• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WVAP 1510 "THE VOICE OF THE VALLEY

J

JOHN-GANTT

I as well as many others got my first gig in radio in Burnettown at a small am called WVAP back in 1978. It was hard getting hired on anywhere back then unless you had experience.Everyone kept leading me to "The Valley". It was known as the training station. I know a lot of people over the years got started there, at least I have heard a few people over the years mentioning it was where they got started. I started there and am currently at WCOS FM Columbia. I was Johnny Gee. (a very young kid then) Was just wondering if anyone knows where anyone else wound up (if still in radio). Some of the people I am curious about are Hank Schnieder, Greg Stanford(was at time with North Augusta police force),and Terry Green. If anyone can help out on any history or whereabouts of former staff it would be greatly appreciated. I think the station got it's start in the late 60's or early 70's. I do remember it was started by Harry Parker and a fellow by the last name of George who had passed away before I had started. I do remember his wife Shirley. Was just pondering over the past the other day and all this just crossed my mind. Wondering whom all else had roots in Burnettown.

VAPMAN said:
I do remember it was started by Harry Parker

My sister-in-law has been close friends with "Hap's" daughter Lib, for many years. I never worked there, but did visit a time or two, when I was working in Augusta. Even though it was at 1510, I believe that was the shortest AM tower I've ever seen...something like 100 feet.

Where Valley Advertising Pays. The Voice of the Valley - P.O. Box 1 - Langley, South Carolina, 29834.

WVAP - The Voice of the Valley

I worked there through junior high and high school. I remember Hap, Shelby, Hank, Greg, Johnny "G", Chuck Daryl and many more!

Wow, a response to a 6 year old thread.

I knew Greg Stanford when he was working at WGUS and later he left radio and went to work with the Aiken PD, and I think he retired from Aiken PD a few years ago.

Haven't talked with him since I left WGUS in 1976.

Hello Johnny G. I stumbled on to this post while searching to see what might be on the internet about WVAP, the Voice of the Valley.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom