn't all gospel...it's an urban mix...

Fourth - we use almost all of those tickets as incentives for children, low income whose parents can't afford to get into that park. We give them
the ability to do so... I give 5 to one son and his kids, and 4 to the other son and his kids...my wife has not yet even gone, since we have owned both
radio stations...

trust me sir, this isn't for me and my family,.....IT'S FOR NOT ONLY KNOWING THE "WORD" BUT "walking the word out"!

ksw.. I DO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.. I had a cross burn in my yard and yet, I don't like reverse racism.. I am conservative and and have worked 30 plus years in the promotional end of CHR, AOR, Oldies, and CCM.. I have managed stations and still find time to be involved.. I know that this Urban Station used to be given the opportunity to send those who'd enjoy the park, to it.... It just seems funny when a high precentage of your population in that market is ignored.... Geez? Our theme park in lilly white southern Indiana give urbans in all the major cities near it tradeouts to come and experience it.. If I remember the great theme park guy "WD".. He wanted small children to grandparents, from all ethnic backgrounds to discover the joy of his parks.. Even in other countries... I researched Baton Rouge in the early 80's and found a dynamic in the urban lifestyle there that makes it worth reaching for... Must have been good research as a New Orleans urban station took the template, all the way down the bumper sticker design and ran with it... I do defend your right to see the way you do... I exercise my right to do the same.. That what makes our country strong.. Right, wrong or unsure, we can express ANY and ALL viewpoints...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom