• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KEXP, WNYE simulcast today

ty

Inactive
Inactive User
Anyone hear it? John in the Morning now on in New York. 91.5 WNYE, Radio New York.
I caught a few minutes of the show, sounded good, sounds like they may be picking music that someone newer to the station may stick around for.

You guys listen? Opinions...

ty said:
Anyone hear it? John in the Morning now on in New York. 91.5 WNYE, Radio New York.
I caught a few minutes of the show, sounded good, sounds like they may be picking music that someone newer to the station may stick around for.

You guys listen? Opinions...

I say eventually, it will prove to be one of the biggest things to happen in NYC radio history. Naturally, an average native New Yorker would laugh it off, thinking "What could some little station in Seattle can give us (Seattle is STILL small market radio to THEM, to many NYC listeners.) that we haven't got already?"

All I personally can say is "GET READY"

KEXP is a RULING alternative station. It has ALWAYS had a long history (even in the KCMU days) as being a MAJOR force in breaking in new music (and if you don't believe THAT, better listen to your Soundgarden CDs again....the ones BEFORE Badmotorfinger again.)

Even though I am VERY MUCH (STILL) in favor of LOCALISM in radio, but it seems like New York City radio lately is in need of a wake up call. I think KEXP can provide that. WFMU is a WONDERFUL station, but only covers so much of the FM topography over there. Plus it's in East Orange, NJ...

I'm hoping the NYC stations will figure out finally that their stranglehold on the alternative genre DIED once CBGB's closed and the ONLY way to revitalize it is to re-energize them is to bring them the NEXT best thing.

And I am NOT just talking about another New York station, I think commercial "Modern", "Alternative" or even "Active Rock" stations from Seattle to across AMERICA (and Canada) should take notice of the significance of this.

There are a LOT of hints on the KEXP web site: http://www.kexp.org

F--k Radio & Records....listen to the PROFESSIONALS in REAL alternative rock radio. They can school you better than ANYTHING in the R&R or FMQB s--t sheets.........

Cheers!......

water of bong, I have this feeling that there will be a backlash against KEXP. These are purely speculative thoughts at this point, but they should be honoured.

1: They sold out, the obvious reply from someone loyal to Seattle's current scene. A group may find KEXP to be a double edged sword now, as in, they may not want to allign themselves with something like a potential megolomaniac in the music industry, albeit, KEXP has underground appeal, for how long? It's up to them, how to promote themselves as "Seattle" but now "heard in New York". Any local band has a decision to make at this point...

2: If they haven't already been exposed by local publications enough, now they have done it themselves, The Stranger, Weekly, the name Paul Allen. Perception is, that it is a lack of perception of the true identity of KEXP.

I only have 2, I love KEXP, but listening to it the other morning I couldn't help but think of this as the furthering of the continued homoginization of a perceived Seattle staple, time will tell if they cave to what the perceptuals in New York feed them. I hope they can dig deep enough to convince long time fans of them that they haven't caved to a bigger cause by pulling the wool over our eyes leading us to believe the local interest, is in fact of interest. These are probably all obvious newly found perceptions to the folks that read this radio board.

I dislike the type of post I just wrote. I will respond to it myself by saying that taking a radio station, how it is run, and exposing all the possible negative outcomes of managerial decisions they make without offering some of your own suggestions, is chicken shit. I am only describing myself, I suggested outcomes of something without offering advice on how to improve, offering my view of things.

KEXP must intitiate a local campaign to establish themselves tangibly in the Seattle community. We want to give New Yorker's a taste of Seattle. This is important, and I am sure all of you can sanitize and come up with many ways KEXP can accomplish this without seeming obvious. I don't need to continue.

Why does KEXP equate themselves with an experience? The focal fundamental reasoning behind this statement should resonate throughout who they "target" by not targeting anyone based on location of the listener. New York, Seattle etc...

I'm done now because anymore input on the topic without listening to you folks is arrogance.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom