• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

And the award for the worst sounding alternative station goes to.....

Houston's 94.5 The Buzz!

There may be other large market CC alt stations that sound just as bad, but this is one I have experience with. I mean, the playlist is so unimaginative, the morning show is horrendous (Rod Ryan? Umm...you're non-offensive type of chick talk belongs somewhere else...and yes, I know they do interview Astros players from time to time), and their playlist must be one of the smallest I've ever experienced.

But....they're the only game in town for new rock, so they rate very, very high with the locals. To me, 106.1 out of Beaumont or KACC in Alvin are much better.

Can there be any lamer large market alternative stations? I'm sure there are, but i've yet to experience them.

G

upstate29651 said:
Houston's 94.5 The Buzz!

There may be other large market CC alt stations that sound just as bad, but this is one I have experience with. I mean, the playlist is so unimaginative, the morning show is horrendous (Rod Ryan? Umm...you're non-offensive type of chick talk belongs somewhere else...and yes, I know they do interview Astros players from time to time), and their playlist must be one of the smallest I've ever experienced.

But....they're the only game in town for new rock, so they rate very, very high with the locals. To me, 106.1 out of Beaumont or KACC in Alvin are much better.

Can there be any lamer large market alternative stations? I'm sure there are, but i've yet to experience them.

G

So even though a station has high ratings (i.e. gives the people what they want?) they should change because you think their playlist is too narrow. You should come visit NYC, where we only have one new rock outlet and NOBODY listens.

Here's a few to add to the list:

101.1 WJRR/Orlando: This station shouldn't even be reporting as alternative, active rock may suit them better.

DC 101/Washington: Their "currents" are a bit outdated, and they're throwing in Guns N' Roses, like WJRR. Ick!

WRXL/Richmond: Notice they've all been Clear Channel stations so far?

92.3 K-Rock/New York: Another station that's reporting as alternative, but shouldn't be. And they have so much potential to really serve their audience.

Jacko

107.7 THE END IN SEATTLE, BABY!
ALL THE WAY! FROM 1ST TO WORST!
CAN YOU COUNT HOW MANY TIMES THE PLOT HAS BEEN LOST

LASLO, YOU HAVE A HOME IN KANSAS CITY - GO BACK
YOU'RE TAKING UP PRECIOUS AIRTIME!! ;)

Makes me glad to be in Boston with an independantly owned, for over 24 years, alt station named WFNX...:)

Jacko said:
92.3 K-Rock/New York: Another station that's reporting as alternative, but shouldn't be. And they have so much potential to really serve their audience.

Im curious as to how committed owners really are to this stations success.

102.1 KDGE in Dallas/Fort Worth is utter garbage. A total shame because KDGE in the late 80's and early 90's was one of the finest alternative stations around - until Clear Channel got a hold of it.

If these stations have bands like Seether and Nickelback on their playlist, then that is definitely not "alternative." I heard this one so-called alt station when I was down in Charlotte, 106.5 I believe was the dial position, and all they played was that nu-metal crap from like 2001. I never heard any Killers, Bravery or Weezer to speak about.

Worst Alt? KCXX in San Bdno...bottom feeding 1 share for years and horrible airstaff...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom