On Air Salaries: Who knows what...? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: On Air Salaries: Who knows what...?

Re: On Air Salaries: Who knows what...?

Quote Originally Posted by SonicAl
    Quote Originally Posted by blamethemayo
    according to his myspace page, pete sheppard claims to make $250k+

i find that a little hard to believe.

$250k to read sport flashes and fill in for ordway a few weeks a year? doesnt particularly make economic sense.
    for all intents and purposes, Pete is a co-host of the show, 'second banana,' if you will. He doesn't just read the flashes.
    true enough.

$250K+ is still a bit steep for a 'second banana'.

im sure they could find equal talent for much less.

bigger profit margins!!!!

$3 Million contract? Was that per year or for a number of years? I would have to imagine that bonuses make up a decent percentage of a morning show's comp for hitting targets, no? With that kind of money wouldn't some retire after a few short years? That's a liability for the owners.

spilot113

Quote Originally Posted by dumber than a box of hair

Just because someone is in the public eye doesn't make the terms of a private agreement between them and their employer (OKA their salary) subject to public scrutiny.

...but the public has no right to know it.
    While the public may not have the right to know it.....

They do have the right to talk about it if they so choose.

People have the right to talk about anything they want.

BearFur

Quote Originally Posted by ArtSpooner
    Quote Originally Posted by oaktree
    I don't think it's any of my business to know. Not even your salary.

Looking forward to post #2.
    I agree Oaktree. That is a pretty nervy post, especially for his(or her) first one. He phrases it like it's an order.
    The way it is set up, it looks like he/she works for some company that wants to know this info and they copied it into a post.

With all the sanctimoniousness in this thread, you all neglected to pose the toughest question:

How much do the owners make, and how badly are the employees being ripped off?

You sound pretty bitter. That's a shame.

As an owner, let me ask you these easy questions ... is there a problem with you on how much I make? If you and I should meet for an interview, please bring that up.

Secondly, show me one employee who is actually being "ripped off" and I'll show you a, employee working for a "job."

No one is forcing you to work for whatever pay you're offered and, rightfully so. If you don't like it, don't take the gig if offered. I won't ever rip you off. But I will make certain that my business can afford to pay you what the job pays ... not what you think it's worth. If you think different, there are 14,000 other radio station's for you to knock doors. You obviously have never worked in a radio station and if you did, work for minimum wage. That, too, is a shame. Why not do a job elsewhere that either pays better, or do another job in radio that will pay you better? Are you qualified?

Third, what do you think you're worth, what experience do you have? Better yet, you should buy a radio station and see how you'd do it when it comes time to pay people, make a dime for yourself and be successful in your community. I pay my staffs before I pay myself. I don't much like your insinuation. We're all no "mega-conglomerates" that people like you take "what you can get" and then complain about it.

I talk with people everyday who have received a bad deal, been fired in a bad economy or who have blown too many chances to make it in the scheme of things. I listen and understand how they feel. But I highly resent you saying that owners "rip off" employees. If you're so good, you wouldn't be working for what you obviously don't think is "fair." That's your problem for taking the job in the first place. And, yes, there are poor and worse owners. But no one twists your arm to take a job you don't want and you don't blame "owners" who, like me, bust butt to take care of quite a few families whose survival depends on our stations doing well, producing well and having team players who work to the highest standard possible for their success first.

You need a slight attitude readjustment.
    "Naked Hobos -- only come here for the promise of FREE Chicken! CBS Cares." Craig Ferguson - "The Late Late Show" - CBS

Gee, after that lecture....who is it that sounds bitter? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by oaktree
    You sound pretty bitter. That's a shame.
    If by "bitter", you mean "defensive of working people", then you're right.

As an owner, let me ask you these easy questions ... is there a problem with you on how much I make? If you and I should meet for an interview, please bring that up.
    It depends on whether or not your employees have a problem with their salaries. Can't rape the willing.

Secondly, show me one employee who is actually being "ripped off" and I'll show you a, employee working for a "job."
    What does that even mean?

No one is forcing you to work for whatever pay you're offered and, rightfully so. If you don't like it, don't take the gig if offered.
    Again, can't rape the willing. You're right.

I won't ever rip you off. But I will make certain that my business can afford to pay you what the job pays ... not what you think it's worth.
    If you said this to a current or prospective employee, and they responded by asking to see the budget, would you show it to them, or would you expect them to blindly take your word that their salary is in line with what the station makes?

If you think different, there are 14,000 other radio station's for you to knock doors. You obviously have never worked in a radio station and if you did, work for minimum wage. That, too, is a shame.
    It is. I've worked in radio. I was a dumbass 15 year old kid who thought the business was glamorous. Oops.

Why not do a job elsewhere that either pays better, or do another job in radio that will pay you better? Are you qualified?
    I host trivia contests at bars, which pays me a sustainable income. Every night, at least one person tells me that I should be on the radio, so I guess I'm doing something right.

Third, what do you think you're worth, what experience do you have? Better yet, you should buy a radio station and see how you'd do it when it comes time to pay people, make a dime for yourself and be successful in your community. I pay my staffs before I pay myself. I don't much like your insinuation. We're all no "mega-conglomerates" that people like you take "what you can get" and then complain about it.
    Good for you. I hope your people agree with your assessment.

I talk with people everyday who have received a bad deal, been fired in a bad economy or who have blown too many chances to make it in the scheme of things. I listen and understand how they feel. But I highly resent you saying that owners "rip off" employees. If you're so good, you wouldn't be working for what you obviously don't think is "fair." That's your problem for taking the job in the first place. And, yes, there are poor and worse owners. But no one twists your arm to take a job you don't want and you don't blame "owners" who, like me, bust butt to take care of quite a few families whose survival depends on our stations doing well, producing well and having team players who work to the highest standard possible for their success first.
    If you're not blowing smoke, and are a legitimate radio owner (who seem to be few and far between), perhaps we should talk business. AIM me or send me a message.

You need a slight attitude readjustment.
    I shouldn't be vigilant?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith321
    Gee, after that lecture....who is it that sounds bitter? ;-)
    His reaction is perfectly understandable. Station owners (and for the record, I'm not one) get this all the time, mostly from people who've never owned a business, never met a payroll, never had to deal with egos (and in radio, there are lots of huge ones), never had to draw up budget projections for a year (sometimes longer) in advance, and never had to fork over money they didn't have when a 20-year-old transmitter decides, "that's it, I'm not going to work anymore," thus necessitating a trip to a bank and a chat with a sometimes-sympathetic load officer. Oh yes, I forgot keeping all your paperwork in order lest an FCC inspector finds one sheet of paper missing from your local public file, your EAS test logs incomplete or a tower light out and not reported or repaired. Let's not forget handling all the people in the community who know better than you how to run the station that has your name on the license. For every large group owner, for whom an FCC station license is (*sometimes*) a license to print money, there is a stand-alone owner who is in radio because he or she loves it, not because they're going to get rich from it.
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Will says: If you said this to a current or prospective employee, and they responded by asking to see the budget, would you show it to them, or would you expect them to blindly take your word that their salary is in line with what the station makes?

You think compensation should be based on what the station makes and not what the job should pay? (given the job, market and so on)

OK – fair enough. Then tell me what risk (like the owner) have you taken? What investment other than time have you made?

I’m not sure that talent is even on the same playing field with the owner as far as liability and risk.

Based on your theory that talent should be paid in line with what the station makes – would you be willing to take less if the station made less in a particular year?

And BTW: I’m a former major market air talent… Made plenty of cash through the years (same station same market for 14 years) but still received my 3% increase every year. Regardless if the station’s income was up or down.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast