• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

is there any english stations in puerto rico

captex

Leading Participant
i know a person from puerto rico that can speak in english, however i look at the radio and tv listings there are all in spanish. is there any radio/tv stations that broadcast's in english?

captex said:
i know a person from puerto rico that can speak in english, however i look at the radio and tv listings there are all in spanish. is there any radio/tv stations that broadcast's in english?

Yeah, in San Juan, WOSO 1030 is all English and is news & talk. WBMJ on 1190 has some paid religion in English, as does WIVV on the Island municipality of Vieques off SE Puerto Rico on 1370 (it serves the USVI and some of the closer of the Lesser Antilles).

Other than that, there is no English radio in PR, but there is plenty of English programming on cable in the areas where there is cable service.

About a third of Puerto Ricans are bilingual, as those who go to private schools (which means anyone who can possibly afford them) is taught in both English and Spanish, and many University level courses are given in English or use English texts. Another third knows functional but limited English, and the rest are pretty much monolingual in Spanish. There are, today, only about 20,000 Continentals (folks from the mainland who are not Puerto Rican by heritage) in all PR; in the 70's the figure was several times higher.

There's also a station at 104.3 out of the US Virgin islands that covers the eastern part of PR with a decent rock format. (WZIN, The Buzz)

I just got back from Isla Verde. Yes, 104.3 is barely listenable through parts of San Juan. 105.7 Alfa Rock plays music in English and is a heavily day-parted Active Rock/Classic Rocker.

Puerto Rico is such an awesome place and the people are great. If anyone is thinking about starting up a CHR or Hot AC station for kicks, buzz me. I'd love to help.
There are many Spanish stations in Tampa and an English speaking/music station may help some learn the language and broaden their love for other varieties of music. :-\
I could live on the beach and be an oil boy for the thongs of women...or throngs. :eek:

el este said:
WVIS Radio Joe 106.1 FM broadcast music in english and spanish and is a bilingual radio station. www.radiojoe106.com

While technically in Puerto Rico, save the small populations of the island municipalities of Vieques and Culebra, this station does not put a "usable" (65 dbu) signal over more than a couple of square miles of the PR mainland: this is essentally a Virgin Islands station, and not a parciularly good one of those, either.

I would think as close as the USVI are to Puerto Rico that you could pick up their stations? I know they have a good Classic Hits station in the USVI "Mongoose" can't remember the frequency though but i've listened to it on the internet

bgrn198 said:
I would think as close as the USVI are to Puerto Rico that you could pick up their stations? I know they have a good Classic Hits station in the USVI "Mongoose" can't remember the frequency though but i've listened to it on the internet

None of the stations have signals that put a 70dbu over anything more than the very NE tip of PR. Remember, PR has mountains in all but the narrow coastal areas, and El Yunque (where the famous rainforest is) stands in the way of signals getting farther inland... plus the VI stations are ot at very great heights.

None has ever shown up in the ratings in PR, either Arbitron or Asesores.

Doesnt KQ 105 and also 100.7 and 103.7 play some english CHR music,, I know the stations are primarly spanish, but in the 90s I went to San Juan and Enjoyed a few stations that played a mix of spanish and english CHR and Dance music.. KQ was one of them, and I think 100.7 may have been the other.

Mid West Clubber said:
Doesnt KQ 105 and also 100.7 and 103.7 play some english CHR music,, I know the stations are primarly spanish, but in the 90s I went to San Juan and Enjoyed a few stations that played a mix of spanish and english CHR and Dance music.. KQ was one of them, and I think 100.7 may have been the other.

All over Latin America there are loads of stations that include all or some English language songs. There range form CHR and pop to AC and hard rock. At one time, in Lima, of 23 FMs 19 played mostly English language music.

DavidEduardo said:
bgrn198 said:

None of the stations have signals that put a 70dbu over anything more than the very NE tip of PR. Remember, PR has mountains in all but the narrow coastal areas, and El Yunque (where the famous rainforest is) stands in the way of signals getting farther inland... plus the VI stations are ot at very great heights.

None has ever shown up in the ratings in PR, either Arbitron or Asesores.

That's true, they are not strong; but you can listen to a couple of signals from the USVI in the car if you don't mind the occasional drop-out. I tended to like the urban format of WVJZ 105.3, which was a lot stronger than 104.9. Particularly true in areas like Condado, Isla Verde, northern Carolina and along the northeast coast. Once you get inland or too far west/south, forget it.

Also, Z(zed)BVI 780 seems to come in pretty well along the north and east coasts of PR and offers a pretty interesting, eclectic, mix of programming from the British Virgin Islands.

But, whatever you do, don't overlook the San Juan locals in Spanish which offer some great, hi-energy, formatics and fine talent.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom