• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Glenn Beck

P

pberger

Yesterday, for the first time, I tried to listen to Glenn Beck for an hour to see what he is like.

I had to give up after 20 minutes, it was so juvenile. He was calling convenience stores in Atlanta and Houston to see which ones were the dumbest, asking simple questions, such as "what gulf borders Texas?" or what is the name of our national anthem? It was like something I would expect to find on MTV.

It makes me wonder why KTAR chose him? Are they going after the teenagers?

I would have thought they could steal Bill O'Reilly from KFNX and gotten a bigger audience. Or G. Gordon Liddy. I haven't heard him for a long time, but I used to find him interesting for a nationally syndicated show.

I remember when I first got hooked on talk radio. They were local, call-in talk shows. You got the pulse of what people were thinking about local events. I thought it was like reading the letters to the editor column, only better, because you sort of got to know what people were thinking.

What made it work was the feeling of participation. You would be tempted to call in and express your views, then somebody else would call in and say what was on your mind, as if you had called. Whether you called or not, you had the opportunity to do it.

Now with only syndicated shows, delayed probably 75% of the time, you no longer can per be a participant. How many calls does Rush take? 3 an hour? And he would not be talking about what you are hearing if you did call in. Same for all of the canned shows.

The only time I hear local calls on a syndicated show is when it is broadcast live. (Ray Lucia on KFNN comes to mind, I hear calls from Phoenix or Scottsdale almost every day).

Too bad local sations don't realize that when you delay a show, you are disenfranchising your listeners. If they broadcast the show live, your listeners have the opportunity to call in, and if they do, then the show takes on a local flavor. Listen to Ray Lucia on KFNN at 10 a.m. and see what I mean.

Some day I am going to do some research and see what local station broadcasts the most live shows, and who broadcast the most local talk shows.

pberger said:
He was calling convenience stores in Atlanta and Houston...

Too bad he didn't call any convenience stores in Phoenix...

Beck: You're on the air, so turn your radio down.

Clerk: Hey nimrod, it's 6:40am. Your show isn't on until noon. You were
expecting a seven-second delay? Didn't the KT'R Master Blogger
tell you you're on a six-hour delay?

Yup, Glenn--by mere chance--would have called the one Circle K staffer
who is radio-savvy and reads this board! ;)

I didn't hear the convenience store stuff, but I don't like Glenn Beck because he's a racist Bush apologist. We have enough of them.

Glenn Beck: Rusty Humphries doing a bad Limbaugh impersonation.

Why TMISU go syndicated Noon - Three and local (should be loco) from 7-10pm is beyond Nurse Jeff and me!

He would have worked better on that CBS FM talk station, but doesn't fit in on KTAR. I have to go to KFYI when he comes on. Wouldn't KFYI have put Beck on if he was so great?

pberger said:
I would have thought they could steal Bill O'Reilly from KFNX and gotten a bigger audience. Or G. Gordon Liddy.

O'Reilly and Liddy's combined audience is tiny compared to Beck's. Glenn may not be hitting it out of the park nationally, but he's way ahead of Bill O. That said.......

kzewdude said:
Wouldn't KFYI have put Beck on if he was so great?

.......THAT is an excellent point.

Umm, it's a weekly bit he does. For an hour. Big deal.

As to KFYI, it's hard to see where he'd fit amongst the two top shows in the country, which have been #1 12+ for a some time, Barry Young, and the self-mandated local AMD/PMD shows.

he pukes on the radio, but not on tv. ???

WHO'S DO'N IT FOR YA EVERYBODY.!? GLENN BECK MORNING ZOO, PUMP'N THA WATTAGE INTO YOUR COTTAGE.

9:19, 41 AHEAD OF 10...

ZOO IQ IS NEXT. :D

If a CC station thinks a syndicated show can hurt it, and it's available, it will find a place to park the show, even if it's at night or overnights or weekends.

A) The puking is a character for the aforementioned weekly feature (some fake morning show host with a crazy name)

B) Premiere is not going to move a show from a Class C FM, where it has a weekday prime-time clearance, to nights or weekends on another station. Why would they? The network aside, Glenn himself is more picky than just about any other host, and turns down certain stations, as well as almost 100% of them that want to run his show after 7pm (WCKG-F/Chicago being the only recent exception, probably because it's, well, Chicago). So, KFYI would have to bounce Barry Young out, which isn't going to happen.

A) The puking is a character for the aforementioned weekly feature (some fake morning show host with a crazy name)

no, he was doing his regular schtick.

he kinda reminds me of bruce kelly, but puking.

Say what you want about Glenn Beck, but he is extremely successful at what he does. Whether you agree, disagree or don't care about what he says, the man is making some serious scratch. 8) I'd love to have half the audience and even half the paycheck. ;D

KOHS said:
Say what you want about Glenn Beck, but he is extremely successful at what he does. Whether you agree, disagree or don't care about what he says, the man is making some serious scratch. 8) I'd love to have half the audience and even half the paycheck. ;D

A majority of white folk in Louisiana voted for David Duke too…

j henry waugh said:
KOHS said:

A majority of white folk in Louisiana voted for David Duke too…

Hey Waaaaauuuuuggggghhhhh, how does that even remotely correlate to Glenn Beck? Stick to the topic.

Father Coughlin had very good ratings too. What does that prove?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom