• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Life After Radio

DonItForYears said:
We had a great reunion a couple years ago with Winslow and others from that Oldies 94.5 era. I'd show up at THIS one, too. What great memories!

ditto! Had a great time at The Fox & The Hound!

Holstead said:
I'm in too.  Tell you what,  I'll look around for a couple of places.  I'll even pony up for a website and space if we could have web savvy person build and maintain it.  Any takers?  E-Mail or call.

[email protected]   <or> 281-793-4527

Okay everyone...I have pull with a lot of centrally located clubs, as many of us do. We can make this a private event. Blanco's will give us the place on a weeknight and maybe even some drink specials. Either of the Big Texas Dancehalls too. And I know Josh has friends at some other places I don't work with in my "after radio life".
[email protected]

That's my email. If anyone wants to actually do this all old radio jock thing...let's get a date set and do it! Just drop me a line and I'll get a data base going for us and if we'd like me too, I'll set up a blog/site (they're free) for us to use exclusively for this.

A weeknight? As a morning man who goes to bed no later than 8pm to get up at 3am I can testify that it's very very difficult to have anything resembling a life during the week. In fact, I have no life Monday through Thursday nights.

I'm sure I'm not the only morning voice who would really appreciate having this reunion event on a Friday, Saturday, or even a Sunday afternoon.

I realize Fridays and Saturdays are "prime times" for the kind of place we're looking for, but I hope those planning this event won't forget the morning crews. Some of us aren't as young as we used to be. Stayin' up late and gettin' up real early don't come easy anymore.

I'm in too, and if it's on a weeknight, I guess I'll just forget about getting any sleep. It'll be worth it for a night of fun with some old friends.

It's been a long time since I've gone straight from a party to work a morning shift, but I remember how it's done.

LTT, Thanks for taking charge of this. I'm sure you and Josh have many more connections than I do... I'll be happy to help you with anything else you need to get it organized though, just let me know.

I already have a few people who have contacted me personally wanting to attend if we came up with something, but my schedule has not allowed me to do much with it yet.

I agree on the week night thing because of my early morning schedule.. In my younger days it would not have bothered me... but now its getting tougher and tougher to stay out late and get up early...

Either way, I would attend whether on a weekend or not.

Kevinc

I'm in!

C'mon, Kevin! It'll be just like New Years at the Doubletree!

Ok, it won't be like New Years at the Doubletree, but it will be a lot of fun.

Anyone here have Barry Kaye's #?

Okay. Here are some thoughts: (and considering I helped out with the D/FW reunion I have some experience)

1> I think it should be a place where people can came and go, and that there is no cost for showing up.

2> It should be like a "no host" so, no speeches, stages, etc. *But we should hire a videographer (sp?)

3> There should be NO formal program-just a friendly mixer

4> Seems to me that a Sunday afternoon would be the best time to have it. Fewer full timers work or have appearances on Sunday. Places rarely have big gatherings on Sunday (so, they'd be inclined to give us the room)

5> I think we should place no restiorctions on who can show up (not like we could really control that if it was in a public place) jocks, sales, family members, managers, fans, etc. Think!-we might actually MEET Karen Ragen!!!

-I think Blanco's would be cool, but might be small. The KFJZ reunion had about 300 folks.

-I could probably get Fred Stockton to open Tin Hall and offer it to us for free. It is big, and air conditioned.

-I know we could rope off a good section of the Sam's Boat in Stafford, and if the thing is a bust, they could just take down the ropes.

-I'd like to do it before the summer is over. Do we have suggestions on dates? Anyone, anyone? Beuller, Beuller?

[email protected] [EDIT] if you want to chat about this.

[Privacy issue]

Josh,

You and I had discussed this exact thing 3 or 4 years ago (or was it longer?) You had mentioned then that you thought Tin Hall was a good place. I still concur. If that is a little far-out for some, I can probably get a place in the vicinity of Westheimer and Voss/Hillcroft.

Josh,

You and I had discussed this exact thing 3 or 4 years ago (or was it longer?) You had mentioned then that you thought Tin Hall was a good place. I still concur. If that is a little far-out for some, I can probably get a place in the vicinity of Westheimer and Voss/Hillcroft.

The Penthouse Club? :D

This sounds like a great idea and I've already met Karen! Sunday is definitely best for me. Please keep me in the loop on this. [email protected] Thanks!

Great News! I just got off the phone with Fred @ Tin Hall. He said we could use his place. Any Sunday he had open.

Next question is, when do we do this?

Summer? Fall? The Holidays? My vote would be sometime before school starts.

Also, I think it would be cool to do some type of multimedia presentation. Not a 'sit down and watch' thing, but something that we could project the entire time the event is going on. Any takers?

I also think it would be cool to come up with some cool memerobelia if we could safely and properly display it.

Thoughts?

Josh...got your voicemail...I was working a mobile gig. We can talk tomorrow morning if you want. Call me at Metro. (after 9 is best, but whenever.) I like the idea of memorabilia and maybe a multimedia presentation. lets talk.

Kevinc

Holstead said:
Great News! I just got off the phone with Fred @ Tin Hall. He said we could use his place. Any Sunday he had open.

Next question is, when do we do this?

Summer? Fall? The Holidays? My vote would be sometime before school starts.

Also, I think it would be cool to do some type of multimedia presentation. Not a 'sit down and watch' thing, but something that we could project the entire time the event is going on. Any takers?

I also think it would be cool to come up with some cool memerobelia if we could safely and properly display it.

Thoughts?

I'm not doing a slide show! But I have set up a blog for us to use as a central online site to gather info, post stories or career updates, etc.
http://www.lifeafterradio.blogspot.com
I'll be the unpaid intern and try and keep links and comments and poosts clean and up to date. If you want to be able to post on the blog just read the info on the Welcome post and email me.[email protected]

Tin Hall is great Josh. It's a great laidback kind of place, and it has my vote.

Sunday afternoon is also the best time, I think. It's the best chance for getting the most people.

Holstead said:

Josh,

If you don't have any takers on the presentation give me a holler and I'll be glad to do it for you folks. Not fishin for an invite since I'm not in the business, just would like show y'all a little appreciation. If you don't have digital pics, I can scan em, make a cd with all the photos and presentation.

poops

[email protected]

This sounds fun. I agree, however, that a weeknight event would be a mistake. It would also prevent most out-of-towners from attending.

Okay, ya'll.

The blog is up and running. httP://www.lifeafterradio.blogspot.com

Already a few folks have contacted me about being set up to post.

I will want some imput on what ya'll want on it - besides what we've already set up. I have a very small ego for a 30 year radio vet! So any imput or help is not gonna be a problem for me.

There's a newsletter you can sign up to get. I'm gonna be honest, I'm not gonna do one every week or on any regular basis. And I'll be happy to share the log in info if someone who's signed up to post wants to send one out for some reason. But I see no reason not to have this data base.

Thanks for the vote of confidence with me doing this for us.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom