• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Last Halifax AM applies for FM move

mjlarochelle

Star Participant
According to the CRTC website, CTV is applying to move CJCH (920) in Halifax to 101.3 FM. CJCH is an oldies station and they want to keep oldies on the new FM station. Given what we saw yesterday with CFFX Kingston, I don't see any hurdles for CJCH to move.

The inevitable end of an era in Halifax radio is coming fast.

M.J. said:
Given what we saw yesterday with CFFX Kingston, I don't see any hurdles for CJCH to move.

The inevitable end of an era in Halifax radio is coming fast.

So then, will both CFFX and CJCH end up sounding alot like Evanov's Jewel stations now, or will there be a huge difference?

Example of a Jewel FM station: (Newmarket, Ontario)
http://www.885thejewel.com/

Now, listen to AM 740, then listen to 88.5 FM.
Huge difference there, because certain things still can not be done on FM.

As for the oldies, (1050 Chum, or CKOC style) unless the plan is to find cover tunes from the 80's to absorb some of the content, I don't see how it can be done.

The current regs in Canada are just too strict.
This is why the Evanov group isn't in any big hurry to focus more on the 60's/70's hit music sound rather than the current format found on their Jewel stations.

I am surprised a city the size and stature of Halifax would not have an news / talk formatted station on AM or to keep this type of format alive on the AM band. Halifax is a great city ! iAM reception is great at night since most of the eastern New England Am stations blast across the water and boom into Halifax. Nothing beats Yarmouth for Am reception, amazing to the radio fan.

It all boils down to competition. I highly doubt that listenership of New England stations in Halifax at night is of any amount worth noting, since most of those stations today are news/talk. The only exception I can see is for sports, if someone wants to listen to a Bruins game on WBZ, for example.

Otherwise, since CJCH is the only AM station left in Halifax, it would be imprudent of them to stay on AM since all the local competition is on FM - unless they were getting phenomenal ratings on AM. It's the same reason CBA is leaving AM in Moncton. It's sad, but it's the reality of the business.

I wonder why all AM stations are moving to FM.. (They get out better on the AM band)

I dunno.........

The Dude said:
I wonder why all AM stations are moving to FM.. (They get out better on the AM band)

I dunno.........

What's going on now in Canada may very well have gone on 15 years ago instead, if the regs of today were the same then.

The best example has to be the 49% non hit rule for FM.
(currently absent, give or take a market)
The CRTC really went the extra mile to protect AM radio until one day they finally realized there's just no point!
(for the most part, give or take a current reg...)

No point in having a news/talk on AM in Halifax with one already on FM (News 95.7). Will be more interesting to see what becomes of Kool with CTV stating they'll sell off thier share if they get approval...which puts Newcap's plans to flip CFDR to modern rock based on Newcap selling THIER share of CFDR. Seems that CTV(Chum) are just playing a game to stall Newcap's new FM. Much like they did with Evanov, by re-doing thier transmitter that they agreed to lease to Evanov, delaying Evanov's launch by almost a year. With Global's FM license still up for grabs, leaves the door wide open for Corus or Astral to come into the market. Interesting few months ahead.

Arnold Schoenberg said:
With Global's FM license still up for grabs, leaves the door wide open for Corus or Astral to come into the market. Interesting few months ahead.

Don't rule out Evanov.
If there is a struggling station there, but the signal is stronger than their current Z signal, I wouldn't put it past them to try and move Z to the stronger signal and turn Halifax's 103.5 into something else.

Two licenses up for grabs...Evanov can't take both of them.
103.5 is a pretty good signal..I can usually get them heading towards Halifax from the Amherst/Wentworth valley area. Locally in Metro very strong as well. Certainly enough to cover the central.

Approval granted by the CRTC

Per this week's NERW, CTVglobemedia has permission to move CJCH to 101.3 with a full 100 kw. As a condition of the move CTVglobemedia must spin off its interest in CKUL-FM.

With CHNS now on FM and CKDR soon to go FM, Halifax is in line to be the largest city in Canada with no AM radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom