• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KCDQ BELGRADE

Slurpee

Inactive
Inactive User
I was reading the board about CC in Bozeman.. Remember the good old days before CC? Remember 96.7 KCDQ in Bozeman? Chad Parish.. Dan Walker.. Don Kelly.. Gregg Williams.. Mike Horton.. Don. St John.. Benny Bee Jr.. Steve Mills.. Erik Funk.. Melody Sullivan..

I see that DSJ is out of the Biz, but what ever happened to the rest of these folks? I graduated from Belgrade HS in 1987. KCDQ was thee station til 1985 I think.

Just rememberin' and thinkin'..

And Eric Funk has been here in Whitefish for over 15 years..Has his own voice over studio...Not in radio...

Hey.... DSJ here... Last I heard Don Kelly was in Idaho somewhere at some oldies station. Chad is OM in Missoula (KGRZ/Eagle93, etc). Melody was there for a while too, not sure if she still is. Like Magic said, Benny Jr is up in the Fat-Head at his dad's joint. Mike Holten was in Kalispell for a while a number of years ago, but I think he retired from the biz too. Williams was in Oxnard California for a few years after he jammed from Bozoville, but he too has dropped off the face of the earth. No idea where he is. Dan Walker,, Steve Mills, and the others, not even a clue. Me, like you read elsewhere, am in the Black Hills, SD hunkered down with my wife and cat in our palatial estate, having to endure and listen to really sucky radio. That is, when I actually DO turn the radio on.

Yea, KCDQ rocked back then. At least in the beginning. Don Kelly... what a voice. THE voice of Sound Pro. Remember me and Greg's cash call? Where we called pay phones and told the poor chump that answered the phone at least 3 times how much was in the pot, then asked them how much was there? 9 times out of 10 they didn't have a clue, even after we gave them the answer. We started at 37 cents, and added a penny each day they got it wrong. cause that's all we could personally afford, and management was too cheap to fund a real promotion. Or that's what we told the listeners, anyway. It really pissed off KBOZ (K-B Hoze me) cause they were doing a legit cash call at the same time. Oh well. That was real radio.

Gotta run...
Hasta La Vista...

Hey Don, thanks for the update. I do remember your cash call. I think I also remember you and Gregg "showing" slides on the radio. I live in Las Vegas now and ran into Chad's Son Brent a couple years ago. He didn't really know where anyone was. Well thanks again for the update

The slide show. Yea... lol. Greg had flown down to CA to watch the shuttle land at Edwards AFB, and came back with a few hundred pics. Pretty awesome ones too. So... we just showed them to everyone on the air. Theatre of the mind, sound effects and all.

Worked in the '30's. *shrug*

;D

Wow this is an old thread but just now finding it :)
Steve Mills Here. I've been in Seattle radio for over 25 years currently working as the Production Director for KLCK "Click FM Modern Music". Been with this company (now Hubbard) for 15 years. occasionally I try to do searches on us KCDQ guys to see where everyone is at and what they're up to. Good to know you guys are still around.
KCDQ I love that station! It was my start. I'll never forget the time I walked into the radio station in 1982 and wanted to be a DJ. Greg Williams was there and said "let's spin a couple records and see how you sound". I was the worse ever. He even told me that month later when I ran into him a month later but he called me and said you might have some talent so he gave me a break. I wouldn't be here in Seattle or radio today if it wasn't for KCDQ and the people who worked there. Good ole' days indeed. I'm lucky to have been a part of that scene when radio was at it's best...and FUN! ya know? Cart machines, reel to reel! Putting on "American Pie" or "Frampton" or something long enough to sneak down to the Red Baron Burger joint & back in time lol! It's all true man! It's all true! Hope all you guys are doing well if you ever read this. Cheers from Seattle. It's been a good life that continues :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom