• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sunny 105.9 Is Here! "Orlando's Greatest Hits"!

you know dj mo. you are right. one day we were driving around altamonte in my grand parrents vue and i did notice the signal sounded wierd. plus i was in one part of orlando and there was a lot of static. and the ratings did not take a huge jump but that is one book under them. i think when the summer book comes out we will see a higher jump. they have only been heer for 3 months. infact thursday was 3 months to the day they came on. i loved that launch. it was great.

Austin, thanks for letting me know it's not just my radio. Maybe an engineer can take a guess at what's happening here. Could be the addition of HD-2, but it's only on this station.

I saw a Sunny 105.9 billboard lit outside on 436 in Altamonte. It's one of those billboards that flip every few seconds. I'm sure once the word spreads even more with advertising, we will see more than a 2.0.

I might be one of the few people who logs my own radio listening as I surf the radio dial manually. The only time I lock on Sunny 105.9 for more than 1 song is when they play songs within the same decade or tempo. I'm also in a generation where some of the 70's music is obscure to me. I've been more locked on WVLG 640 & Big 810. Again, it's just my personal taste.

Guys, let's get real here for a sec. Do you honestly think that just because a new fromat was launched on a strong frequency that they would come out of the blocks with a 3, 4 or 5 share? This is Orlando we are talking where the market is already saturated with too much radio, albeit most it not real good.

I think many of us now agree, the giddiness and "newness" has worn off a tad. Listen closely and its the same old crap, repetitive songs, nothing out of the ordinary, decent jingle package but as most have stated here and this is IMPORTANT, its not WCBS.

Quick, name 3 compelling things WOCL has gotten you to do? If you are like me, you hear many of the same songs on WMMO or other outlets.

Maybe its me, but its a nice station but don't expect this be a monster like WFLZ became when they exploded on the scene in the 90's in Tampa.

I listened for a while when they first flipped, but then it became very boring. I wish they were more like WCBS-FM. It seems like the same old tired songs over and over again. Where are the "oh wow" songs? CBS-FM is much better in my opinion!

I didn't get why this group was so crazy about this station. It's the same old crap. granted a new station is great... it beats waking up to Drew and Sexy Savannah.

as much as i hate to say it, i have to agree. it was great when it first launched but wcbs is better in new york. it is the same old songs over and over. and tone lock's wild thing still comes on. ahahahhahahahhah i mean it's a good song but really does that belong on sunny? i'm just hoping sunny does something or they may lose my interest...

Well living in Jax I love driving down to Orlando and listening to this station....I think the 'Olides' formatting makes it a notch above the 'Classic Hits' formatting with the two boring breaks per hour.......Imaging is ok and the music is good too..again being from Jax I havent listened everyday but you dont often hear a range from B-52's to Thelma Houston to Def Leppard to Hues Corporation to early Mellencamp and a cut from the Grease soundtrack....No 'groundbreaking sounds' but what do you want ..Its the 'Greatest Hits' and while no station in Florida or anywhere else is going to be WCBS, I think they are doing pretty well so far...at least they are giving it a try

peace out~!

JaxRocks said:
Well living in Jax I love driving down to Orlando and listening to this station....I think the 'Olides' formatting makes it a notch above the 'Classic Hits' formatting with the two boring breaks per hour.......Imaging is ok and the music is good too..again being from Jax I havent listened everyday but you dont often hear a range from B-52's to Thelma Houston to Def Leppard to Hues Corporation to early Mellencamp and a cut from the Grease soundtrack....No 'groundbreaking sounds' but what do you want ..Its the 'Greatest Hits' and while no station in Florida or anywhere else is going to be WCBS, I think they are doing pretty well so far...at least they are giving it a try

peace out~!

I believe they are being compared to WCBS because they are a CBS station, and both WCBS and Sunny have the Classic Hits format.

oh Im sure thats why the comparsions are being made...same ownership and format....I just dont believe any two stations should sound exactly alike , same owner or not...I think its a good thing they are catered to their markets and dont follow the cookie cutter mentality

good luck to them!

That would be COX RADIO, masters of cookie-cutter radio; to a certain degree, all companies do some of this and it's understandable, especially if you find a certain something that works everywhere, you use it as a tool- and, if there are things you know don't work well, you make sure to pass them on down the line.

But Cox is especially guilty, especially with much of their talent; same liners, same phrases, same positioners, same playlists. ick.

Some beach shops were playing Sunny on the east coast today. That was kind of a surprise due to the demographics of the shoppers.

ORLRadio said:
Some beach shops were playing Sunny on the east coast today. That was kind of a surprise due to the demographics of the shoppers.

I bet they think the upbeat, positive music fits the mood of their stores (which makes sense).

The Music Mix is sounding slightly better than in the beginning...not much,a little better.I'm assuming Mid-Days must be voice-tracked as I am not hearing Time Checks or many talk ups.That is too bad...a Classic Hits format needs Personality...when Bob Berry comes on it sounds almost as if I hit my pre-set button.If you don't talk to your at work audience & give away stuff and promote,promote,promote...your audience might as well listen to their own CD's.(Well,at least until Bob comes on).

indydood said:
ORLRadio said:

I bet they think the upbeat, positive music fits the mood of their stores (which makes sense).

Eh, I think it was more like the old people running the places liked it. I'm not sure the 20 somethings looking for their name on shot glasses can bump out to (or even want to hear) Fleetwood Mac and Diana Ross. But thats a nice thought.

ORLRadio said:
indydood said:
ORLRadio said:

Eh, I think it was more like the old people running the places liked it. I'm not sure the 20 somethings looking for their name on shot glasses can bump out to (or even want to hear) Fleetwood Mac and Diana Ross. But thats a nice thought.

probably a little of both

ORLRadio said:

Many restaurants targeting young diners are decorated with antique pictures.

Or...maybe they were hoping "Wipeout" would come on?

baby boomers

hi im for everyone enjoying classic stuff
but there is a very large population of babyboomers thats where the 80s kid come from . but the boomers tend to be left out ive heard you play 60-70-80 ok then give us old vietnam vets some music to jam to we hear mostly top 40 from 80s please try to address
just moved here from alamogordo nm alot oy young people alot of white haired retirees and 2 oldies stations but not 1in central fl whats up with that!
where not special but where is the music we grew up with us parents please Help bhd.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom