• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Good old KCBQ

M

mteran5

I know this is never going to happen, but why cant KCBQ be 50kw at night, I mean the signal is really bad, when I listen to Roy Masters at night I hear spanish KLOK in the background. And not to get off topic but if KLSD can try to be 50kw at night, why the heck not KCBQ I mean come on now that station is legendary. :D :D

Lopaka said:
KCBQ had to drop from 5kw to 1.5 kw to protect whatever KVOO is being called now.

KFAQ-AM 1170 Tulsa, Oklahoma

Media Hack Chris | SDR said:
Lopaka said:
KCBQ had to drop from 5kw to 1.5 kw to protect whatever KVOO is being called now.

KFAQ-AM 1170 Tulsa, Oklahoma
I still think thats not fair, Tulsa is pretty far away, and KLSD at 50kw at night, with that Phoenix station 1360 that is pretty close by not to mention abunch of small 1360s in California. Will I guess the FCC favors KLSD more. :(

the proposed 50kw at night for AM 1360/San Diego is not much better than the present signal. It'll be stronger, of course, but the demarc line north is roughly Encinitas/Poway and east Alpine.

The rest of the signal goes west, like Horace Greeley, to the ocean. Big cume in the ocean, not much churn.

the proposed 50kw at night for AM 1360/San Diego is not much better than the present signal. It'll be stronger, of course, but the demarc line north is roughly Encinitas/Poway and east Alpine.

The rest of the signal goes west, like Horace Greeley, to the ocean. Big cume in the ocean, not much churn.
So does that mean if 1360 would be 50kw at night, then the signal would be weaker, than if 1170 is 50kw at night then the signal would be stronger, is this due to 1360 being on a higher frequency and more noise and distortian.

mteran5 said:
So does that mean if 1360 would be 50kw at night, then the signal would be weaker, than if 1170 is 50kw at night then the signal would be stronger, is this due to 1360 being on a higher frequency and more noise and distortian.

I'm not an expert nor do I play one on radio or the message board. If David E. is on the board, he can give the best engineering answer.

The 50,000 watts that is proposed for 1360 would give the signal a boost to the present night time area. I can attest that in 92056/Oceanside, KLSD is not listenable from a half-hour prior to sunset to about a half-hour after sunset. The Arizona station is the dominate station in 92056/Oceanside.

As for KCBQ, it's nighttime signal is better. They may be using their new antenna near Lake San Vincent.

KOGO at 5kw at night has a better signal in some areas than directional stations. Again, the first para is the big disclaimer for myself.

You mention KOGO, but isn't it true that KOGO has a clear channel frequency (no pun intended) because there are no other stations to the north and so they can pattern all the way up the coast, the same way 690 could (but 1360 can't)?

Garrett said:
You mention KOGO, but isn't it true that KOGO has a clear channel frequency (no pun intended) because there are no other stations to the north and so they can pattern all the way up the coast, the same way 690 could (but 1360 can't)?

Wow! In case you missed it: "I'm not an expert nor do I play one on radio or the message board. If David E. is on the board, he can give the best engineering answer."

Garrett said:

600 is not a clear channel, but KOGO was one of th efirst occupants of the frequency so it is far less directional than most regional channel stations. KOGO protects El Paso, Vancouver, Ft. Collins among others.

The 50,000 watts that is proposed for 1360 would give the signal a boost to the present night time area. I can attest that in 92056/Oceanside, KLSD is not listenable from a half-hour prior to sunset to about a half-hour after sunset. The Arizona station is the dominate station in 92056/Oceanside.

KGB (and whatever the later calls are or were) was an original Don Lee network station, and an early allocation with the classic 5 kw day 1 kw night power, just like 1150 KRKD in LA was; its operation today is based on that pre-1930 grant and subject to the difinitive reassignment in 1941 per the NARBA treaty. What all that means, is that it can not put more than the non directional equivalent of 1 kw towards any of the stations it mutually protects on 1360. Since there is so much on 1360, the new night pattern will cause all but that 1 kw equivalent to go on a beam centered on 220 degrees and about 80 degrees wide (basically, shooting SW from the site). The signal towards Escondido, Carlsbad, Encinitas, etc. will not be that much improved. But in the areas outside North County, it will be a very strong signal-.

mteran5 said:

Higher frequencies cover less because the condutivity of the earth favors low frequencies and not high one. 1 kw on 550 covers the same as 50 kw on 1600, given the same site, tower height in degrees, etc.

There is not any difference in noise levels of any significance between 1170 and 1360, and I have no idea what you mean by "distortian(sic)" in this context.

DavidEduardo said:
mteran5 said:

Higher frequencies cover less because the condutivity of the earth favors low frequencies and not high one. 1 kw on 550 covers the same as 50 kw on 1600, given the same site, tower height in degrees, etc.

There is not any difference in noise levels of any significance between 1170 and 1360, and I have no idea what you mean by "distortian(sic)" in this context.

I meant when there is a T.V. on vacaum, or any appliance on espeacilly on the higher bandwith when listening in the house. Going back to KCBQ bad night signal there is a 1160 that is causing co-channel interfernce coming from Baja not to mention them steping on KSL Salt Lake City.

mteran5 said:
I meant when there is a T.V. on vacaum, or any appliance on espeacilly on the higher bandwith when listening in the house. Going back to KCBQ bad night signal there is a 1160 that is causing co-channel interfernce coming from Baja not to mention them steping on KSL Salt Lake City.

The TV will affect 1360 or 1170 the same way.

There is no co-channel station in Baja California, Norte or Sur. The closest is a next adjacent channel one on 1160, XEQIN in very southern BCN, in indigenous languages, with 100 watts. Hardly interference to 1170 in San Diego. Likewise, KSL is not co-channel with KCBQ, either.

DavidEduardo said:
The closest is a next adjacent channel one on 1160, XEQIN in very southern BCN, in indigenous languages, with 100 watts.

I believe you are in error, David.

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/info?call=XEQIN&service=AM

FWIW the link shows they now have 10,000 watts. I personally heard them interfering with KSL after sunset during the winter months earlier this year. At times they totally stepped on KSL and magically ;) disappeared around 7 pm PST the usual time when, as you have pointed out, many Mexican AM stations reduce power. The radio-locator site does not indicate a nighttime power perhaps you can tell us what that might be.

Remember what a great station KCBQ was? When I was a kid I saw either James or Robert Harmon of Mighty 690 cruising around La Jolla then when our family moved to Pt Loma Lee Bartell lived in the neighborhood. I often wondered if they ever met or ran into each other at parties, what they thought of each other, how they related, etc. Radio was a personal business. Remember the KFI tower in downtown San Francisco? I finally found an explanation on the history of Bay Area radio site--Earle C. Anthony had it put up across the street from the Don Lee facilities of KFRC just to needle him. We were lucky, we got radio at its best.

SuperRadioFan said:
DavidEduardo said:
The closest is a next adjacent channel one on 1160, XEQIN in very southern BCN, in indigenous languages, with 100 watts.

I believe you are in error, David.

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/info?call=XEQIN&service=AM

FWIW the link shows they now have 10,000 watts. I personally heard them interfering with KSL after sunset during the winter months earlier this year. At times they totally stepped on KSL and magically ;) disappeared around 7 pm PST the usual time when, as you have pointed out, many Mexican AM stations reduce power. The radio-locator site does not indicate a nighttime power perhaps you can tell us what that might be.

It's a daytimer, but the SCT in Mexico lists it at 100 watts... they are not 100% accurate in updating, though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom