• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Name one station in WNY that needs to be put out of its misery.

Pick your unfavorite station.....for any reason.......bad ratings.....format.....technical......personalities......

The station that should go off the air now.

and to start.......WJJL

I would guess JJL would be at the top of most everyone's list...a distant second might be that other powerhouse of Niagara Falls radio HLD.

Any station that starts playing Christmas music before mid December.

It needs to be said:
Anyone who *enjoys* listening to Christmas music within 2 weeks of Halloween, is a moron.

I can't think of any that need to put out of their misery, just a little revamping. WWKB in Buffalo is probably the most obvious one. Obviously it needs to be sold off in order to compete against WBEN. Just imagine if they were sold to someone respectable and smart, and revamped the schedule:

5-9AM: WWKB Morning News
9-12PM: Stephanie Miller
12-3PM: Ed Schultz
3-7PM: WWKB Afternoon Show-local talk and local news.
7-10PM: Leslie Marshall
10-1AM: Randi Rhodes
1-5AM: Joey Reynolds

I'll cast my vote for WFRW in Rochester, and WFBF in Buffalo, and all the other stations in that network. What a waste of two perfectly good FM channels.
I wonder, if they went off the air tomorrow, would anyone notice?

JakeLongwell said:
I'll cast my vote for WFRW in Rochester, and WFBF in Buffalo, and all the other stations in that network. What a waste of two perfectly good FM channels.
I wonder, if they went off the air tomorrow, would anyone notice?

I live in a burb of Rochester and have no idea what WFRW is. What frequency is it on? What was its call letters before?

LOL Mr. Giardina its ironic you've never heard of them because they are located in the burb you live in! They're a religious station at 88.1, part of the Family Radio Life Network or something to that effect.

You not only live in "a burb of Rochester" - you work for WFRW's community of license! ;D

It's Family Radio's Webster-licensed 88.1, fed entirely out of Oakland, California and transmitting from Newark or thereabouts.

WFBF is Family's 89.9 Buffalo signal.

Me, I'd cast a vote for WASB and WRSB...

I'll come back and comment around February or so.
Regent is fairly new to the market, selling off stations while Entercom is doing what ever with some of their stations...

Scott Fybush said:
You not only live in "a burb of Rochester" - you work for WFRW's community of license! ;D

It's Family Radio's Webster-licensed 88.1, fed entirely out of Oakland, California and transmitting from Newark or thereabouts.

WFBF is Family's 89.9 Buffalo signal.

Me, I'd cast a vote for WASB and WRSB...

You mean its that station located on Creek Street and Browncroft Blvd ? Their AM is 990 Legends?
Both owned by Crawford Broadcasting.

Almost four years away from the microphone, I guess I'm out of the loop.

Nope...and OK, here's a guide to the various religious players in the market, for everyone's edification:

88.1 WFRW Webster - Family Stations, Inc. (Oakland CA), dba "Family Radio". No studios here, transmitter in Newark

88.9 WCIY Canandaigua, plus translators on 91.9, 92.9, 94.7, 104.5, etc. - Family Life Ministries of Bath, dba "Family Life Network". WCIY's transmitter is on Bristol Mountain, the translators are at every other FM site in town, pretty much. Studios are down in Bath.

89.3 WMHN Webster - Mars Hill Network of Syracuse, with studios in Syracuse (WMHR 102.9) and transmitter at the church on Holt Road just north of 104.

99.7 WZXV Palmyra - Calvary Chapel of the Finger Lakes, with studios on 332 in Farmington and transmitter on Baker Hill in Perinton.

102.1 WBJA Albion - Family Worship Center (Jimmy Swaggart), studios in Baton Rouge, LA, transmitter west of Holley somewhere.

102.7 WRCI Webster - Crawford Broadcasting, "102.7 the Light," sister to WLGZ 990 (and to WDCX 99.5 Buffalo), with studios at 2494 Browncroft Blvd. and transmitter at the WRMM tower on Colfax Street.

104.9 WKDL Brockport - EMF Broadcasting (Sacramento CA). "K-Love." No studios here, transmitter in Ogden just south of 531.

1460 WHIC Rochester - Holy Family Communications of Williamsville, sister to WLOF 101.7 Attica. Local studios somewhere in Chili, the real studios on Sheridan Dr. in Williamsville, transmitter in Henrietta. This one's all-Catholic, and it's Jack Palvino's baby.

1590 WASB Brockport/1310 WASB Canandaigua - "Sonshine Network," owned by the estate of a deceased dentist. Studios at the 1590 site in Brockport.

Note that "Family Radio," "Family Life Network" and "Family Worship Center" are completely separate entities...

Scott Fybush said:
Nope...and OK, here's a guide to the various religious players in the market, for everyone's edification:

88.1 WFRW Webster - Family Stations, Inc. (Oakland CA), dba "Family Radio". No studios here, transmitter in Newark

88.9 WCIY Canandaigua, plus translators on 91.9, 92.9, 94.7, 104.5, etc. - Family Life Ministries of Bath, dba "Family Life Network". WCIY's transmitter is on Bristol Mountain, the translators are at every other FM site in town, pretty much. Studios are down in Bath.

89.3 WMHN Webster - Mars Hill Network of Syracuse, with studios in Syracuse (WMHR 102.9) and transmitter at the church on Holt Road just north of 104.

99.7 WZXV Palmyra - Calvary Chapel of the Finger Lakes, with studios on 332 in Farmington and transmitter on Baker Hill in Perinton.

102.1 WBJA Albion - Family Worship Center (Jimmy Swaggart), studios in Baton Rouge, LA, transmitter west of Holley somewhere.

102.7 WRCI Webster - Crawford Broadcasting, "102.7 the Light," sister to WLGZ 990 (and to WDCX 99.5 Buffalo), with studios at 2494 Browncroft Blvd. and transmitter at the WRMM tower on Colfax Street.

104.9 WKDL Brockport - EMF Broadcasting (Sacramento CA). "K-Love." No studios here, transmitter in Ogden just south of 531.

1460 WHIC Rochester - Holy Family Communications of Williamsville, sister to WLOF 101.7 Attica. Local studios somewhere in Chili, the real studios on Sheridan Dr. in Williamsville, transmitter in Henrietta. This one's all-Catholic, and it's Jack Palvino's baby.

1590 WASB Brockport/1310 WASB Canandaigua - "Sonshine Network," owned by the estate of a deceased dentist. Studios at the 1590 site in Brockport.

Note that "Family Radio," "Family Life Network" and "Family Worship Center" are completely separate entities...

Well it's no wonder I never heard of WFRW since they don't have studios here in Webster. And the other reason is that I never listen to religious stations to begin with.

It's amazing the number of these operations that don't have studios or offices locally. Everything is
coming from another location out-of-state. Sound familar?

Thanks Rev. Fybush for the information. ;D And please give my warmest regards to IL Duce' when you run into him.

radio stations tha need to go

WFKL: fickle 93.3...not because of their music content, but their horrible signal...anywhere east of route 21, their signal gets chewed up by syracuse CHR powerhouse 93q on 93.1...to the west fickle is blocked by co-channel CKSG across lake ontario in cobourg operating on 93.3...don't want to see the fickle format or station go away, just perhaps a move to another place on the fm dial so their coverage extends beyond rochester and the east suburbs...

WJCA 102.1: this one needs to go...for the reason that it prevents 102.1 the edge from reaching rochester like in the 90s and early 2000s...

WISY 102.3: much like fickle 93.3 this one gets hit from both sides (both geographically and on the FM dial) coverage is hampered by neighboring stronger frequencies Sunny 102.1 out of syracuse, and Star 102.5 from Buffalo....

WECK FM 102.9: Again great playlist but awful coverage due to co-channel and bleedover from neighboring frequencies. Interference from CKLH starts anywhere north of the 290 and all of the breeze is blotted by Klite anywhere in Niagara County....

Stations with no exclusive content

Any radio station that airs things I can get somewhere else, I could do without. No need for them

950 wroc (espn)

For me its 950 WROC (ESPN) in Rochester. I totally get from a national ad standpoint why it's nice to have an ESPN affiliate here for Entercom but the signal is weak and there is almost zero local presence. They have St. John Fisher and the Knighthawks and that is it for their live sports but a lot of that has to do with their weak night signal. I would actually like to see them just simulcast WGR. Our market lacks a local morning sports show and it does not appear we are getting one anytime soon so having WGR's especially after BILLS games would be relatively beneficial to the market. It is bizarre to me that a market like Rochester now has three sports stations yet only 3 hours of local sports content per weekday and then an additional 2 on WHAM. There is enough sports here to actually run a station similar to WGR but either the signal is too weak or people in charge may just not see it that way but that's just my two cents.

T!

Sports in Rochester

For me its 950 WROC (ESPN) in Rochester. I totally get from a national ad standpoint why it's nice to have an ESPN affiliate here for Entercom but the signal is weak and there is almost zero local presence. They have St. John Fisher and the Knighthawks and that is it for their live sports but a lot of that has to do with their weak night signal. I would actually like to see them just simulcast WGR. Our market lacks a local morning sports show and it does not appear we are getting one anytime soon so having WGR's especially after BILLS games would be relatively beneficial to the market. It is bizarre to me that a market like Rochester now has three sports stations yet only 3 hours of local sports content per weekday and then an additional 2 on WHAM. There is enough sports here to actually run a station similar to WGR but either the signal is too weak or people in charge may just not see it that way but that's just my two cents.

T!

We invite you try The Team. We've affiliated with the CBS Sports Network, and have great coverage on the east at 105.5 FM and 1310 AM, and in the west at 1590 AM.

I vote WBFO.

That qualifies for the "white-sheet-with-eye-holes" remark of the season.

(And you had to resurrect a 30-month-old thread to get that cheap shot in)

Last edited:
I don't care.

Obviously you don't "care" as your dismissive remark about WBFO can also be construed to be a pejorative comment about the African American community of Buffalo that the station serves.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom