• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sunny 105.9 Is Here! "Orlando's Greatest Hits"!

DToTheJ

Walk of Fame Participant
They launched at around 12:45 with almost the same exact montage WCBS-FM in New York played when they relaunched last July. Sunny's montage had vignettes for individual years from the late 60's into the 80's, year by year, up until 1989. CBS-FM's montage had a vignette for each year from 1964 to 1979, then just did one montage to cover the entire 80's decade. Being the "child of the 80's" that I am, I'm enjoying this launch slightly better, even though 'CBS is in my own backyard...

And the station apparently has the same imaging guy and package that CBS-FM has.

http://www.sunny1059.com/

First song:
That's The Way I Like It

Listening early... They'll play 80's, too? Interesting...

Kicked off with K.C. & The Sunshine Band "That's The Way I Like It"... I just played that on "The Daily Buzz!" Hey now!

Anyways, looks like I'll be enjoying the station for a while until I start hearing a pattern of repeats. d=)

1:05:09! - K.C & The Sunshine Band - (That's The Way) I Like It!!!

Hey CBS... banner ad still advertises the "Morning After Show" ....

yayayyayayyayayayayya i loooooooove 1059. it's excelent. today is a good day in radio for orlando. first song: that's the way i like from kc and the sunshine band. second song: forner feels like the first time. i'm loving this stuff. good job wocl. this is exactly the station i was hoping for.
now prince 1999. it gets no better. i'm defanatly putting this as number one on all my radios. they are defanatly putting 100000 to use.

Its Jeff Cushman...PD from Mix? also i overlooking Sunny...

Howard Dean said:
Interesting

Makes ya wanna scream, don't it? ;D

Now playing: Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

billalm said:
HOLY S***!!! A DJ talking up the second song. Wow. What a concept.

He just came on again and stated we were listening to what will be the first of many "SUNNY SEVEN SONG SUPER SETS"! Now, there's a tongue twister for your transistor...

All the while...sittin' in the rockin' chair spinning the platters that matter...

Press release courtesy of the Orlando Sentinel's Scott Maxwell, who dubs the new Sunny format "70s-centered hits":

January 10th, 2008 - WOCL-FM announced today the launch of a new station, Sunny 105.9, bringing Orlando’s greatest hits to Central Florida. Programming highlights of the Classic Hits station includes a cross section of music from bands such as the Doobie Brothers, John Mellencamp, Aretha Franklin, Bee Gees, Elton John, the Eagles and Stevie Wonder. "Central Florida is the place to have a little fun in the sun and Sunny 105.9 is just the station to reflect the energy of where we live”, said Earnest L. James, Senior Vice President and Market Manager of CBS RADIO Orlando. "With Sunny 105.9, listeners will enjoy a unique blend of classic Top 40 hits from the 60’s through the 80’s with an upbeat presentation. You’ll be able to groove to Earth, Wind & Fire, dance to Prince and sing along with the Beatles”.

“Sunny 105.9 will be an exciting addition for radio listeners in Central Florida. There’s no other station like it in the market. Built for adults who enjoy great music centered in the 70’s with a high energy style, it’s going to be lots of fun”, said interim Program Director Jeff Cushman.

The station will feature a stellar line-up of on air talent that will be announced soon.

Newly-appointed CBS RADIO Vice President of Classic Hits Programming, Brian Thomas, is working closely with the station overseeing its launch and on-air presentation. Thomas also serves as Program Director of WCBS-FM, the legendary Classic Hits station in New York which returned to the market in July 2007.

WOCL-FM is owned and operated by CBS RADIO, one of the largest major-market radio operators in the United States. A division of CBS Corporation, CBS RADIO operates 140 radio stations, which are located mainly in the nation's top 50 markets. CBS RADIO also owns and operates WOMX and WJHM in Orlando.

If you would like more information on the all new Sunny 105.9, please contact Earnest L. James (SVP/Market Manager CBS Radio Orlando) at 407-919-1006.

###

Listening online in Jacksonville and loving it......My God a DJ on the first day!!! what madness is that!!!!...lol......I was living in O town when O Rock Launched and loved it and now loving Sunny........Would be nice if Jax had a true greatest hits station....Kudos to CBS!

It seems by reading the comments posted under the Orlando Sentinel press release article that most people don't like the change at all. I like it, but I'm one of those "older" people in my 40's.

ditto to that JaxRocks.....I am listening here as well...well on my stereo here at my place in St. Augustine...and its a preset in my truck radio.....I love this station....congrats Orlando

bdpop said:
It seems by reading the comments posted under the Orlando Sentinel press release article that most people don't like the change at all. I like it, but I'm one of those "older" people in my 40's.

Some of these people are a bit misguided. For example, "Luke667" writes: "Lame. CBS, we did NOT need another soft rock station in Orlando. You guys stink." Then again, I'm willing to bet it's one of the loyal O-Rock listeners having their say...

I wonder if they will have any specialty shows like CBS-FM does, like the Top 20 countdown or Hall of Fame.

It sounds very good! Its CBS FM of the south. With the removal of Keith Abrams as Director of Oldies Programming, Brian Thomas was the right person to launch this thing.

I wish them all the best in the Orlando market.

Some classic jock was just on talking up the Bee Gees - Bob Berry (sp?).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom