• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any new topics around the City?

newsperson

Inactive
Inactive User
Hello,

Are they any new topics of interest around the City or anywhere in the market?

We have beat the KFRC topic to death and we all know that the Pope's followers are climbing up Candle Sitck Hill. So let's talk about some new subjects.

The Citalel has taken over KGO and KSFO and the KGO-TV and KMKY 1310 Khz. operations have been segregated from the two new Citadel stations (KGO & KSFO).

The former ABC employees have all been issued new Citadel IDs.

Production Boy!

What is the news on the first day of the new owners operation?
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Other subjects?

Movin 99.7 was on where I had my haircut tonight. I noticed they are still running generic "I love your station phone calls". Personally they have enough listeners, why don't they make their own?

The ladies at the haircut shop were so releived to listen to Movin instead of Star 101.3, so they have built up some following and have provided a real alternative to soft AC.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

We have not talked about KTRB in quite a while. You may have noticed their bus billboards..."KTRB AM 860, Mancow in the morning, 50,000 watts.

I always like to advertise a station call letters and the frequency. However how many listeners remember Mancow that would listen today?

How much do the listeners care if the station is 50,000 watts?

I will look forward to your replies and thoughts on these new topics.

Newsperson

"Are they any new topics of interest around the City or anywhere in the market? We have beat the KFRC topic to death and we all know that the Pope's followers are climbing up Candle Sitck Hill."

Yes - the cobwebs are gathering on this board lately. There's not much more to say about KFRC until the "Magical Mystery Tour" ends and real programming starts...could be weeks or months, at this rate.

"The Citalel has taken over KGO and KSFO and the KGO-TV and KMKY 1310 Khz. operations have been segregated from the two new Citadel stations (KGO & KSFO)."

Unlike LA, where KABC needs some serious repair work (it has for about a decade since KFI started to whip its sorry old butt), I doubt Citadel will make many changes at top rated KGO or Top 5 rated KSFO...not many that will be heard on air, at any rate.

"Movin 99.7 was on where I had my haircut tonight. I noticed they are still running generic "I love your station phone calls". Personally they have enough listeners, why don't they make their own?"

KFRC is running these generic promos, too - it would be funny if they're the same ones. What's the point of these, anyway? Do the promotions people have no imagination at all?

"We have not talked about KTRB in quite a while. You may have noticed their bus billboards..."KTRB AM 860, Mancow in the morning, 50,000 watts."

My adult children (24 and 20) were huge Mancow fans in the early 90s when they were kids, and he was on Wild 107...we used to listen when I was driving them to school. They've noticed the bus ads - but they're not listening to KTRB. Their Top 5 "Arbs" would be (1) MP3 Player, (2) CDs, (3) The Bone, (4) Live 105, (5) tie: KMEL/Wild 94.9.

"How much do the listeners care if the station is 50,000 watts?"

Considering the signal still manages to suck, and the sound quality is awful (at least, last time I checked), 50K watts doesn't mean much. Is it directional to the Farallones, or something? I can't get the station in my house in Bernal Heights.

For what it's worth, those are my fascinating comments. Have a good week, everyone.

It has been a "slow news day around the bay" for a while newsperson. On the subject of station id's I do miss the days of customized call id's like K-101 or "1170 KLOK RADIO" to hear id's such as "KISS FM" or "STAR" first you don't know dail position if your not from the area and you happen to not catch it. Second you can go to any city USA and hear the same id's, this sounds like cookie cutter stations (I know they are) but I want to go to a city and feel like the station I am listenting to is exclusive to that city. As far as watts nobody cares except for die hard radio fans. Hopefully that should kick start some talk.

Lkeller said:
Yes - the cobwebs are gathering on this board lately. There's not much more to say about KFRC until the "Magical Mystery Tour" ends and real programming starts...could be weeks or months, at this rate.

Magical mystery tour is over. It ended it 12A Sat following the end of the A's game. Regular programming has started. Look for Jocks soon. At least 1 daypart debuts within the next couple weeks.

Radio is now perfect in the Bay Area. Every one has their format. We all know our favorite jocks are but a pen signing away. We know that the mega-conglomerates have been beaten about the head and shoulders by posters here and have tossed in the towel to "do the right thing," for a change.

Even audiences are applauding Citadel today for their graciousness in buying and transitioning through the KGO/KSFO deal.

And soon. Soon we'll all have high paying, benefit packed, large cumed radio jobs to work.

We sure taught that CBS, didn't we? And Bonneville selling off 1260 like that. Well, at least it went to a good cause.

Life is good!

Hello Newsperson...

Citadel Day one and two at 810 and 560...Business as usual with new ID Cards and a frustrating email
system... I know our KSFO PD and KGO News director somehow got included on the Country PD's email
routing list...They were happy to report the new Vince Gill single is doing well...

The New ID's are Green, so everyones picture sort of has an Incredable Hulk Tint to it. The ABC Stations are being held in a seperate group for the moment, With John Hares retirement, Mitch Dolan of ABC is in charge
of the ABC Group and reports directly to Faried Suleman the CEO of Citadel. Judy Ellis of Citadel, She is COO,
is in charge of Citadels 221 Pre ABC stations and she also reports to Faried.

Citadels Director of Engineering sent me The Faried Suleman Bobble Head...No, I'm not kidding! So I tossed out my mouse ears, and put up the New Boss. He now stares knowingly from my Right hand Studio Monitor. ;)

I think we'll be OK for about 6 months.

I would put Bernie Ward on kabc by remote...starting with a weekend show....I would -put his picture on the side of LA City Buses...

Hey, back to the KTRB 50,000W thing- I care! I live in Livermore and that 50KW is stepping all over KGO witth off-freq tones and other miscellaneous crap. At least my CC Radio is somewhat forgiving; if you have an analog radio you can forget about any reception of KGO at all. I suppose the fact that I can see the towers from my house (errr...almost) doesn't help much. I can almost feel the 50KW on my skin when I'm on Vallecitos road.

Um, JV from the Dog House posted something on doghousefans.com updating their fans?

Yes that's right there were 50 Radio Disney stations that were not included in the sale. These stations are not money makers and only a company who has an interest in extending the Disney brand would want to run their format. The ABC owned ESPN affiliates were also excluded.

There are a few non-ABC owned Radio Disney affilates and thoses stations run them because they are paid affiliations.

ABC also owns KIID 1470 in Sacramento, that's the old KNDE 70s top-40 station and it does out perform Radio Disney's San Francisco outlet.

So we don't expect any flips, the changes we will see are at the ABC Radio Network. Any speculation and thoughts on what new programs may be coming and what programs or features will be dropped by the ABC radio Network?

I will look for your replies.

Newsperson

Production Boy said:
Hello Newsperson...

Citadel Day one and two at 810 and 560...Business as usual with new ID Cards and a frustrating email
system... I know our KSFO PD and KGO News director somehow got included on the Country PD's email
routing list...They were happy to report the new Vince Gill single is doing well...

The New ID's are Green, so everyones picture sort of has an Incredable Hulk Tint to it. The ABC Stations are being held in a seperate group for the moment, With John Hares retirement, Mitch Dolan of ABC is in charge
of the ABC Group and reports directly to Faried Suleman the CEO of Citadel. Judy Ellis of Citadel, She is COO,
is in charge of Citadels 221 Pre ABC stations and she also reports to Faried.

Citadels Director of Engineering sent me The Faried Suleman Bobble Head...No, I'm not kidding! So I tossed out my mouse ears, and put up the New Boss. He now stares knowingly from my Right hand Studio Monitor. ;)

I think we'll be OK for about 6 months.

What happens in 10 years? Does ABC News go away or ABC buys Citadel outright?
Chow!

My question is: What happens to the KGO calls? Will the TV station keep them or will the radio station keep them? After all they had them first. Right? Also will Citadel aquire any FM stations in the market?

"My question is: What happens to the KGO calls? Will the TV station keep them or will the radio station keep them? After all they had them first. Right? Also will Citadel aquire any FM stations in the market?"

I couldn't even guess about your second question - but regarding the first, I don't think there's any rule that 2 companies can't share call letters. And aren't the TV station's calls officially "KGO-TV?" Given that it's a brand name as well as legal call letters, it makes sense for both to keep them. Or maybe the TV station doesn't care now that they're branding as "ABC7." Non-radio example: the automobile division of Volvo is now owned by Ford, but the truck division by a Swedish company. Both are still "Volvo."

The KGO Calls stay right where they are. It was part of the Deal. WABC NY and KABC LA would present the same sort of problem. Farid knows the value of the ABC Calls, and for that matter so did Disney. Citadel also
has the rights to use the "ABC Radio Network" for 10 years. Since the Call letters are kind of a Brand Name in their respective markets, there is much value in buying them and selling them. Just ask Mr Suleman and Mr Iger. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom