• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How do you go about working in the Houston Market?

JonathanC2008

Inactive
Inactive User
My name is Jonathan Channell myspace.com/jcon94rock. I am 22 years old right now I host the Morning show on 94 Rock in NY. In a month I will be moving to Houston, I have been in radio for 5-6 years. Just wondering how i go about getting into this market? If anyone has any information and direction that I should head in my contact information is below.

Thanks!

ps aircheck on myspace.com/jcon94rock
[email protected]
[EDIT]

[EDIT-Privacy Issue]

John

OMG..are you in for a culture shock. Start cutting the sleeves off your Eddie Bauer jackets and stocking up at Wal-Mart during the deodorant sales.

There is no mass transportation here...only sprawl and tangles of freeways as far as the eye can see and even where there is no need for them. Houstonians love to drink beer and use gas...and both at the same time. They don't even care that a gallon of gas has surpassed the price of a six pack of Shiner Bock. They will still fly past you at a 100 if you're going 90. Screw the arabs! We make that stuff here!

And are you into culture splash and the arts? Do you go to the Met, Broadway plays and the Guggenheim?
Houstonians call it the same thing. It just looks like brisket and anything on a tortilla.

We went to the Roadkill festival last weekend. I saw George and Barb there. Then we all went down to the George Foreman grill-off and visited the tomb of the unknown illegal alien drunk driver. That is down the street from the statue of Gilley , the Hilary Duff bone print in cement and Clint Black's Hat History museum.

Then there is Houston's own brand of gentleman's culture - Ricks and Lipstick for starters. The boob is a deity here. Don't miss the chance to tour the SPACE CENTER. Not to be confused with NASA, the SPACE CENTER
is the world's largest RV parking lot.

Hope you have always considered mosquitoes as pets.

You're gonna wish you were back in Manhattan living on the street in JULY. But as for jobs in radio here. It is the same as anywhere USA. The same companies that own new York radio, own Houston Radio. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll remember you. Fame is fleeting faster these days though so don't waste any time getting here (if you really think there is a valid reason to do this).

Radioa... New York state... not the city. He's living in a city that has 30,000 people in it. It's about 1/4 the size of Pasadena.. he'll probably be thrilled that Whataburger is open 24 hours.. Either way... welcome man... welcome.

Be prepared to work a couple of jobs. Full-time positions aren't always easy to find, and even then, you may need something on the side to make ends meet.

OMG..are you in for a culture shock. Start cutting the sleeves off your Eddie Bauer jackets and stocking up at Wal-Mart during the deodorant sales.

There is no mass transportation here...only sprawl and tangles of freeways as far as the eye can see and even where there is no need for them. Houstonians love to drink beer and use gas...and both at the same time. They don't even care that a gallon of gas has surpassed the price of a six pack of Shiner Bock. They will still fly past you at a 100 if you're going 90. Screw the arabs! We make that stuff here!

And are you into culture splash and the arts? Do you go to the Met, Broadway plays and the Guggenheim?
Houstonians call it the same thing. It just looks like brisket and anything on a tortilla.

We went to the Roadkill festival last weekend. I saw George and Barb there. Then we all went down to the George Foreman grill-off and visited the tomb of the unknown illegal alien drunk driver. That is down the street from the statue of Gilley , the Hilary Duff bone print in cement and Clint Black's Hat History museum.

Then there is Houston's own brand of gentleman's culture - Ricks and Lipstick for starters. The boob is a deity here. Don't miss the chance to tour the SPACE CENTER. Not to be confused with NASA, the SPACE CENTER
is the world's largest RV parking lot.

Hope you have always considered mosquitoes as pets.

Yo, Jonathan--don't let Radio Atlantis discourage you. What he's describing is merely our own, local charm. Funny, FUNNY observations, R-A, by the way!

Radio girl said:
Boooooo hiss to RadioA.....LOL
A Big "HISSSSSSSSSSS" it is.

You'll find Houston to be very Liberal than what it is actually portrayed to be as.

Hope you love Bar-B-Que, because in my last trip to New York (city that is), I disliked their version of a Bar-B-Que joint. I guess I just didn't look hard enough. Us Texans are very picky when it comes to BBQ. Oh, and don't forget Whataburger. It comes in handy for when you are up all night and suddenly get the munchies at 2 AM, you know what, i'll see you guys later, because right about now, it is 2 AM, and I think you know where I am going with this.

Thanks for the welcome! I love bugs, chicken bbq, and girls in cowboy hats...haha I think Texas is my kinda place. And no I am not in NYC I am in Elmira, NY Small market I have about 20-50,000 people listening in the morning. Hey is gas cheaper since its like in your backyard...I am hoping to get rich quick down there strike oil and live it up...lol Once again thanks for welcoming me.

JonathanC2008 said:
Thanks for the welcome! I love bugs, chicken bbq, and girls in cowboy hats...haha I think Texas is my kinda place. And no I am not in NYC I am in Elmira, NY Small market I have about 20-50,000 people listening in the morning. Hey is gas cheaper since its like in your backyard...I am hoping to get rich quick down there strike oil and live it up...lol Once again thanks for welcoming me.
Oil??? Hell, we ride horses to work! :D

Gas is expensive everywhere my friend. We are below the national and state average though.

As a matter of fact, the most expensive gas in the Metro area can be found at the Shell station in Deer Park -- just outside the gates of the refinery! ;D

oldjohnny said:
Radio girl said:
Boooooo hiss to RadioA.....LOL
A Big "HISSSSSSSSSSS" it is.

You'll find Houston to be very Liberal than what it is actually portrayed to be as.

Hope you love Bar-B-Que, because in my last trip to New York (city that is), I disliked their version of a Bar-B-Que joint. I guess I just didn't look hard enough. Us Texans are very picky when it comes to BBQ. Oh, and don't forget Whataburger. It comes in handy for when you are up all night and suddenly get the munchies at 2 AM, you know what, i'll see you guys later, because right about now, it is 2 AM, and I think you know where I am going with this.

i love me some whataburger! double-cheese, double-meat, bacon and jalapeños!

i think i just wet myself.

Yes...gas is expensive all over - Houston and suburbs are not immune. Just yesterday, I filled up my truck at Kroeger's in Tomball - just needed a quarter tank to fill it - and it was nearly 40-dollars. Also, good luck in your search - I know for me, it's been difficult. I've been back in the Lone Star State since last weekend, and while I've made a few contacts, nothing has panned out yet. While I am not looking for a F/T gig, I'll take whatever I can get. Again, good luck in your search.

Call Metro Traffic 713-407-6000 when you get into town. Ask for the Director of Operations.

Start out doing traffic, who knows you can end up anchoring on Channel 2, its been done before.

If not, maybe you can be Forest Sawyer, Chris Berman, or Linda Lopez (J'lo sister) some of the few other people that passed through Metro's doors in the early years.

radioatlantis said:
John

OMG..are you in for a culture shock. Start cutting the sleeves off your Eddie Bauer jackets and stocking up at Wal-Mart during the deodorant sales....

Ok, silliness aside, you're dead wrong about the "cultural" side of Houston. Have you ever been downtown? Houston's theatre district is second only to NYC. The Museum District here is bigger than most entire towns. The Med center is the largest in the world. And yeah, this is the energy capital of the planet. Not sure what the crack about NASA was about, but if you'll stop by Clear Lake, you notice about 10,000 people have badges that either work for the space agency, or one of its contractors, so NASA here is quite real. You should see some of the memorabilia there.
As far as "beer drinkin rednecks," (like thats a bad thing) you might want to stop by the Galleria area sometime--- which again, is larger than most towns, and unless Schlitz is making wine now, I think youre severely mistaken. Your take on diversity here suggests you've never gone outside here. The only "cowboys" you ever see here anymore are wearing buttless chaps and walking down Montrose. My guess is the gay community here is 2nd to SF, if you care. And If I wanted to ride a subway I'd move to NY freakin City.

Youre dead on about horrible freeways and heat, at least for 3 months. Of course they dont have heat anywhere else in America.

We have, however informed your parents that we're not releasing you from Houston, till our demands are met. Patty H. eventually stopped fighting and joined us. Oh, wait, we're not holding you... nevermind, youre free to leave....

Hey, dude, I wouldnt move 30 miles for any radio gig thats likely to just dry up in 6 months anyway. They're not through cutting budgets. I would however pursue some sort of engineering degree and work for NASA. Medical professionals are needed too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom