• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

On Air Salaries: Who knows what...?

TravisWMLN said:
seeing some personalities making mid 6 figures is crazy to me, for what? getting someone to buy the new Against me cd? getting listeners to go out and buy a new boch toyota (or dodge, or kia, or new to you....you get my point)? or talk about how the celtics are in freefall mode and the parade wouldn't last all season?

My take on this: I always thought the reason you got paid big money is not only how much advertising revenue you can generate, but this little thing called popularity and being in the public eye. Nowadays it isn't what it once was, and maybe that commands a lower rate. And it used to be that an announcer had an obligation to be able to report Emergency information in a timely fashion and in such a manner that would not cause undue panic (thank you Cold War air raid drills). Once upon a blue moon, you actually had to know something about transmitters. That knowledge would have translated into extra money too.

But much of these extra duties have gone by the wayside now, and so, the easier it became for an operator to handle a station's duties, the more the talent pool could increase and decrease the demand for paying a high salary.

Unless you're somebody special that has something else nobody can really offer.

dumber than a box of hair said:
ex radio pimp said:
I've seen the houses radio execs live in and the cars that they drive, the restaurants they eat in, the parties they go to. They make money.

I take it you've seen the houses, cars, restaurants and parties of all the owners of all 14,000 or so US radio stations?

Of course you haven't.

Ask Bob Bittner or Bob Savage (both small station owners, both of whom post on this site) how much money they make. Ask them how many huge houses and expensive cars they own. Ask them how many $100/plate meals they can afford.

Last time I checked, only about 50% of US commercial stations made money.

That's why I said "in many cases". But if by your tally it's 50% I stand corrected. I should have said "half of the cases".

Quite simply, you are worth the difference between your output (in terms of ratings and/or revenue generation) and the output of the next best available option. If Carr walked out the door tomorrow, Entercom wouldn't lose all their PM Drive money, but they would lose a huge chunk of it (and maybe some from other dayparts packaged to sell with Carr), thus he commands a very large paycheck for moderate effort and hours that most would kill for.

ex radio pimp said:
That's why I said "in many cases".

Er, no you didn't. This is the post I replied to:

ex radio pimp said:
I've seen the houses radio execs live in and the cars that they drive, the restaurants they eat in, the parties they go to. They make money. They could reward the talent who attracts the listeners that set the ad rates a little better in many cases. If it were all union the salaries would be at least 25% better. (see: other talent driven industries like TV, Major League Baseball Music and Film) And the owners would still be eating in the same places, going to the same parties, driving the same cars, living in the same houses.

I think they take advantage of air talent because it's really hard to get a radio job. So when an owner says something like "if you don't like it get another job in an other field/don't you have qualifications?/there are 14,000 other stations go find a job there" I take it as being a little bit coy. If you dedicate your life to a specific craft because you love to do it that doesn't make you unqualified to do other things. Some people choose their professions based on passion. Some radio people are addicted to the business. Not that that is the fault of any owner. But the business itself puts the air talent , unless you're Howard Stern or Rush, in a submissive position. There is always another hundred guys who would gladly take your low paying job. Owners know that and logically use it to their advantage. That's free market to an extent but it's also a rip off.

I read it four times, and didn't see "in most cases" stated or implied. Nice try.

dumber than a box of hair said:
ex radio pimp said:
That's why I said "in many cases".

Er, no you didn't. This is the post I replied to:

ex radio pimp said:
I've seen the houses radio execs live in and the cars that they drive, the restaurants they eat in, the parties they go to. They make money. They could reward the talent who attracts the listeners that set the ad rates a little better in many cases. If it were all union the salaries would be at least 25% better. (see: other talent driven industries like TV, Major League Baseball Music and Film) And the owners would still be eating in the same places, going to the same parties, driving the same cars, living in the same houses.

I think they take advantage of air talent because it's really hard to get a radio job. So when an owner says something like "if you don't like it get another job in an other field/don't you have qualifications?/there are 14,000 other stations go find a job there" I take it as being a little bit coy. If you dedicate your life to a specific craft because you love to do it that doesn't make you unqualified to do other things. Some people choose their professions based on passion. Some radio people are addicted to the business. Not that that is the fault of any owner. But the business itself puts the air talent , unless you're Howard Stern or Rush, in a submissive position. There is always another hundred guys who would gladly take your low paying job. Owners know that and logically use it to their advantage. That's free market to an extent but it's also a rip off.

I read it four times, and didn't see "in most cases" stated or implied. Nice try.

Nice try yourself. I said "in many cases" not "in most cases".

Read again and spot this quote, it's really there, I pinky swear:

"They could reward the talent who attracts the listeners that set the ad rates a little better in MANY CASES."

Not sure how you missed it, but you did.

As one of the people on your original list, I'm a little mystified as to your curiosity about my salary. I never seem to have the same curiosity about others, including you. But I'll tell you what I tell kids who ask the same question as you --- it's probably half what you think, but twice what you seem to think I'm worth. I find the original post a bit tawdry, but have been amused by the posts that followed, and the diverging paths those posts have taken.

ex radio pimp said:
Read again and spot this quote, it's really there, I pinky swear:

"They could reward the talent who attracts the listeners that set the ad rates a little better in MANY CASES."

Not sure how you missed it, but you did.

Yes, I missed it, because it doesn't address what I specifically responded to, which was: "They make money."

Bear79 said:
As one of the people on your original list, I'll tell you what I tell kids who ask the same question as you --- it's probably half what you think, but twice what you seem to think I'm worth.

..and Bear doesn't owe anyone any information about his/her salary. It's nobody's business. Radio stations are private entities, and can pay as much (or as little, more likely) as they'd like. It's the John and Jane Six-Packs of the world who really care about this sort of thing. The same types who get their daily news from Entertainment Tonight.

Mickey37 said:
Radio stations are private entities

They're as public as can be. I can't just start my own station. I have to receive permission from a federal agency to do so. Doesn't get much more public than that.

Okay, so I haven't jumped into many topics in the past, but I do have something to add. When I started in radio, I had no idea what the job I was doing was worth. So I asked around and nobody would give solid figures. I barely got a salary range. But because I figured if I work hard and get some experience, my pay would go up.

I was hired on the verbal promise that my salary would go up in 6 months. 4 months later, the PD was fired, and I was stuck at that figure for 3 years. Stupid, I know, but once again, work hard, get experience, pay raise.

One of the resources that I did find was R&R's salary chart, that broke down average salaries based on position and market size. I figured out I was grossly underpaid for what I was doing, so instead of asking for a raise, I decided I needed to upgrade my position. I moved up to middays, and got a $10,000 raise. Sweet! Well, except for I was grossly underpaid before, so now I was very underpaid. So once again I didn't worry about the money. I decided to keep getting more experience and try to keep moving up.

When I became PD/Afternoons, I figured NOW it's time to get paid! I paid my dues, worked to get the necessary experience and was rewarded with PD stripes! So when I met with my GM, I was ready. I had my R&R salary chart (by this time it was 3 years old, so I thought those figures would be a little low). I did as much research as I could on other afternoon personalities in top ten markets to see what they are getting paid, and I came in with a figure that felt was fair. I understand that many PDs in smaller markets also did airshifts, but I don't know of one in Boston. So I used the PD figure without adding in the afternoon numbers. (I'll give you all the numbers at the end)

I ended up with less than 1/3 the average salary of PDs in top ten markets! Yes I was an inexperienced PD. Yes this was my first afternoon position. Yes it was Boston, not New York, Los Angeles or Chicago. Yes my station underperformed financially (I think… that's what was always told to us). But I was being paid like a PD in markets 101-150! But because I didn't know what my counterparts REALLY made, in Boston, other top ten markets, other stations in my company, other Urban stations, etc, I felt I had no wiggle room. If you are passionate about radio, can you really walk away from a golden opportunity to be a PD/Afternoon personality in a major market because of money, especially if you don't really know if their offer is good or not?

And that is my major point. Owners don't want you to know what other people are getting paid because if you have that information, you can use that against them. If you don't know where the ceiling or the floor is, you have no idea what salary to negotiate. Usually an air personality doesn't know what the billing of the station is, so it's impossible to know if the amount you are asking for makes sense. And an owner can always say they are not making enough money to pay you what you want, so you have a choice: take what they give you or walk. If you don't know your worth, you don't know if walking make sense. It's almost like buying a car. If you have the invoice price of what the dealership paid for a vehicle, you can negotiate a much better deal than if you just pay what the dealership says what you should pay. If there was an Edmunds.com for radio salaries, I would gladly pay for that information!

So knowing salaries for specific people is great if you are using it as a guide. Obviously you can't say "Matty makes over a million, so I should make a million too." But at least if you know what he is making, and you are honest with yourself, you can figure out a number you are comfortable asking for.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know putting my figures out there makes me look stupid for taking such little money, but if I can help other people have a little more of a clue in dealing with their negotiations, it's worth looking stupid.

Urban Contemporary Station (market dropped from 8th to 11th in 5 years)
Year 1: Morning Show Producer of nationally syndicated show—$22,000 (yes, I know, in Boston that is crazy!)
Year 2: Morning Show Producer/Fill-in midday personality for 13 months—$22,000 (they saved a whole year's salary using me; they gave me a $1,100 bonus for doing middays)
Year 3: Morning Show Producer—$22,000
Year 4: Midday Personality—$33,000
Year 5: Midday Personality—$33,000 (oh, I forgot: there just happened to be a wage freeze EVERY year I was with the company!)

Urban Contemporary/Urban AC Hybrid in market #11
Year 6: Program Director/Afternoon Personality—$55,000 (no ratings bonus)
Year 7: Program Director/Afternoon Personality—$55,000 (station was sold in August 2006)

Rhythmic Station in market #59
Year 8: Program Director/Afternoon Personality—$66,000 ($50,000 base—potential $2,000 per quarter bonus for #1 18-34 overall and afternoons) BTW in Dayton I made what I should have made based on the research I did, and I received the maximum bonus for every book overall and afternoons!

I forgot!

September 13, 2002 R&R Magazine:

Market 1-10: Program Director $174,882; Afternoon Personality $86,470
11-25: PD $104,434; Afternoons $62,392
25-50: PD $90,000; Afternoons $40,052
51-100: PD $60,000; Afternoons $33,280
101-150: PD $53,000; Afternoons $34,500

Mickey37 said:
..and Bear doesn't owe anyone any information about his/her salary.

Ummm...isn't that a given?

You've posted this same thought twice.

As was stated before, newspapers report salaries and people debate sports salaries all the time.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything....However, people ARE free to discuss whatever they want.

Mickey37 said:
.....really care about this sort of thing. The same types who get their daily news from Entertainment Tonight.

Which, I might add, is/was one of the most popular shows in syndication!

When it comes to radio salaries...asking what a job pays is like asking what a house costs. Location, location, location.

OK Gang, it's time to try to speculate a bit about what on-air people are making in Boston.

Below is a listing of on-air talent.....do you know any of their salaries?

Now please don't just take wild guesses. But feel free to pass along "what you've heard". Maybe you have some inside information on one or two people? Maybe you know got an inside tip about someone's salary?

If you believe you know for some reason, feel free to pass it along.

Again, don't just take wild guesses, but do share if you've heard something and believe you know.

---------------

WXKS-FM-

Matty
Billy Costa
Shelly Wade----GONE
Romeo
Jackson Blue----GONE to KLB
Tyler----GONE

WJMN-

Ramiro----GONE to 96.9
Pebbles----GONE to 96.9
Middays?
Afternoons
Nights?
Overnights?
G-Spin----GONE

WBMX-

John Lander----GONE
Kelly Malone----GONE
Erin O'Malley
Greg Danials
Fast Freddy
Lady Di----GONE to Worcester

WZLX-

Karlson
McKenzie
Carter Alan
Churck Nowlin
Kenny Young
Al Cole

WODS-

Dale Dorman----GONE RIP
Paula Street----GONE to FLorida
Karen Blake----GONE to the Cape
Patrick Callahan----GONE
Mike FInnegan----GONE
JJ Wright----GONE retired

WROR-

Loren Owens
Wally Brine----GONE retired
Tom Doyle----GONE
Sue Cope----GONE
Hank
Lungboy
Julie Devereaux
Paul Perry
Kim Collins----GONE

WMJX-

Mike Addams----GONE retired
Nancy Quill
Dan Justin----GONE
David Allen Booshe
Michael Burns----GONE

WBCN-

Adam 12----GONE to BDC Radio
Toucher
Rich
(Nights?)

WKLB-

JW----GONE
Caroline Kruse
Steve Kelly----GONE to Hartford
Keith Stephens----GONE to wrocester

WAAF-

Greg Hill
Mike Hsu----GONE
Mistress Carrie
Bob Hannah

WBOS-

George Knight----GONE to WERS
Dana Marshall----GONE
John Laurenti----GONE
Dominick Lewis----GONE

WFNX-

Morning show?
Julie Kramer----GONE
Big Jim----GONE
Alter Ego----GONE

WRKO-

Tom Finneran----GONE
Reese Hopkins----GONE to jail?
Howie Carr
Todd Feinberg----GONE

WTKK-

Michael Graham----GONE
Jim Braude----GONE to GBH
Margery Egan----GONE
Jay Severin----GONE
Michelle McPhee----GONE to GBH

WEEI-

John Dennis----GONE
Gerry Callahan
Dale Arnold
Holly
Glenn ORdway
Mike Adams----GONE to NH Radio

WBZ-

Steve Leveille----GONE retired
Dan Rea
Ed Walsh----GONE retired
Gil Santos----GONE retired
Deb Lawler
Bob McMahon----GONE
Laurie Kirby
Bill Watson
Greg Jensen----GONE
Lana Jones
Tom Cuddy
Anthiny Silva
Diane Stern----GONE retired
Karen Twomey
Mark Katic
Art Cohen
Kim tunnicliffe
Doug Cope
Lisa Meyer
Kendall Buhl

WBUR-

Bob Oakes
Tom Ashbrook
David Boeri
Steve Brown
Dave Faneuf
Delores Handy
Robin Young

WCRB-

Laura Carlo
Mark Edwards----GONE
Art Steinberg
Mark Calder

WGBH-FM-

Cathy Fuller
Richard Knisely----GONE
Margot Stage
Lisa Mullins
Eric Jackson
Bob Parlocha

Good Grief!

Wow! Came across this old post from 2008...9 years ago. Interesting to see how many people have moved on (maybe more that I don't know about?). Nice to see that many have found other jobs!

A lot has changed in the last 9 years in terms of the marketplace/jobs/realistic salaries.

Looks like the most stable stations have been WBZ, WBUR and WZLX?

Last edited:
Good Grief!

Wow! Came across this old post from 2008...9 years ago. Interesting to see how many people have moved on (maybe more that I don't know about?). Nice to see that many have found other jobs!

Here are a few more progressions you didn't have from the names listed:

WMJX-

Michael Burns --- to WZID, Manchester, NH

WBOS-

Dana Marshall --- to WXRV "The River"
John Laurenti --- to WGIR-FM/WHEB-FM, NH (PD)

WGBH-FM-

Lisa Mullins --- to WBUR

I wouldn't automatically consider WXLO "Worcester" as it is in the Boston MSA. Heck, all of northern Worcester County is in the Boston MSA (and some eastern communities as well). WXLO's signal is clear as a bell north and west of 128, and is fairly clear in the immediate north/western suburbs. WXLO even gives specific (mainly Boston market) town IDs (ex. Lexington this is your variety). They do this to LOTS of Boston's north/west inner/outer suburbs. Sorry, don't mean to rant. Just needed to get that off my chest.

What is the difference between a large cheese pizza and a DJ? The pizza can feed a family of four!

I wouldn't automatically consider WXLO "Worcester" as it is in the Boston MSA. They do this to LOTS of Boston's north/west inner/outer suburbs. WXLO even gives specific (mainly Boston market) town IDs (ex. Lexington this is your variety). Sorry, don't mean to rant. Just needed to get that off my chest.

I'm sure every station wants to be part of the nearest "big market"...but WXLO performs very badly ratingswise and is not competitive in Boston, no matter how many towns they mention.

That said, it is not a reflection on the people that work there or the job they do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom