• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Where's No Name?

T

Talking Furniture

Is No Name really not showing up for work at Alice as part of his contract negotiations?

You don't see that much here in LA. Jocks do that here and they get replaced.
Personally if I'm the PD, I'll tell them that if they can't work while negotiating, don't bother coming back.
It's not like they're a Howard Stern or a Rush. It's a freaking AC station! Don't they realize how lucky
they are to even have a steady gig in this business. Talk about ego...

If you are responsible for bringing in all the money at a station, you are allowed to hold out to prove a point. And in a very loose comparison, it is like Stern. They earn the money, and they know that if CBS fired them, every other station would bid for them. The PD at Alice has no authority over the morning show, they only listen to the top. Jealousy is a stinky cologne.

And I don't think Seacrest would get fired in LA if he did the same thing. I would compare other LA jocks, but I don't know any and don't care about them.

Not so sure they're as marketable if they've led themselves to believe. There are several other more accomplished morning/personality shows with better ratings and more talent (imho) and no radio station to call home...

yourmom said:
If you are responsible for bringing in all the money at a station, you are allowed to hold out to prove a point. And in a very loose comparison, it is like Stern. They earn the money, and they know that if CBS fired them, every other station would bid for them. The PD at Alice has no authority over the morning show, they only listen to the top. Jealousy is a stinky cologne.

And I don't think Seacrest would get fired in LA if he did the same thing. I would compare other LA jocks, but I don't know any and don't care about them.

Yes its stinky cologne, sorry if you feel I rankled you, but I'm not jealous, I do okay. Just making an observation based on what I've seen here. I've never thought that holding out was an honorable way to get what you want, but times have changed.

Don't think Seacrest would hold out, I think he'll pretty much get what he wants as long as it's within reason and as long as he continues to be a national TV personality on highly visible shows, not something that I would equate with No Name. Don't see the comparison. I believe that you're correct that other companies would bid for a successful personality because they bring the audience, plus the no-compete clause in not enforceable in California, so they can usually start as soon as their contract with the station they're leaving is up. Yes PD's at most stations with high profile morning shows usually have little control over them just like the manager of a baseball team, that's a given, nothing new there.

yourmom said:

You are so right about PD of Alice having no authority over morning show. What an interesting dynamic when you inherit a successful show.

Yes its stinky cologne, sorry if you feel I rankled you, but I'm not jealous

Crap, I'm Jealous. I wish I had that kind of audience when the contracts were swirling

yourmom said:
Yes its stinky cologne, sorry if you feel I rankled you, but I'm not jealous

Crap, I'm Jealous. I wish I had that kind of audience when the contracts were swirling

Don't we all, I do...

calguy said:
You don't see that much here in LA. Jocks do that here and they get replaced.
Personally if I'm the PD, I'll tell them that if they can't work while negotiating, don't bother coming back.
It's not like they're a Howard Stern or a Rush. It's a freaking AC station! Don't they realize how lucky
they are to even have a steady gig in this business. Talk about ego...

well.... sarah makes like twice as much his him, if not more, and he is the only reason to listen to that show.
hope he gets what he wants out of this.
its not about ego, its about what's right.

No Name will return. With a bigger paycheck but not the obscene amount of money he was asking for. And not with the ability to do his part of show - the yelling and inarticulate "street" pose - from Los Angeles.

No Name holding out? C'mon. If John Mack Flannigan is working as a security guard in a high-rise....

Here today and gone tomorrow and nobody cares. Perfect example....Terilyn Joe!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom